Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping to a Half-Shorty Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 08:46 AM
karaokeman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Swapping to a Half-Shorty Helmet

I did my searches and read some info on the SHORTY/HALF helmets. Being a NEW Harley owner and always had either fullface or 3/4 in the past and still do. I'm looking to round out my helmet selection with a half helmet for the sweltering days of summer which is soon upon us here in NJ. I've found one on line I like- DOT with a "thin liner" for about $60 http://www.thehelmetsource.com/Merch...uct_Code=NT010

The thin liner has me concerned, never owning a shorty helmet I want something comfortable for longer rides and don't want to feel like I have a HARD brick on my head........NOR do I want to look like I'm wearing a MUSHROOM on my head. AM I asking too much Would like to hear from some who wear the shorty or who tried and didn't like them.

Also with the shorties are SKULL cap and doo rags required for comfort?[sm=confused06.gif]

I know its a lame question but appreciate any comments or advice

Old 06-04-2008, 11:56 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Swapping to a Half-Shorty Helmet

You can get that same helmet here cheaper: http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Hel...100DoubleEagle
I have a couple of those helmets from Jafrumfor my wife and I and they are slimline and do not look like a mushroom. There is plenty of padding and they fit much closer than other brands (they have about 1" of foam and poly combined). I think you will find it comfy.
I will tell you that like most half helmets they still can catch the wind and pulling the visor off makes it much better.

For me on the other hand, I'm getting tired of wearing ear plugsand wind noise sometimes so I'm looking to pick up a 3/4 to go along with my half and FF helmets.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:30 PM
nevets61
Road Master
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I have always worn full face but its so damn hot that I just ordered this DOT half helment...

http://www.easternperformance.com/in...oducts_id=1765

My son has one and loves it. Claims its very comfy, yet rides low so it doesn't have that mushroom on the head look. I have a half helmet that my dealer gave me when I bought the bike. Made by Vega, nice lid but it rides very tall on the head so I don't like it.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:38 PM
johnnyfree27
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard A LOT about ACC (Advanced Carbon Composite) half helmets. They have DOT approved helmets that are low profile, extremely light weight and very durable. They are a bit pricey but I've heard guys swear by them. You usually get what you pay for. Check them out. www.carbonfiberhelmets.com

Old 06-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Drodd8
Tourer

ORIGINAL: nevets61

I have always worn full face but its so damn hot that I just ordered this DOT half helment...

http://www.easternperformance.com/in...oducts_id=1765

My son has one and loves it. Claims its very comfy, yet rides low so it doesn't have that mushroom on the head look. I have a half helmet that my dealer gave me when I bought the bike. Made by Vega, nice lid but it rides very tall on the head so I don't like it.
I have a fulmer half that isn't bad but it does ride high (makes me look like one of the mushroom guys from Super Mario Bros[&:]). I have been looking for a lower profile half that is still DOT, thanks for posting the link.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:44 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

A can of flat black rattle can from Walmart might make that Double Eagle one wearable.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:07 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have aflat black Bell Drifter and I like it a lot. Got it for just 70 bucks.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:23 PM
karaokeman
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci

A can of flat black rattle can from Walmart might make that Double Eagle one wearable.
Thougt about the flat or glossy black ---Don't like the eagle ?[&o]

Old 06-10-2008, 01:42 PM
karaokeman
Road Captain

I received the half helmet as described from JARFUN- saved some money THANK YOU
Helmet fit good , and tried it out for short run at lunch today (1st ride with a half helmet)
Overall I liked the feel and the SOUND , as stated in numerous posts that WIND NOISE could be a nusance on the highway or speeds in excess of 50mph. I'll definately look into some "ear plugs"&nbsp\\; just in case but I think I need some more miles under the new helmet to really make a decision.&nbsp\\; It was 98 degrees here today and it was nice to feel&nbsp\\; the wind with this helmet.&nbsp\\; Kept me cool.
Thanks Again

Old 06-10-2008, 01:52 PM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior

The wind noise on the freeway, doing 65+ doesn't seem to bother me in my half helmet.&nbsp\\;

Quick Reply: Swapping to a Half-Shorty Helmet