Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Pipes or Slip ons...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 01:08 PM
smadge
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DIY Pipes or Slip ons...

I did the V&H Straight Shot slip on’s – very easy and straight forward – excellent instructions (obviously not written by HD).
+1 on the penetrating oil to get the old mufflers off.
I also rejetted the carb & installed the K&N airbox / velocity stack & filter. The difference in performance was startling. Like HUGE. It really woke up when I added a Daytona programmable ICM – WOW!
Some observations on the Straight Shots:
First - They are significantly louder than OEM mufflers. At first I was a bit concerned, but over time (couple of weeks) they calmed down after the guts got a nice even coat of carbon (that or my hearing was damaged) They are still loud, but manageable enough to keep the neighbors from vapor locking over the noise.
Second, after you install them and go out – come back let everything cool and then retighten all the bolts / nuts. You may need and it wouldn’t hurt to do this a couple of times. The heat cool cycles will loosen some things.
Last – get a new set of cross over pipe gaskets – save the headache of an exhaust leak.

I found my Straight Shots new on eBay from a dealer - $208 delivered.

My .02

Old 06-02-2008, 01:08 PM
smadge
Intermediate

dup post by accident

Old 06-02-2008, 04:41 PM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will not need to remap the EFI if you only change to slip on mufflers. However, if you do the A/C upgrade, you will.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:53 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No other mods needed just for slip on mufflers. I've done several of these installs. I usually find it easier to go ahead and take the entire exhaust off the bike. This allows for getting a better grip to get the mufflers to "slip off" I use plenty of WD-40, and application of a rubber mallet around the joint to help get the mufflers off.

Some are fairly easy, and some can be a real pain to get the muffler off. Mine was a ROYAL pain, but I've done others that weren't too difficult. Either way, it's a simple straight forward install. Just sometimes difficult to get the original mufflers to let go.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:51 PM
SpursDarkrider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is PB blaster?

Old 02-05-2020, 03:39 PM
Georgethompson
Stage II
Default Help

Does anyone know how to make open drag pipes louder ?

Old 02-05-2020, 03:52 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 18,236 Likes on 10,082 Posts

Slip ons , quick easy put em on and ride, change em back if ya want etc.

Old 02-05-2020, 03:57 PM
Georgethompson
Stage II
Default Thanx

Which slipons are loudest on open drags

Old 02-05-2020, 06:16 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

PB Blaster and others like it, Liquid Wrench, Break Free, are sprays that break up and loosen rust. Good to have some on hand as lots of bolts will end up needing it over time. Also spray the nuts for the clamps that clamp the muffler to the pipe, and the cap nut that holds the rear header pipe to the engine. I have farted with mine so many times I can swap mufflers in about 15 min, by myself. If you are doing this by your self, like I do, you will be well served to use a board or a covered bar (to prevent scratching the frame) to wedge between the front header pipe and the frame, to keep it from ripping loose as you pull backwards. I usually put my foot against the bar, while lifting the muffler off the crossover bung and pulling backwards. Its a kind of dance, to do it all at the same time. Best if someone holds the front header for you, at least the first time.

For the rear, I usually TRY to leave the aforementioned mount bolt (rear header to engine) connected but very loose, to allow the same lift, wiggle, pull dance for the rear muffler. The crossover pipe is under the mufflers and hidden from normal view.

It should go without saying, in my opinion, do all this when the bike is cold, or the mufflers anyway.

Gool luck, let us know how it goes.

Old 02-07-2020, 07:04 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by CombatDoc71
Anyone here done a DIY with pipes or slip ons? I'm thinking about the V&H Short Shots or the Straight Shot slip ons (can't decide what would look better). I read their PDF and it LOOKS pretty straight forward. I'm just looking for some feedback or maybe some personal experiences on DIY- what to look out for, trouble spots, tricksetc. etc.

Thanks
A lot to explain in a post format, it would read like a book. If you lived in my area, the best way to share my experience would be to have you over or grab lunch. Let me ask though, do you want to do your own chopping or go with an already made pipe like the V&H Short shots like the ones one my Roadster? I can tell you the SS stop well, short (see pic). The long shots stagger with the rear going almost to the back of the tire. My SS came with the factory baffle and were too load for me. I put in the 'quiet baffles' to tone em down some. I wouldn't mind them a bit quietter. Wrapping a pipe looks bitchin but causes a lot of heat that will degrade the metal with eventual cracking. Having them wide open (drag) with little restriction helps with minimizing the degradation but, it still happens and is louder than hell. Your neighbors will hate you. I don't like my bike sounding like a race/stock car. Harley sound is a mandate but a balance is optimal.

Quick Reply: DIY Pipes or Slip ons...