Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intake will wash out valves...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 01:30 PM
BIGDADI
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intake will wash out valves...

So i have about three post on here tring to get a straight answer about removing baffles from stock pipes and intakes and jets. But I contacted a local mechanic from a friends reffrance. He has lots of records for sportsters he has built and such, and He told me dont remove the baffles witch isnt the first time I heard that, but he said I dont want to "F" with the intake unless I am doing a dramatic change he said pipes and jetting is all I need. He said that if I change the intake for that I will wash the valves out. Anyone else heard of this or have any info.... He is cutting me a hell of a deal 140$ for the 1"3/4 slash down drag pipes and 63$ to rejet it including jets. He said I will besupprised of how much better it is going to run as well as sound.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:43 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: intake will wash out valves...

I think the reason your posts are not getting a response is that no one can understand what you are saying.
What have the stock pipes/baffles got to do with it if you are changing to drag pipes.
What do you mean by "changing the intake".
What does "washing the valves out" mean.

I don't understand and apparently no one else does. If you can explain these terms maybe someone can be of help.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:10 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're not screwing with the intake and only changing the exhaust.....I doubt you would really need to re-jet the carb because you're not allowing more air in....[&:] Removing the baffles may cause you to loose some low end grunt, as well as maybe cause some coughing/popping, but will give you better sound. Not sure what "washingthe valves out" means....

Old 05-30-2008, 02:28 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

If you want noise and a loss of low and mid-range power, go ahead and put drag pipes on; however, IMHO they are of no advantage to a good running bike unless you're at WOT all the time.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:32 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member

"wash out the valves?

Never heard of this....

ever.

a google search turned up mostly results for side valve lawnmower engines with something called a "Washout Valve"

Old 05-30-2008, 04:29 PM
BIGDADI
Tourer

I guess I am as lost as you guys I have a feeling he said something about the valve lash at least on a google search that made more sense. But from more then one person now i have heard that I dont want or need to mess with the intake. But this dont make any sense to me from what I know the more air and gas the more power.... I dont know guys I am lost, it is starting to irratate the crap out of me I just want my bike to sound good and have a little more umph with out breaking the bank.... I just bought some 1"3/4 slash down ultimate drag pipes and he is going to fatten up the carb a little bit due to it being a little to lean as it is stock. It likes to cough or sneeze at first 1/4 throttle right now and I am told that is because it is lean....

Old 05-30-2008, 04:45 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm beginning to get the picture, your terminology is what is throwing people. Intake can be air cleaner, carb or manifold. Putting a different air cleaner on is not messing with the intake. Your mechanic is probably saying the pipes and your stock engine don't really require a different air cleaner because the engine can only breath in so much air. If so he's just trying to save you bucks. In general with drag pipes alone you will get an increase in top end power but you will loose low rpm grunt. Baffles in the stock pipes will give better low rpm power than open pipes. The best balance of low and high rpm power would be what I have, anti reversion cones (torque cones). Unless you will only be drag racing, open pipes will not work as well. For the street, baffles or cones (not both)will provide the acceleration in the low to mid ranges of rpm for normal riding and have only a small decrease in top end power.
I hope this helps you, do the drags w/cones and you will have the power and sound you desire.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:19 AM
BIGDADI
Tourer

ORIGINAL: DeJavu

I'm beginning to get the picture, your terminology is what is throwing people. Intake can be air cleaner, carb or manifold. Putting a different air cleaner on is not messing with the intake. Your mechanic is probably saying the pipes and your stock engine don't really require a different air cleaner because the engine can only breath in so much air. If so he's just trying to save you bucks. In general with drag pipes alone you will get an increase in top end power but you will loose low rpm grunt. Baffles in the stock pipes will give better low rpm power than open pipes. The best balance of low and high rpm power would be what I have, anti reversion cones (torque cones). Unless you will only be drag racing, open pipes will not work as well. For the street, baffles or cones (not both)will provide the acceleration in the low to mid ranges of rpm for normal riding and have only a small decrease in top end power.
I hope this helps you, do the drags w/cones and you will have the power and sound you desire.
You hit the nail on the head that is exactly the info I was looking for. I guess I just dont have the terminoligy down yet. All the dealers and mech. around here keep calling the air filter, such as a screamin eagle or big sucker a intake??? Any way I am glad you guys stuck it out and helped I am so stoked about getting my pipes and I am going to make sure I find out what jets he installs so I know if he makes it to rich I can add a diferrent air filter. I am really interested in this anti reversion cone idea, do you have a sound clip and are they universal to any drag pipe as long as the tube size is right and do you know where I can get some and for how much???

[IMG]local://upfiles/62367/2EF81908793A429F977F541FF4AE74AC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-31-2008, 12:43 AM
chaos5
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Forget about the reversion cone. Get a Big City Thunder baffle, or equivalent, it will give you much more performance thana cone.

Do a forum search on torque cones, there are a few good threads with lots of info you may want to read.

I would also recomend reading this.
http://www.bigcitythunder.com/pages/...ng_exhaust.pdf

Old 05-31-2008, 04:51 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't believe the man can get a set of BCT baffles in the ends of his slash downs.

Quick Reply: intake will wash out valves...