Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AHHHHHH My back!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 12:19 PM
Nightster 13
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AHHHHHH My back!!!!!

So I only rode about 80 miles yesterday cause the weather was beautiful and my lower back is killing me.&nbsp\\; Does anyone have this problem or is it just that i need to toss the stock seat?&nbsp\\; I am 6'4 and have forward controls and 12" mini apes on the bike.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:27 PM
hogsport
Road Master
Default RE: AHHHHHH My back!!!!!

I am 6'4" as well, sportys need some mods to be comfortable for full sized people.
1 yes, a better seat - I have a corbin gunfighter I think is great.
&nbsp\\;
2 maybe extending your cotrols forward - I did mine +5" - see nevets mod in the stickys
&nbsp\\;
3 more travel in the suspension

Old 06-19-2008, 12:30 PM
Nightster 13
Tourer

ORIGINAL: hogsport

I am 6'4" as well, sportys need some mods to be comfortable for full sized people.
1 yes, a better seat - I have a corbin gunfighter I think is great.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
2 maybe extending your cotrols forward - I did mine +5" - see nevets mod in the stickys
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
3 more travel in the suspension
&nbsp\\;
+5", man please post that link.&nbsp\\; I definitely need that.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:33 PM
GringoLoco
Cruiser

Just looking at your sig pic I can see that you're slumping your lower back, basically sitting on the back of your ***.&nbsp\\; Try scooting (rotating? can't really slide back) your *** back and sitting up more straight.&nbsp\\; My lower back was really bothering me too until I made myself adjust my posture.&nbsp\\; I know, not as much fun or cool as buying something, but it might work the best.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:53 PM
sbergloff
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: GringoLoco

Just looking at your sig pic I can see that you're slumping your lower back, basically sitting on the back of your ***.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Try scooting (rotating? can't really slide back) your *** back and sitting up more straight.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; My lower back was really bothering me too until I made myself adjust my posture.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I know, not as much fun or cool as buying something, but it might work the best.
&nbsp\\;
I was going to say the same thing.&nbsp\\; When I sit like that, my back gets sore after a short while.&nbsp\\; Try straightening your back while you ride.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:03 PM
tiger_rider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the previous poster. I used to slump in the seat like that and had a lot of back pain in less than an hour until I sat up straight. Going to more extended forward controls are only going to increase the tendency to slump in the seat.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:16 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,913 Likes on 1,428 Posts

Yeah, didn't yo momma tell you to sit up straight?&nbsp\\; Turns out it is important.&nbsp\\; If you can't sit up straight in your seat, you need to change something so that you're comfortable:&nbsp\\; Seat, control locations, bars, etc.&nbsp\\; Of course, some people like a certain look, regardless of comfort or functionality, but I prefer things that work right first.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:19 PM
ChefE
Tourer

My back hurt until I changed the position of my bars.&nbsp\\; I have 10" mini apes on the stock 883C riser and was hunched forward to reach them.&nbsp\\; I rolled them back a bit so they are at the same angle as the forks and now I sit upright and don't have to lean forward to reach them.&nbsp\\; Oh yeah, my back and arms don't hurt anymore when I ride either.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:22 PM
GringoLoco
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Dr.Hess

Yeah, didn't yo momma tell you to sit up straight?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Turns out it is important.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; If you can't sit up straight in your seat, you need to change something so that you're comfortable:&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Seat, control locations, bars, etc.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Of course, some people like a certain look, regardless of comfort or functionality, but I prefer things that work right first.
The man IS a doctor.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-19-2008, 01:41 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,913 Likes on 1,428 Posts

I'm also married to a Chiropractor, so when my back hurts, I know right where to go.

Quick Reply: AHHHHHH My back!!!!!