Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What gear are you sporting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 09:16 AM
brainfrz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What gear are you sporting?

ORIGINAL: TeachersOnHarleys
What gear makes the HOG rider?
Ignorance.

Don't wear something to fit into an image, wear what you feel safe in. If thats a bandana and sunglasses- I'd hate to be the one scrapping your smooshed brain matter off the road.

I wear a full faced helmet, synthetic jacket,motorcycle boots (joe rocket waterproof)andgauntlets.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:18 AM
MacAttack
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What gear makes the HOG rider?

You'd have to ask one. I follow the old maxim, dress for the crash, not for the ride, so I wear boots, coat, pants that are either mesh in hot weather or thick leather in cold weather.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:00 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From bottom up:

Severalpull-on boots with slip/oil resistant soles...mainlyWolverines, Red Wing, and my only motorcycle-specific boot is River Roadengineer boots.Occasionally hiking or combat boots. Thick moisture-wicking socks with all of them, regardless of weather.

Pants are whatever dictates the day, whether work uniform or casual jeans or other pants.

Shirt is also whatever dictates the day's activities, whether casual t-shirt or polyester/wool blend work uniform. Cold weather I'll usually wear a long-sleeved shirt. If I want protection from the sun in summer, I'llsometimes wear alightweight long-sleeve shirt. Leather vest if I wantpockets.

Inexpensive chaps from Jafrum Leather forlonger rides in cold weather.Leather"jean chaps" also for cold weather, and the jean-style pockets are nice! I do NOT wear both at the same time!Either style also helps tremendously in a cold, winter drizzle, light-to moderaterain, or from road spray. When Imean "longer rides in cold weather", I mean I wear chaps to help prevent hypothermia. I don't wear chaps to work.

Jackets? I have a mesh riding jacket with soft armor for warmer temps commuting to work. I ALWAYS wear a jacket when commuting to work, for my own reasons. Otherwise,I only use jackets to protect me from the elements of nature. The other jackets are water/wind resistant at least. North Face Apex technical jackets with side vents that zip all the way to the armpitsare very nice for underarm ventilation. Three leather jackets; two are bomber jackets and oneis an extremely warm but heavy biker jacket; the bombers get the most use. I have a Harley Davidson skull hoodie. It's wind/waterproof, reflective, warm and comfortable! I wear other jackets, too, but bottom line for me is wind/water resistance.

Gloves? I have several gloves, too! But as long as my heated grips work, I can narrow those down to a simple pair of soft leather driving gloves with 40 grams of Thinsulate for MOST of the North Texas cool weather. I have textile gloves, mesh gloves, leather gloves, waterproof gloves,very warm gloves lined with Thermolite, etc. I also have a couple of types of glove liners.

I have four helmets; I use three of them. First helmet is a 3/4 HJC AC-3. Most versatile. Fairly cool in summer with vent open, fairly warm in winter (with face shield and balaclava hood or bandana over the chin). Works in the rain. Second helmet I got was a Vega modular (flip-face). Much better than the 3/4 for winter but the quality and attention to detail just wasn't there. So aftera yearI replaced it with an HJC modular. MUCH better! I most recently got a Daytona Skull Cap carbon fiber half helmet for warmer weather. Half price, too! A lot of times I'll just wear a backwards ball cap (so it won't blow off my head), or a do rag or bandana. I'm starting to wear my 1/2 helmet more often though. It's lighter and actually pretty comfortable, but my head does sweat a little in it in hot temps (most 1/2 helmets don't have vents).

Damn I didn't know I had this much crap!

Teek

Old 05-28-2008, 10:05 AM
Lopoetve
Road Master

Fox Creek Jacket and Gloves, HD FXRG boots, Draggin Jeans, HJC Full-face helmet.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:31 AM
203Cree
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Steeltoe'd work boots, jeans, leather Jacket, Wiley X goggle's and a half shell. Got a full face for colder days as well. You won't see me on my scoot without the aforementioned gear on......... all of it. Never know when it might come in handy, and I've watched many a squid go down and come up with injuries that could've been avoided with some gear.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:59 AM
sbergloff
Road Captain

3/4 helmet with face sheild, leather jacket unless it's nice weather and going a short distance, full finger leather gloves, HD leather boots, normally jeans unless I'm going to work. I'm investing in a rain suit after getting soaked from the knees down this morning.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member

Gloves, jeans, chaps, jacket, leathers, helmet, glasses, goggles? What gear makes the HOG rider?
The clothes don't make the man...having leather and a bike doesn't necessarily make you a biker...

Old 05-28-2008, 11:20 AM
RMT
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HD Forsaken nylon jacket, Icon Pursuit gloves, and KBC Force RR Blade 2 full-face helmet.

I need to get a good pair of boots but Im not too sure what I want to get right now.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:25 AM
jb4me
Cruiser

I wear afull face helmet vest jeans and boots fixin to get chaps and yes it will be the assles type. most riders wear brain bucket helmets but I want the full face that way if a cager ever takes me out at lest they can match my face to a pic plus no bugs in teeth. A bug in the face at 60mph dose not feel good

Old 05-28-2008, 11:36 AM
Binny
Road Captain

Bikerrash brings up a good point here [he must be sleeping better].

lotta that "biker gear' looks silly to me IMO.....but whatever turns ya on is ok w/ me....

But the question I have....What actually makes a biker/what is a biker?...What is a biker these days?

Is it someone who rides a HD?....anyone can go out and buy a HD......

Back in the day[ and I know that is overused], before the 'EVO' invasion, and banks laughed at you if ya wanted financing for a HD, and ya pretty much had to lay down cash].......the 'bikerswere the guys that really modified and tore into their rides.. [and i'm not talking all this Bolt on crap], and were not the kinda guys ya wanted to hang with.......cuz they lived and breathed HD's and really lived that biker life like ya read about {hells angels, etc]......their leathers were not so squeeky clean.....like the Saturday crowd at the local dealership ya see.....

So some one tell me....What is a Biker?..........just curious.......B

ORIGINAL: Biker Trash

Gloves, jeans, chaps, jacket, leathers, helmet, glasses, goggles? What gear makes the HOG rider?
The clothes don't make the man...having leather and a bike doesn't necessarily make you a biker...

Quick Reply: What gear are you sporting?