Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first bike/question for you girls

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 04:52 PM
hotlips
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first bike/question for you girls

Hello,
I am going to be buying my first bike soon, my hubbys getting it for me for our 10th anniversary. I haven't ridden in 10 yrs, but miss it and want to start again. I have 4 little kids and won't be riding alot for a few more years, but will be riding around town and on short trips. I am wondering from you girls who have sportsters, which do you have 883 or 1200 and why do you like them? Do you think they are good for a first bike? I haven't ridden a street bike much, I rode dirt bikes since i was about 6 but not in a while and very little on street bikes. I am trying to decide what will be best for me...don't want to coulda/woulda/shoulda after I buy a bike. Any input is helpful. Thanks

Old 05-28-2008, 05:11 PM
Amzie
Road Captain
Default RE: first bike/question for you girls

Welcome to forum and back to biking hotlips.

The first thing you are going to hear from most of us here is get yourself into a MSF class. Even the experienced riders still take it as a refresher. Plus you get a discount on your insurance when you give them the paperwork that you passed. That is car and motorcycle.
It will make you way more comfortable with your scooter, and it will teach you things you forgot you knew. Plus, if you don't have the M on your drivers license - it will get you out of taking the test with the highway patrol - you will only have to take the written.

All that being said, I have a 1200 that I dearly love. (the sig pic is an old one, lots of changes since then) I do not consider any Sporty to be a opening bike. I am sure you will find plenty of others who will disagree with this.
When I went to buy a motorcycle - I had in mind one from the Dyna line ... but to steal a line from our very own moderator Shuby - every time I walked by the sportster it sat up and wagged its tail at me.
I had to have it - and no other scooter was going to do!
I do not have trouble keeping up with the 'big twins', in fact I find myself cruising at high speeds when I am by myself - not trying to keep up with anyone. So don't let anyone tell you that you wont be able to stay with the pack - that is hooey!

To make YOUR choice, I would say - try them ... see which one fits your body, and which one sits up and wags it's tail at you .. and go from there. Don't rush to make your decision and you will happy with it.

Good luck, and again - welcome!

Old 05-28-2008, 05:21 PM
lilfroger
Intermediate

I have an 883 and my husband has the 1200. I'm not for riding his bike much because of the way I sit on it. It's just a personal thing there.

I am a new rider and really just 'felt' better about taking home the 883. I knew that I could do the upgrade kits in the furture if I wanted more 'go'

Old 05-28-2008, 05:41 PM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior

I love my 883C. I've heard how they're top heavy, etc., but I've not had any problems with mine. Maybe I was just too dumb or excited to notice.

Anyway, I just learned to ride last year... bought the bike in April, took the MSF beginning course first weekend in June, and I've put 11,000+ miles on it since. I took the experienced riders course this last March after riding only 8 months. That course was on my own bike, and I had No problems.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:42 PM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: lilfroger

I have an 883 and my husband has the 1200. I'm not for riding his bike much because of the way I sit on it. It's just a personal thing there.

I am a new rider and really just 'felt' better about taking home the 883. I knew that I could do the upgrade kits in the furture if I wanted more 'go'
Hey Froger... when are we gonna get together? I'd love to meet ya, maybe go for a ride?

Old 05-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Alyssa541
3rd Gear

I have a 1200 Custom- I love it!! I'm 5'5"- it did sit up higher then my my brothers Street Bob & my husbands Dyna Low. I felt fine with the way it rode, but I did put the lowering bracket on the back - lowered it about an inch. I also swaped out the stock seat for a more comfortable Mustang. My sister-in-law has an 883 Low- it is fun to ride also, but I prefer the 12000C. HD has a seat called the "reach seat" that is slimmer & not so bulky. There are a lot of options out there to make whatever you purchase just right for you. My kids love riding on the back!! They've never been so excited for me to drop them off at school- one at a time of course!

Old 05-30-2008, 01:24 PM
Binny
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi. Binnita here.
I would strongly suggest the 1200L for you. It makes sense to get the extra 'oomph'. And, the sportster is not topheavy at all, like alot of the guys say. They're silly boys.
Now, fellow girl riders,if you are topheavy like me [36 DD boys, and, "what's a bra?" }, it may it may cause a problem. So, to get a lower center of gravity, I decided on the 1200L

Let's all give our hubby's a big you know what this weekend.

Hope this helps your decision.Bye,
BINNITA

Old 05-31-2008, 12:37 PM
Amzie
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Binny
Hi. Binnita here.
the guys say. They're silly boys.
Now, fellow girl riders, if you are topheavy like me [36 DD boys, and, "what's a bra?" }, it may it may cause a problem.
BINNITA
Where is that rolled up newspaper?!! Bad dog, bad, bad dog!

Old 05-31-2008, 12:56 PM
mrb302
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Amzie

Hi. Binnita here.
Now, fellow girl riders,if you are topheavy like me [36 DD boys, and, "what's a bra?" }, it may it may cause a problem.
BINNITA
At least Binnita has a keyboard without a sticky period............................................ .........

Old 05-31-2008, 01:03 PM
Amzie
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: mrb302

ORIGINAL: Amzie

Hi. Binnita here.
Now, fellow girl riders, if you are topheavy like me [36 DD boys, and, "what's a bra?" }, it may it may cause a problem.
BINNITA
At least Binnita has a keyboard without a sticky period............................................ .........

Maybe he should let his feminine side do the typing from now on..................

Quick Reply: first bike/question for you girls