Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Nightster quesitons

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 05:46 AM
Tigerling
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Nightster quesitons

Hi everyone,

Been reading posts for a few months now collecting information on which bike I should buy and whatnot, I pretty much made up my mind on a Nightster. Heres my question or 2 maybe 3.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I live in Tampa FL, and work in Orlando, about a 90mile drive for me(one way), and was wondering if that would be a good fit for me. I'm 5'9" 200-10lbs and taking the MSF course. Now I do plan on riding around on back roads before I start riding to work so I can get a better feel for it and all.

Would that be a good bike for me? I can't really afford much more then about 10k for a bike.
Would that be to much riding for that bike as in to many miles or what?

Any other info I should take into acount before I make my buy?

Thank you again all great forum with loads of info.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:55 AM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Cycle or car

I used to ride a 1200 custom, I 5'10" and at the time weighed in at 225lbs. So the bike won't have any problem hauling you around and as long as you're comfortable on it then that's whats important. Keep in mind a couple things though, you've got a long ride to work and with Florida weather you're gonna need to carry some raingear and then whatever you carry for work. The freeway between Tampa and Orlando is crazy, heck I-4 is crazy anywhere in Florida, and when running highway speed you'll probably want a windshield.

Taking those things into consideration and the fact that you're a first time rider, you should ask yourself do you really want to start out on a Harley. If you're doing this to save gas, there's plenty of cheaper makes of bike that will get the job done and if you decide that riding isn't for you resale would probably be easier because of the lower price.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:59 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A Nightster will make that commute more fun than ever.

But if it is a lot of stop-n-go, I would think seriously about a liquid-cooled bike. Good non-HD commuters: Kawi Versys, Z1000, or a Vulcan\\; Suzuki Bandit, SV650, a Boulevard, or V-Strom (either one)\\; Honda 919, a Shadow or VTX 1300\\; a Yamaha V-Star....lots of good options. Almost all of those will outperform a stock Nightster and get better mileage. But they won't be a Nightster [\\]

Old 06-15-2008, 06:04 AM
Tigerling
4th Gear

Thanks for the reply.

ORIGINAL: sleepman54

I used to ride a 1200 custom, I 5'10" and at the time weighed in at 225lbs. So the bike won't have any problem hauling you around and as long as you're comfortable on it then that's whats important. Keep in mind a couple things though, you've got a long ride to work and with Florida weather you're gonna need to carry some raingear and then whatever you carry for work. The freeway between Tampa and Orlando is crazy, heck I-4 is crazy anywhere in Florida, and when running highway speed you'll probably want a windshield.

Taking those things into consideration and the fact that you're a first time rider, you should ask yourself do you really want to start out on a Harley. If you're doing this to save gas, there's plenty of cheaper makes of bike that will get the job done and if you decide that riding isn't for you resale would probably be easier because of the lower price.
Well I've always wanted a HD ever since I could remember, I used to ride dirtbikes and such when I was younger, haven't rode in about 12yrs though. Of course saving gas is nice, but I also want a bike that I can keep for a long time.

And as far as carrying anything to work, well I'm an aviation mechanic and my toolbox is at work and I was planing on taking a backpack to carry what I need such as rain gear and such. Windshield is a definate, but it will also be one I can take off easily for riding around town.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:17 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

to add (since it won't let me edit): I ride my 1200C everywhere, luvin' it. This winter I was considering getting a Road King as a second bike, but now with gas and such, I'm considering a Versys or a V-Strom 650. Both are incredibly comfortable, speedy (don't let "650" fool ya) and a lot better with gas, and can be had for $6-6500, add another $500 for bigger windshield and hard bags....instant commuter/errand bike. They would complement my HD in a nice way.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:27 PM
Pythagrean
Cruiser

I am still a very new rider and I have had my Nightster for a week and a half. If you buy a Nightster and you wil be doing that much traveling I would suggest a Mustang Solo seat and at least 412's Progressive shocks. This should make the ride a lot more comfortable and enjoyable. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:25 PM
confederate
Most Wanted
Received 806 Likes on 392 Posts
Default RE: Buying a Nightster quesitons

Get the bike you want period.&nbsp\\; You will love the nightster, I know I do.&nbsp\\; I downsized from a BT and have not regretted a minute of it.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:19 AM
Tigerling
4th Gear

Thank you all for the info. Ive talked to a few friends that also ride and they all pretty much agree with what is posted here. Granted they ride crotch rockets but still, to each there own.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:21 PM
sbergloff
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride my Nightster to work everyday.&nbsp\\; It's not quite as far of a commute as yours, but I don't think I would mind the distance.&nbsp\\; I'm about your size, 5'9, 200 lbs.&nbsp\\; You may want to change the seat for a more comfy ride.&nbsp\\; If you do ride almost 200 miles / day, your schedules maitanence will creep up pretty quick, so keep that in mind.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:21 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want the Nightster, get it.&nbsp\\; YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!&nbsp\\; I love mine!

Quick Reply: Buying a Nightster quesitons