Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping to a Half-Shorty Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 02:36 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Swapping to a Half-Shorty Helmet

ORIGINAL: StargazerXT12

The wind noise on the freeway, doing 65+ doesn't seem to bother me in my half helmet.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;
With my windshield on the wind noise is no problem either but I ride without it a lot in the summer unless I'm taking a long ride or have the Mrs. on board.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:36 PM
karaokeman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe its the windshield&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; &nbsp\\;

Old 06-10-2008, 05:02 PM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be the windshield. I hadn't thought about that.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-10-2008, 06:39 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member

My brain is worth more than $40 bucks, I bought a Bell Drifter and its a piece of sh*t.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:56 PM
mstakern
Tourer

I have a Bell Shorty, not the smallest but I would rather wear a helmet I have heard of before.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:57 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Daytona Skull Cap Carbon fiber with visor.&nbsp\\; I got mine on closeout for $54 out the door at Bossier City Harley Davidson in Louisiana.&nbsp\\; You can get them all day online for $100.
&nbsp\\;
http://www.daytonahelmets.com/AllPro...?categoryid=21
&nbsp\\;
Teek
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-19-2008, 01:28 PM
karaokeman
Road Captain

So another review after a few more miles under a HALF HELMET.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; - I find it great for HOT days and local rides
But at speeds in excess of 50mph it feels like the helmet is being&nbsp\\; blown off my head and the chin strap starts to choke me ......is this normal ????&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; The helmet feels like the correct size, but since this is my 1st shorty helmet I'm not sure of the NORMAL fit and FEEL ????.....&nbsp\\; Love the look&nbsp\\; - Love the SOUNDS - Love the FREE FREELING WIND at slow speeds...I'm unsure if I like it it above 50mph [:-]

Old 06-19-2008, 01:41 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya gotta loose the visor and it will help a lot but yes its pretty normal even if its a snug fit for it to pull when the wind catches under it. The only ones that will not likley lift or parachute like that are slim novelty helmets or one of the ACC carbon fiber non DOT, pretty much all the ones that have about 1"+ of liner will catch air. I pull mine down farther almost on top my glasses and lean into the wind. Of course most of the time I'm riding long range and over 50 for long periods of time&nbsp\\;I just put the windshield on and problem solved.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-19-2008, 05:30 PM
Lindsey141
Road Master

Ive been through a couple half helmets i hated.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; I bought one from www.Carbonfiberbikerhelmet.com&nbsp\\; .&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; A little pricy but i love it.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Extremely light weight,&nbsp\\; dont even know its there.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Looks good too.&nbsp\\; Sounds like a add but I will be wearing this one for a long time

Old 06-19-2008, 06:39 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the Fulmer Ranger. Feels good, but looks like crap. I look like Dark Helmet from Space *****.&nbsp\\;Terrible look and when I'm on the freeway here in beautiful Southern California, the wind catches it and it chokes me to death. I can't even turn my head to see if there is a car next to me because it will fly off. Plus, I can't be riding in SoCal lookin like some chump being choked by his helmet.
&nbsp\\;
So I switched to a novelty polo helmet.&nbsp\\;Its gunmetal and makes a world of difference. The wind doesn't interfere anymore and I actually look decent with it on, instead of that sombrero looking thing on my head.&nbsp\\; Paid 50 bucks for the novelty shorty at my local store. Not DOT but what do they know? [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Quick Reply: Swapping to a Half-Shorty Helmet