Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

frustrating dyno results!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 10:40 PM
Mandog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: frustrating dyno results!!

ORIGINAL: racinorange

from everything I have read, the mods made should have produced at least 85-90 hp. Doesn't the new 1200n produce 76 hp from stock?
&nbsp\\;
no...I am sure guys in here will tell you different but your numbers for an 883 sound about right. If you want an accurate base line there are plenty of sites that list the honest HP of stock Harleys.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:49 AM
MADOGA
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this normal for all these upgrades?
I would of expected around 100hp for all that,
&nbsp\\;
certainly makes me think twice about doing a major upgrade on my 883c

Old 06-13-2008, 09:37 AM
Ric27
Road Captain

from everything I have read, the mods made should have produced at least 85-90 hp. Doesn't the new 1200n produce 76 hp from stock?
When you put all these parts together what was the basis for the combo you chose? Now I am just asking. And a lot of how a motor performs is who put it together. was it assembled by a experienced performance bike mechanic? The numbers a little low, you should be up around 80hp+. The detonating is the real issue here. probably head/piston/squish band problem.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:37 AM
Ric27
Road Captain

When you put all these parts together what was the basis for the combo you chose? Now I am just asking. And a lot of how a motor performs is who put it together. was it assembled by a experienced performance bike mechanic? The numbers a little low, you should be up around 80hp+. The detonating is the real issue here. probably head/piston/squish band problem.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:00 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

&nbsp\\;buy a Yamaha R1 if I want to go fast, or a stock sportster and leave it the hell alone!!!!
&nbsp\\;
[sm=exactly.gif]You said right there.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Terp84Alum
Road Master

Your bike should put out numbers way higher than that.&nbsp\\; Who did the build?&nbsp\\; What cams are you running?&nbsp\\; You should easily be in the 80s.&nbsp\\; The build or the tune is bad.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:26 PM
racinorange
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought the bike the way it is used. The story is that the previous owner bought it new and had the engine done up pre delivery....I confirmed the work with the dealer who sold it and built the motor. Not sure the exact specs of the cam kit, but the entire thing was put together as part of a "performance package" that the dealer offered at the time. The tech that did the tune said that I should get rid of the forcewinder, because it didn't seem to be getting enough air. He also said for the 100+ hp, I would need to have my heads re-done, but arent the thunderstorm heads supposed to be already "done"? I was expecting at least 85 h.p.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:29 PM
racinorange
Cruiser

The really funny thing is that this "seems" to be a very fast sportster...probably the fastest sporty I have ever ridden...could it be that the guy didn't do the dyno correctly?

Old 06-13-2008, 02:36 PM
racinorange
Cruiser

yeah, I am glad I bought it this way and didn't spend the $ on the upgrades...maybe this is why he sold it to buy a KTM? I still got a good deal though, 16K miles in very nice condition and all in all I have to say it runs GREAT! I paid $5800.
ORIGINAL: MADOGA

Is this normal for all these upgrades?
I would of expected around 100hp for all that,
\\\\\\;
certainly makes me think twice about doing a major upgrade on my 883c

Old 06-13-2008, 03:45 PM
EricM
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be in the mid to high 90's with that setup. Check out my sig and see my numbers. Your setup is supposed to be better than mine. You didn't say anything about clutch. If you have the stock 883 clutch that could be part of the problem. It could be slipping due to the extra power and losing some HP that way. The dyno tech who tuned mine told me that was my problem. He said if I got a better pressure plate he could get me in the 80's. What kind of ignition module do you have? When i was running the SE 883 module I had around that HP and TQ. Just plugging in the Twin Tech module jumped my numbers a few points and he was able to tune it for a few more.

Quick Reply: frustrating dyno results!!