Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost got slammed

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 11:24 AM
smadge
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost got slammed

Out riding onTuesday and nearly got splattered by a car.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Riding down a country road and a car load of high school girls passes me - about a minute later here comes the carload of boys - obviously in hot pursuit.&nbsp\\; Each car had all the windows done up with shoe polish advertising they had graduated HS - class&nbsp\\;of 2008!&nbsp\\; The ******** driving the load of boys is approaching me - I am at about 35 - 40mph, he was about the same.&nbsp\\; No warning, no indicator - nada - he brakes hard and starts to turn right in front of me - I was watching his face the whole time and he never once looked at me or anything in front of him.&nbsp\\; I had to brake REALLY hard and do a serious juke to the right- he slammed on his brakes as he was half way into my lane.&nbsp\\; Unreal - I got around him ok and he kept right on turning.&nbsp\\;
I stopped a few hundred feet down the road, pulled my underwear out of my *** and turned around.&nbsp\\; I caught &nbsp\\;up with him as he was turning into the HS parking lot.
We had "meaningful" dialogue....no fisticuffs, no cussing, but lets just say he needed a hanky to wipe his tears.
I guess it just can not be said enough - the road is filled with distracted, inexperienced, clueless morons who fail to comprhend they are behind a 4000lb meat tenderizer.
&nbsp\\;
Coincidentally - I work for the army, and as such get the "Preliminary Loss Reports" - in the last 3 weeks, 5 servicemen have been killed in M/C accidents.&nbsp\\; The most recent being a Major in Kansas that hit a truck so hard that the truck rolled 2-1/2 times.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Something to be said for always having that escape plan in your mind everytime you approach an intersection or other danger area.
&nbsp\\;
Stay safe.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:29 AM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Almost got slammed

Glad it turned out OK with you. I can't say I would stop and talk I just keep rolling on when stuff like that happens.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:47 AM
smadge
Intermediate

I understand and agree that there is no need to instigate a confrontation, but I have never been the type to pass up an opportunity to teach / train.&nbsp\\; Comes with 25 yrs in the army.&nbsp\\;
My talk with him was short and to the point - it also helped that his girl friend was there from the other car.&nbsp\\; The punctuation to our one sided dicussion of his driving prowess was the potential for the local paper headline:&nbsp\\; "Reckless High School Graduate Sentenced to 10 years after&nbsp\\;Killing Soldier on Motorcycle"&nbsp\\; I asked her if she'd stick around&nbsp\\;and vist Kevin in prison rather than going off to college?&nbsp\\; I also showed him a picture of my 9yr old son and explained that he did not have the right to deny him a father and an altered life because he was too stupid and careless and preoccupied because he had Tricia's purty pink panties on his mind.&nbsp\\;
Like I said - the evidence of tears indicated that they "got it"&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;My hope is that&nbsp\\;they or their friends who were present never forget it.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Somber Goat
Tourer

A close call is better than a phone call.....

Glad you stepped up to the plate and tried to coach/teach....&nbsp\\; unfortunately most situations don't offer that but you took advantage and thats awesome.

Its amazing how a 5 minute talk can be some of the best education a teenager ever gets!&nbsp\\; I remember mine but it was with a GA state trooper.&nbsp\\; Needless to say I grew up real fast during that 5 minutes.....

Keep safe!

Old 06-05-2008, 12:06 PM
smadge
Intermediate

Absolutey correct - we refer to that conversation as an "On the spot correction"&nbsp\\; usually one sided.&nbsp\\; I remember a few of those when I was young (read stupid) and impressionable.&nbsp\\; The last thing I wanted to hear the local cop say was - I went to school with your dad, do I need to call him?&nbsp\\; That ALWAYS got my attention.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:10 PM
sbergloff
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you're still around to tell us about it.&nbsp\\; I've been so tempted to have a "talk" with drivers after they do something stupid like that, but I typically just keep on riding.&nbsp\\; I hope I can be as level headed as you were if the time ever comes.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:11 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Caesar Milan would be proud of you!
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-05-2008, 12:23 PM
ecaldwell78
Tourer

Sorry to hear of your incident, but am glad you're alright.&nbsp\\; BTW, thanks for your service to our country.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:24 PM
smadge
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: sbergloff

Glad you're still around to tell us about it.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; I've been so tempted to have a "talk" with drivers after they do something stupid like that, but I typically just keep on riding.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; I hope I can be as level headed as you were if the time ever comes.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Thanks, It truly took a minute to get myself composed - I am not kidding when I say a had to pull my underwear out of my butt, when I dismouted I thought I heard an almost audible pop when my butt broke the vacuum seal it developed to my seat.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Serious pucker factor.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I remember staring very close at&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;the front corner of his car as it went by my knee - I'm talking a couple of inches, maybe.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I am sure it added to the "effect" but I had my hands FIRMLY planted on my hips - it was intentional, but not to convey a hardass posture, but rather to keep them from shaking - both from anger and adreneline.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:26 PM
smadge
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: DeJavu

Caesar Milan would be proud of you!
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;
I'll bite....who is Ceasar Milan?

Quick Reply: Almost got slammed