Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 11:43 PM
race41
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question

Got my 4th bike a little over a week ago a 2008 Sportster 1200L from Killer Creek HD here in Roswell, GA. I have been reading this forum and really found a lot of good advice and info. My next step is to add Screaming Eagle slipons to my new bike but not sure if it has to be tuned or not with just the slipons?

Seams like some say it needs tuned some say no it doesn't just a little confused here.[/align]

Old 06-01-2008, 11:54 PM
NickyPops
Advanced
Default RE: Question

I'm also looking for an answer to this...

Old 06-02-2008, 12:09 AM
FloridaDrafter
Tourer

ORIGINAL: race41

Got my 4th bike a little over a week ago a 2008 Sportster 1200L from Killer Creek HD here in Roswell, GA. I have been reading this forum and really found a lot of good advice and info. My next step is to add Screaming Eagle slipons to my new bike but not sure if it has to be tuned or not with just the slipons?

Seams like some say it needs tuned some say no it doesn't just a little confused here.[/align]
No, you do not need to get a download or add a fueler if you are only adding the SE Street Performance slip-ons. I've had mine on sinceFebruary of 2007 and have had no problems.

(edited my install date)
-Andy

Old 06-02-2008, 02:37 AM
ShockwaveTXB
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are just doing slip-ons more than likely you shouldn't.

Here's what the guy at the dealer told me when I got my V&H slips.

He basically said not to worry about it unless you noticed excessive backfiring. He also said you can check your spark plugs to see if they are white. If they are, you need it done.

I have had no backfiring or anything with my slips so it's all good.

From what I understand, if you are just doing slips, you don't need to worry about it unless you notice issues afterwards. If you are replacing the entire exhaust, from the engine back, you do.

Don't take this the wrong way either, but I'd suggest you listen to the SE's before buying them. I was thinking of getting them too, until I heard them. My dad has a set of SE II's on his 2003 Heritage and they sound great. The newer SE's aren't so hot. They didn't sound that much better than factory to me. That's why I went with the V&H. Not that the SE's aren't better than stock...but they just didn't make it sound like that much different a bike...unless that's all you are going for without being too loud. That said I still don't think the V&H are too loud...yes they are loud, but they sound just right to me.

Anyways, don't worry about the update unless you have some issues after putting the slips on.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:51 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 315 Posts

Yes, the new SE Slip-ons are manufactured to meet EPA noise guidelines.
I have heard they are a little nicer sounding than the stock setup, but not much louder.

I went with Rush Slip-ons on my 1200C (1.75"). They are much louder than stock, but not as loud as something like drag pipes.
They sound pretty good.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:17 AM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: ShockwaveTXB

If you are just doing slip-ons more than likely you shouldn't.

Here's what the guy at the dealer told me when I got my V&H slips.

He basically said not to worry about it unless you noticed excessive backfiring. He also said you can check your spark plugs to see if they are white. If they are, you need it done.
Here'sa head scratcherfor ya... My SO, had the stage one done on his 04 Deuce (By the Dealer) and his bike pops and backfires 10 times worse than mine Ever has.

I've had my Rush Slip Ons on since April 11, of this year and I'm having ZERO problems. My Indy told me just this weekend that the 02 sensors are what makes it ok to change mufflers.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Binny
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

me, too

ORIGINAL: race41

Killer Creek HD here in Roswell, GA.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:28 AM
FloridaDrafter
Tourer

ORIGINAL: RollaMo

Yes, the new SE Slip-ons are manufactured to meet EPA noise guidelines.
I have heard they are a little nicer sounding than the stock setup, but not much louder.
I've had mine for over a year, and theyare way louder than stock and sound nice IMHO. If you want loud, they aren't what you should get, but they do make the bike sound very aggressive and after around 1000 miles,they get broken in and I guess the packing gets burned away, andthey do get a bit louder/deeper. My wifehas no problem hearing me coming from a few blocks away. Pretty funny, I had my bike at the shop a week or so ago, and the service guy noticed the SE SPmufflers andasked what I had done to them. So they do break in, but still aren't as loud as most after market pipes... I like em

-Andy