Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blown clutch here

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 05:10 PM
aceospades
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blown clutch here

i havent been around for a while. just wanted to chime in and let you know that my clutch was acting up intermittently. so i read around here and on another forum to see what the possible causes could be and i have the same problem sportypig had last year.the damn spring plate in the center of all the clutch plates(the one that has the brass rivets) shredded apart and destroyed the friction plates and gouged up the clutch shell..i filed the burr marks out of the shell and am waiting on my new clutch set from energy one with the extra plates that eliminates the spring plate. just to let all of you know that if you are out of warranty and are the least bit abusive to your bike i would look into a ne clutch setup without the spring plate before its too late. i think i caught mine just in the nick of time.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:27 AM
lostrider06
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: blown clutch here

I just installed that same kit from energy one. So far i am extremly happy with it. its a big improvment over stock i think you will be happy with it. My problem with the stock clutch was that once it got hot i noticed it sliping sligltly wen i would realy get in the throttle in 5th gear. I had been adjusting it out but it kept doing it so i decided to&nbsp\\; replace it with the energy one &nbsp\\;

Old 06-19-2008, 01:31 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Link??

Old 06-19-2008, 02:37 AM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: lostrider06

I just installed that same kit from energy one. So far i am extremly happy with it. its a big improvment over stock i think you will be happy with it. My problem with the stock clutch was that once it got hot i noticed it sliping sligltly wen i would realy get in the throttle in 5th gear. I had been adjusting it out but it kept doing it so i decided to&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; replace it with the energy one &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
MINE FEELS LIKE ITS DOING THIS TOO!!! glad I'm not alone!

I don't have a 5th gear, but i notice when the engine is warm and i do hard roll ons from 60 up, the RPMS rise quicker than the speedo

Old 06-19-2008, 03:52 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: aceospades

i havent been around for a while. just wanted to chime in and let you know that my clutch was acting up intermittently. so i read around here and on another forum to see what the possible causes could be and i have the same problem sportypig had last year.the damn spring plate in the center of all the clutch plates(the one that has the brass rivets) shredded apart and destroyed the friction plates and gouged up the clutch shell..i filed the burr marks out of the shell and am waiting on my new clutch set from energy one with the extra plates that eliminates the spring plate. just to let all of you know that if you are out of warranty and are the least bit abusive to your bike i would look into a ne clutch setup without the spring plate before its too late. i think i caught mine just in the nick of time.
&nbsp\\;
Hey Ace... what kind of mileage did you have on your bike?
&nbsp\\;
Charlie D.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:50 AM
aceospades
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: dbleagle

ORIGINAL: aceospades

&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Hey Ace... what kind of mileage did you have on your bike?
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Charlie D.
&nbsp\\;
not even 15,000 miles yet!

Old 06-19-2008, 06:42 AM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only have 6500 miles and my clutch is almost junk But when I put it on craigslist I will clearly state it has always been garaged and never abused Rolling burnouts at 15mph,burnouts and wheelies= spent clutch

Old 06-19-2008, 08:45 AM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

&nbsp\\;Don't know if this is the one ace ordered,but here is a link to energy one.
&nbsp\\;
http://www.energyoneclutches.com/pro...2&amp\\;page=1
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;I've only got around 9000 miles and mine is slipping. I'm also looking a barnett

Old 06-19-2008, 04:41 PM
aceospades
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Mark g

&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;Don't know if this is the one ace ordered,but here is a link to energy one.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
http://www.energyoneclutches.com/pro...;\\\\\\;page=1
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;I've only got around 9000 miles and mine is slipping. I'm also looking a barnett
&nbsp\\;
yes thats the one i ordered. ive heard mixed revies on them and hope it works out for me.ill know tommorow when i put it in.you might just want to pull it apart and look at it..the spring plate with brass rivets might be coming apart on yours just like mine..it can cost you alot of money if the rivets get moving around in the basket..

Old 06-19-2008, 07:25 PM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the clutch upgrade increase clutch lever effort?

Quick Reply: blown clutch here