Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadtrip and firearm questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 02:10 PM
Hawg295
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Roadtrip and firearm questions

The laws do vary from state to state. But, being a retired Trooper from Ohio, I see no problem with you carrying it. Accessibility is the big thing. If you are stopped, keep your hands on the grips and tell the officer what you are carrying and where it is at. I wouldn't want my wife, daughter, sister, etc. traveling without some kind of protection.
I would say that you might check into a taser. Personal tasers now, shoot two darts on wires, up to 21 feet, with a tingling 50,000 volts. It will put ya down, I know, I was tasered for fun.
If the taser doesn't keep him down, then go to the AR-15 or an RPG.
Have a good trip.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:26 PM
VBCH Nightster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Amzie

...my sister in an Urn ...
What is the story with your sister?

Old 06-02-2008, 03:56 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: 95hd883

hi,

being a CCW permit holder i like to keep up on legislation concerning CCW

you need to check the individual states laws concerning reciporocity

http://www.saf.org/reciprocity.html
CCW laws (and what states honor other sate CCW Permits) change frequently, and the link you provided is nowhere near being 'current'.

For example, it shows Missouri and Kansas not even allowing CCW Permits. Missouri has issued CCW Permits for a number of years, and Kansas has issued them since January 2007.

Here is a link that is updated on an almost daily basis, and will give you a true indication of 'who honors what'.

http://handgunlaw.us/

That being said, I travel around the country frequently, armed, and hold valid CCW Permits through my home state and other states (Non-Resident CCW Permits). With the permits I hold I am legal to carry in approximetly 40 states.

Bottom line is don't get stopped with a concealed weapon if you don't hold a valid permit for that specific jurisdiction..

From first hand knowledge (happened to a few I've ridden with) I will guarantee the outcome won't be pleasant.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Amzie
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: VBCH Nightster

... my sister in an Urn ...
Sorry... I assumed everyone was current with that, since all of my posts on getting ready for this trip - my bad.
I made a promise to my sister - to take her ashes to the canyon. She and I spent a great deal of time there - together and not together. She was very sick, for a very long time, and passed on young (58). That is what this trip is all about, I am setting her ashes free in a place she knew nothing but happy times.

Although, she would have gotten a much bigger kick out of it, if I would have said something like - " I always travel with my sister in an Urn - don't you?!" You would have to know us... a bunch of cards, we are.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Drodd8
Tourer

ORIGINAL: VBCH Nightster

...my sister in an Urn ...
Sorry... I assumed everyone was current with that, since all of my posts on getting ready for this trip - my bad.
I made a promise to my sister - to take her ashes to the canyon. She and I spent a great deal of time there - together and not together. She was very sick, for a very long time, and passed on young (58). That is what this trip is all about, I am setting her ashes free in a place she knew nothing but happy times.

Although, she would have gotten a much bigger kick out of it, if I would have said something like - " I always travel with my sister in an Urn - don't you?!" You would have to know us... a bunch of cards, we are.
very cool, enjoy your trip to the grand canyon state and my your sister know the good times in the next life that she enjoyed in this one.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:51 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A very noble trip my friend!!!! Have a good one!!!

I did remember the details, but just had to let ya know....some of us do pay attention.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:57 PM
jb4me
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

be very careful on your trip and sorry to here about your sister you should have great pride in honoring her final wish my prayers will be with you both. with that said I agree that if you dont have a permit keep the wepon and bullets seperate while riding but keep it loaded and close while camping. I would suggest mace mounted to your handle bars it wont kill but will hurt like hell and give you time to get to a safe place or away. god's speed

Old 06-03-2008, 01:12 AM
Demonsmasher
Tourer

+1 on storeing it somewhere other than where you are storing the ammo. Me and some friends were stoped one time on a moutain road at a road block when I was younger. I had a gun and we were on federal land. I couldn't find my dad ins card so the cop asked if he couls search the truck. I said that was no problem and I pointed out that there was a gun under the frount seat with us. I had the ammoin the glove box if I remember. He said thanks for letting him know about it. He was cool with us from then on let us go.

+1
ORIGINAL: ekaphoto

Another option for carriyng gas is those fuel bottles for camping. MSR and ither companies make them. They only hold about one quart each, but are spill proof and made of aluminum.

as for carrying a pistol, I am a guy with military training and was a prison guard in a past life. I would carry myself as long as it is legal. I don't recommend carrying illegaly since going to prison is not worth it, however that would be your choice.
I've used these for camping. and you can always use the fuel and just fill a few when ever you hit a station when you think there maynot be any around for a streatch.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:36 AM
95hd883
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

ORIGINAL: 95hd883

hi,

being a CCW permit holder i like to keep up on legislation concerning CCW

you need to check the individual states laws concerning reciporocity

http://www.saf.org/reciprocity.html
CCW laws (and what states honor other sate CCW Permits) change frequently, and the link you provided is nowhere near being 'current'.

For example, it shows Missouri and Kansas not even allowing CCW Permits. Missouri has issued CCW Permits for a number of years, and Kansas has issued them since January 2007.

Here is a link that is updated on an almost daily basis, and will give you a true indication of 'who honors what'.

http://handgunlaw.us/

That being said, I travel around the country frequently, armed, and hold valid CCW Permits through my home state and other states (Non-Resident CCW Permits). With the permits I hold I am legal to carry in approximetly 40 states.

Bottom line is don't get stopped with a concealed weapon if you don't hold a valid permit for that specific jurisdiction..

From first hand knowledge (happened to a few I've ridden with) I will guarantee the outcome won't be pleasant.

you are correct....my bad...was in a hurry...(here at work)

didn't even notice that date..LOL..grabbed the first link that popped up..LOL

that's why i said "you need to check the individual states laws concerning reciporocity"

it's all good...so long as she gets the idea to investigate for herself..

have a safe trip!

{note to sellf: make sure information you post is current}

Old 06-03-2008, 09:19 AM
seven7
Tourer

take your weapon, and be safe, also when i came to ca. from fort campbell,ky. we went through Utah on a sunday , and most of the gas stations were closed because mormons don't work on that day , just a thought ,,,have a great trip and ride safe!!!

Quick Reply: Roadtrip and firearm questions