Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edmonton Alberta to Nashville / Memphis

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 02:25 PM
Realeme99
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edmonton Alberta to Nashville / Memphis

Good Day Folks

Well, the title pretty well tells the story of our first trip of the summer. My wife and I are off to the "Grand Ol' Opry" and "Graceland". She is driving her '07 1200C Sportster and I will be driving my bike. So the issue is that I am trying to fix her up to be comfortable as possible for this trip ( approx 4000 miles return). Here are the issues.

Footpegs...At the present time she has stock control forward pegs. She does not have a lot of options as to where to place her feet. She gets quite tired in this position all day.We were looking at the Kuryakyn Switchblades that would give her somewhere to put her feet and rest her ankles. Has anyone tried these and found them to be worth the money? Are they comfortable?

Backrest...At this time she has a Harley Solo Seat. It is not available with a backrest. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to jury rig some kind of backrest on this seat. She hassmall Harley carrier/rack behind the seat. Is this a sissy bar / backrest that could be attachd to this set up. I know that she would be less likely to get a stiff back if she had a backrest.

Tour Bag....I would like to buy her a Kuryakyn Mini Grand Tour bag. Is this bag worth the price? How does it actually attach to the bike? Maybe if it is secured just right she can lean against it?????

Audio.......I would like to buy her some Noise Cancelling earbuds. I would rig this up to a Satellite radio. She has vance and Hines Short Shots and they are quite loud. Anyone out there ever used noise cancelling earbuds? Are they quite? Can you still listen to tunes on the road?

Thanks in advance;
Paul

Old 06-01-2008, 05:32 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Edmonton Alberta to Nashville / Memphis

Look me up man! I've lived in Nashville all my life. I can show ya the fun places, after you do the Grand Ole Opry. Don't get me wrong, it's ok. I worked for them for 15 years. But, ...........

Can't help ya with Memphis.....as most native Nashvillians, I HATE memphis.

Oh, as far as the equipment....is that a stock Harley solo seat??!!! If so.......Iron butt won't be appropriate if she does 4,000 miles on that brick.

I have a Harley double bag touring set for long trips. Also, I sometimes, will pack up my stuff, and ship it to where I'm staying. Then ship it back home at the end of the trip.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:02 PM
iceman336
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Edmonton Alberta to Nashville / Memphis

ORIGINAL: Realeme99

Good Day Folks

Well, the title pretty well tells the story of our first trip of the summer. My wife and I are off to the "Grand Ol' Opry" and "Graceland". She is driving her '07 1200C Sportster and I will be driving my bike. So the issue is that I am trying to fix her up to be comfortable as possible for this trip ( approx 4000 miles return). Here are the issues.

Footpegs...At the present time she has stock control forward pegs. She does not have a lot of options as to where to place her feet. She gets quite tired in this position all day.We were looking at the Kuryakyn Switchblades that would give her somewhere to put her feet and rest her ankles. Has anyone tried these and found them to be worth the money? Are they comfortable?

Backrest...At this time she has a Harley Solo Seat. It is not available with a backrest. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to jury rig some kind of backrest on this seat. She hassmall Harley carrier/rack behind the seat. Is this a sissy bar / backrest that could be attachd to this set up. I know that she would be less likely to get a stiff back if she had a backrest.

Tour Bag....I would like to buy her a Kuryakyn Mini Grand Tour bag. Is this bag worth the price? How does it actually attach to the bike? Maybe if it is secured just right she can lean against it?????

Audio.......I would like to buy her some Noise Cancelling earbuds. I would rig this up to a Satellite radio. She has vance and Hines Short Shots and they are quite loud. Anyone out there ever used noise cancelling earbuds? Are they quite? Can you still listen to tunes on the road?

Thanks in advance;
Paul

Paul,

Hope you and your wife have an excellent run! If I could get the time off, I'd be tempted to chase you down there!

Footpegs - maybe look at a set of heel spurs to attach to the pegs so that her heels catch and she doesn't have to support her weight with her legs so much to maintain riding position.

Backrest - with a solo seat, I would suggest a roll bag with the lumber support like what is available from Bikers Friend... http://www.bikersfriend.com/index.html If you go with the large bag, she will have room for a fair amount of luggage and have a nice support as well.

Audio - I prefer the Cardo Systems SCALA RIDERâ„¢ FM Bluetoothâ„¢ headset. Full Bluetooth capability so if she is using her cell phone as an MP3 player there are no wires. Plus, it installs right into 3/4, modular, and full face units and the speakers go behind the pads. As I understand satellite radio, it transmits to an FM signal so this unit would pick it right up - and the bonus is that if you two are riding close together, you should be able to mount it on your bike and have it transmit far enough for her to pick up the signal!

[IMG]local://upfiles/48057/FC588CE86AF5484D9EBB54C0EA710F7A.gif[/IMG]