Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any major issues with keeping the bike outside?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 08:55 PM
HDRider69
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any major issues with keeping the bike outside?

&nbsp\\;I've been parking one of my cars in the drive way since I got my bike a few days ago until I can come up with a solution. I have a two car garage but with my truck and our SUV both parked inside there just isn't enough room to get the bike inside. Both of our cars are also new and it just doesn't seem fair to put a new vehicle outside and a bike that cost a 1/4 of what the car did outside. My truck goes from front wall to the door so I have no room to work with. The wife's SUV has some room but if I put the bike in the extreme far corner and she angles in then you can't walk between the cars and its difficult to get out. And I take the risk of her bumping the bike.

I have a storage building in the back but it would be difficult to get the bike into. I have a 20x5 covered patio that extends into a 20x20 uncovered patio. I thought about just building a ramp and pulling it under the covered patio. I just hate to leave the bike outside. If I leave it out there do I need a cover and what kind?

Thanks for any advice.

BTW: Its a black 08 Nightster with Vance and Hine Short Stacks and a fuel pak so far. I am planning on doing some Z Bars and maybe a new seat. Its my 3rd bike and first Harley.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Any major issues with keeping the bike outside?

inside is better theres nothing else to it

I am fortunate to have a big enough garage for my tools bike and car[\\]

Old 06-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Teek
Road Warrior

Rust in various locations, notably the inside of the allen head screws.&nbsp\\; Rust also in the sparkplug socket on the rear jug.&nbsp\\; It collects water.&nbsp\\; Mine stays outside and mostly uncovered (it's a daily rider, so it gets wet occasionally).&nbsp\\; Any decent motorcycle cover should do if it has a heat resistant bottom so as to help not melt the cover onto the pipes.&nbsp\\; I cover mine when I KNOW it's going to be nasty outside and not going to ride for a couple of days.&nbsp\\; Mostly, though I get to it too late.&nbsp\\; I don't see any sense of covering an already wet bike.
&nbsp\\;
Teek

Old 06-05-2008, 09:14 PM
HDRider69
Cruiser

I have an 8x10 shed in the back yard. Its 10 wide and 8 from front to back. I have a shelf on the back. I'm going to try to move the shelves to the side and relocate some stuff to the garage that isn't as big as the bike.

Would there be an issues with it being in an 8x10 metal shed? Would the heat hurt anything?

Old 06-05-2008, 09:37 PM
jb4me
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine lives on the front porch I cover it with its own soft blanky then a tarp. bird poop and squirrels scare me more

Old 06-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Darksyde
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would this be considered a major issue?..........

sorry, had to do it

Old 06-05-2008, 10:16 PM
kerbykk
Road Captain

THEFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-05-2008, 10:29 PM
freekdawg1200
Road Warrior

A 2 car garage and no room for a bike?Grow a pair and tell the wife she now has to park in the driveway. [8D]

Old 06-05-2008, 10:41 PM
gilmour68
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

&nbsp\\; If I park the bike outside, I put a cover on it. During the winter, I put it in a 20 x 10 foot wooden shed, uncovered. If the temp and humidity is varying, I put a 10" oscillating fan on to move the air and keep down the condensation. I rarely leave the bike sit outside uncovered.
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-05-2008, 10:44 PM
RCWindrider
4th Gear

&nbsp\\;I have been parking my sporty outside at the apartment complex I live in for over a year (with cover), No issues until today. Really windy here in Dallas, raining this morning before work so took the truck. Get home, no cover on bike! Odd, so I take a closer look and the woman across the lot comes out and says my bike blew over about 11:00am today. She said she went back inside to tell her husband and when they came out someone had set it upright. I owe somebody a big thanks and some beers. Funny, there was about 8 people out there talking about "the incident" in just a few minutes!

Quick Reply: Any major issues with keeping the bike outside?