Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intake will wash out valves...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 05:12 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: intake will wash out valves...

I never heard the term wash out Valves. Wash out Rings yes when you pour too much Gas or starter fuild into the intake of a engine to prime it to get it started. Or have a stuck flot on a carb were raw gas drips buy the rings and mixes with the oil in the crank case thinning out the oil. On a engine that is not running.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:18 AM
Ric27
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spending money for performance mods on your bike with out understanding why is a recipe for disapointment. Just cool your jets and learn what's up with better performing Sportsters. Then move ahead. The drag pipes are NOT the answer. You want a loud bike just take the mufflers of you stock pipes.

If you put drag pipes with out baffles all the rejetting in the world is not going to bring back the low end torque you will loose from going to open pipes. You might gain 3hp @ 5500rpm but that's it. Are you into doing most for you riding above 4500rpm? If not you gota have something besides open drag pipes.

If you put a little info about your bike in your sig it would be easer to help.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:29 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: BIGDADI

ORIGINAL: DeJavu

Unless you will only be drag racing, open pipes will not work as well. For the street, baffles or cones (not both) will provide the acceleration in the low to mid ranges of rpm for normal riding and have only a small decrease in top end power.
I hope this helps you, do the drags w/cones and you will have the power and sound you desire.
I am really interested in this anti reversion cone idea, do you have a sound clip and are they universal to any drag pipe as long as the tube size is right and do you know where I can get some and for how much???
This will explain the cone idea. http://www.jpcycles.com/catalog/2007...talog/0241.asp Good luck whatever you decide to do. Ride andhave fun!

Old 05-31-2008, 09:08 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It always amazes me that everyone thinks noise = performance. Go ahead put those drag pipes on just rememeber that when it feels like your draging around and anchor behind you and the local FUZZ are bustin your chops for noise pollution; it's your own choice.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:58 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

changing the intake to a longer one and polishing it on the inside is a way to get some extra ponies, I never heard of what you are talking about tho.
ORIGINAL: BIGDADI

I guess I am as lost as you guys I have a feeling he said something about the valve lash at least on a google search that made more sense. But from more then one person now i have heard that I dont want or need to mess with the intake. But this dont make any sense to me from what I know the more air and gas the more power.... I dont know guys I am lost, it is starting to irratate the crap out of me I just want my bike to sound good and have a little more umph with out breaking the bank.... I just bought some 1"3/4 slash down ultimate drag pipes and he is going to fatten up the carb a little bit due to it being a little to lean as it is stock. It likes to cough or sneeze at first 1/4 throttle right now and I am told that is because it is lean....

Old 06-01-2008, 10:15 AM
BIGDADI
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How come no one esle has mentioned these torque cones are they the real deal for adding backpreasure and torque or is it not proven. It seems to me if they work it would be the best deal out there get your drag pipes and some cones and your good to go and they dont cost that much..

Old 06-01-2008, 10:40 AM
SpursDarkrider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good question about the lack of posts on cones

Old 06-01-2008, 02:07 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Drag Pipe How-To

https://www.hdforums.com/m_79533/tm.htm

Old 06-01-2008, 02:34 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

ORIGINAL: SpursDarkrider

good question about the lack of posts on cones
Torque cones add little back pressure. That's not their purpose. A torque cone is to preven reversion, or spent exhaust gases from flowing back into your cylinder and diluting the incoming fresh air (full of oxygen) and gas charge.

Reversion is physics. The exhaust gases can flow back into the cylinder because of valve overlap - the short period of time when the exhaust and intake valves are both open. What pulls the fresh air/gas mixture into the cylinder is vacuum. If I have a cylinder under a vacuum and make two openings (intake & exhaust valves open), whatever is outside those openings is at a higher pressure. Stuff always flows from high to low pressure.

Torque cones consist of a large diameter tapering into a smaller diameter. Think of a copper water pipe reducer. This large-taper-to-small bit is known as a venturi. Venturis are cool, and can do a lot of neat things. The only thing they do needed here is that as the exhaust gases flow through the venturi the gas velocity increases and the gas pressure decreases. More physics. (And you hated that crap in school. Dummy.) If the pressure is lower at the exit of the venturi (torque cone) than it is at the beginning, the gases can't flow backwards into the cylinder. That's a good thing, and you'll lose less power (torque, hence the moniker "torque cone") than without them.

There ya go; a post on torque cones.

I make my own from copper pipe reducers. Usually costs me about $5. But they won't work on turn-outs, turn-downs, etc. No way to get them up into the pipe. You can buy them to fit up against the exhaust port if you've got curly-cue pipes. And the closer they are to the exhaust port, the better they work.

More physics. Larger diameter exhaust pipes are a bad thing. Exhaust gases travel slower in a large pipe. And the exhaust port is a particular diameter, and designed to connect to a 1-3/4 inch pipe. Means that when you hook up a 2 inch or bigger exhaust pipe the gases come out fast, hit the larger pipe, and slow down. If they slow down guess what happens to the pressure? If you've been paying more attention to this than you did to your wizened old physics teacher in high school you'll say, "pressure increases." If the pressure increases, then when valve overlap occurs, guess what happens? Yup, reversion.

There ya go - food for thought.

Class dismissed.