Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why not a Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 09:17 AM
schleck
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why not a Sportster

I am getting ready to take my class, get the license and buy my first bike. I am getting all kinds of different advice, a dealer recommended a Sporster 1200, another a Street Bob, some here in the new members area suggested going up to a Dyna and said that I will not be happy with a Sporster for very long.

So my question is what is great and what is wrong with a Sporster. I am new so I apologize if this has been asked and answered before but I did not see it.

Thanks

Schleck

Old 05-28-2008, 09:27 AM
kdhd1200C
Advanced
Default RE: Why not a Sportster

When it comes down to it, it's what you want. A friend of mine bought his Sportster the same day as me (about 6 weeks ago).I love my bike, and he wants a Road King already. I've ridden the big twins and they're awesome, but my bike is the one for me. When I picked it up, the salesman told me "Make sure you don't spend too much money on chrome and accessories, you'll be getting a bigger bike in a year or so." He rides an Ultra, so he's a big-bike guy. Around here, dealers have demo ride days about once a month. See if you can find one in your area and get on the back of a couple bikes and see what suits you.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I figure there are 3 categories of Sportster owners.

1. Least expensive Harley for the "mid-life" crisis folks

2. Perceived as a "beginner's bike" for those who are intimidated by the big twins

3. People who like to ride motorcycles that are quick, agile, adaptable to touring, and always provide a ride to remember

I fall in the last category. I have been riding over 44 years, and after having owned a bunch of bikes, the Sportster suits my riding style the best. It is a bare-bones bike that can do it all from cruising to touring, yet provides a quick agile ride through the twisties. I have ridden Softails, baggers, Dual Sports, and land yachts, but the Sportster satisfies myinstinctive requirements for a motorcycle and I doubt I will everown anything other than a Sportster again.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:15 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Same here. I will always own a sportster, even if the OL wants to get another bike for touring, I will never give up my sporty.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:24 AM
BLLYGOAT
Advanced

I agree, I purchased my Nightster because of the look and It's agile. Once I put on the drag bars IMO it handles much better. I've rode bigger bikes but you can throm them into a turn like a sportster. I will get a bigger bike one day but for now I love my Nightster.

[IMG]local://upfiles/61645/438DF78923CA4562AB5DCEDCAF5A6BDF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-28-2008, 10:27 AM
karaokeman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell you WHY I DID buy a Sportster...

a) I'm 5ft 5 - small inseam
b) 1st time on a bike in over 10yrs
c) Financially affordable
d) majority of riding to be 2 lane back roads with the occasional HIGHWAY LONGHAUL

So if you're a big guy who's been riding for along time and money is no option and you plan to put on many highway miles on long hauls ...go BIGGER .... The other Bikes are just differant flavors for different tastes.
Not to say many BIG guys don't LOVE their Sportys but you should weigh all the variables and TASTE all the flavors before buying ( ie Test Drive )

Old 05-28-2008, 10:28 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, but on a Sportster, there is nowhere to put your lollipop when riding. And you have to buy a rack for your Hello Kitty bookbag.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:37 AM
SniperCJ
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive ridden a lot of different bikes, primarily large sport bikes. I ventured into Harleys with a Softail about 10 years ago then went back to sportbikes. I always considered Sportsters 'starter Harleys'....until I rode one.

We bought 'us' a Nightster a couple months ago. Actually, its my gf's and I was just keeping it warm for her until she squared away her license and MC course. Its a REALLY fun bike!When we started looking for me a bike I considered getting a second Sporty for me, but I'm 6-01 with long arms and legs and am simply more comfy on a larger bike.

Had some other circumstance 'forced' me to get a Sporty, I woulda put extended f/c's on it and been perfectly happy.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:49 AM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sportsters are baddass, they are the only hotrods of the 45° V-twin world, higher revs, higher compression, and they don't have a bunch of useless steel to haul around.

It's all about riding style and what you want out of a bike.

I'll say it very clearly:

A Dyna is not an upgrade from a Sportster.

It's a different bike, slower, heavier, better for touring and 2-up riding... but if you're really going that route, you might as well just get a bagger...

Match the bike to your riding style.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:58 AM
Somber Goat
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Thumper26

3. People who like to ride motorcycles that are quick, agile, adaptable to touring, and always provide a ride to remember
ditto....

Quick Reply: Why not a Sportster