Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Pipes or Slip ons...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 01:53 PM
CombatDoc71
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY Pipes or Slip ons...

Anyone here done a DIY with pipes or slip ons? I'm thinking about the V&H Short Shots or the Straight Shot slip ons (can't decide what would look better). I read their PDF and it LOOKS pretty straight forward. I'm just looking for some feedback or maybe some personal experiences on DIY- what to look out for, trouble spots, tricksetc. etc.

Thanks

The following users liked this post:
TUCCI (02-07-2020)
Old 06-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Azwethinkweiz
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DIY Pipes or Slip ons...

A buddy of mine turned his stock pipes into slash cut slip ons... I'm not sure what he has for baffles in them if any.. Next time I see him I'll ask.

I know he cut them and painted them with grill paint then wrapped then with black wrap, they look sweet and sound great.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:13 PM
usarmyharley
Advanced

I put some python slip ons yesterday on my 1200 nightster....slip ons are very easy noreason to let a dealership charge you 80 dollars a hour for this service...Would be more than glad to help u out much as i can if u want to take on the project.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:33 PM
FloridaDrafter
Tourer

ORIGINAL: CombatDoc71

Anyone here done a DIY with pipes or slip ons? I'm thinking about the V&H Short Shots or the Straight Shot slip ons (can't decide what would look better). I read their PDF and it LOOKS pretty straight forward. I'm just looking for some feedback or maybe some personal experiences on DIY- what to look out for, trouble spots, tricksetc. etc.

Thanks
If you have the tools and a work area, it is pretty simple. The OEM mufflers will be a little tight, sotake your time and don't try to force things. You may want to buy extra gaskets for the crossover bungs, and maybe some for the headers. It might make getting the mufflers on and off easier if you loosen the header pipes. Although the gaskets will probably be reusable, they are cheap and may save you some greif if you just replace them.

Good luck!

-Andy

Old 06-02-2008, 12:46 AM
Panamex
Novice

I replaced my stock slip-ons after thrashing them with those damn neighborhood speed bumps withsome SE's slash cuts off a '95. Minor fabrication to keep using the stock exhaust bracket and wrapped them up. Adjusted the carb and off I went. Cost about 40 bucks.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:57 AM
BLLYGOAT
Advanced

I put V/H longshots on about two weeks ago. It was a very easy job. One word of advice: Use high temp Blue RTV when you put the new pipes on If you don't and decide to change them you'll never get them off. Other than that it takes about an hour and a half. One of the easiest mods to do. Good luck.

[IMG]local://upfiles/61645/F9E65C50DDD447FEAD6ADBA49F5E6B23.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-02-2008, 01:30 AM
Azwethinkweiz
Tourer

Sorry, I read the post half ***.

As far as getting the stock slip ons off, I recommend using some PB Blaster and letting it sit for a few minutes, it'll penetrate between the pipe and the muffler and they'll slide off 10x easier.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:28 AM
ShockwaveTXB
Road Captain

I got the V&H Straight Shots and me and my dad put them on pretty easily. It was a very straight forward bolt on. Just had to remove a few bolts, loosen others and slip the new parts on after removing the factory rear pipes. It does help to have an extra set of hands, specially when trying to pull/twist/pry off the factory rear section and putting the new one on.

Overall, pretty easy job you can do yourself.

Love the look...noticed your sig you have a bike that looks a lot like mine...cept I have the 883...here's how they look...

Old 06-02-2008, 06:45 AM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock mufflers are really on there and do not come off easy. If you are going with the slip on's. This is what I did. I removed the heat shields off the header pipes. Removed the hardware to the mufflers and seprated the muffler from the crossover. Wet down the joint of the muffler/header pipe with some WD40 to loosen it up a little. Stick a screwdriver in the large hole of the muffler which attached to the crossover and pull the screwdriver back and forth and they should slip right off. You can use the same method to put the new mufflers on. Hope this helps.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:43 AM
CombatDoc71
Novice

Thanks for the quick and excellent replies. I think I'll go with the slip-ons (DIY)and thenmaybe upgrade to the S1 air cleaner @ the 1000 mile service.

I have another question though...

Will I need to do any adjustments to the bike (EFI)if I go with the slip ons? I didn't really find a straight answer when I did the search but I got the impression that the slip ons will be a "bolt on and go" type of deal.

I'm looking for a louder/deeper sound- don't really need the performance becauseI think the bike is awesome as it is (not thatI would mind).

Quick Reply: DIY Pipes or Slip ons...