Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had to lay it down

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 05:54 PM
SpursDarkrider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Had to lay it down

I guess what they say is true. There are two kinds of riders, those who have went down and those who will go down. I consider myself a safe rider. Always watching out for the other guy. Always trying to spot danger far enough in advance. Not driving like a bat out of hell,,,,,,well try not to. But sometimes there are circumstances beyond our control. I was on my way to work this morning and some ******* turned into my right of way and i did a hard brake but there wasnt enough room to stop and no way to swerve around, so i laid the bike down and slid behind him. The Engine guard and highway pegs took all the damage. No damage to any of the frame or tank or handlebars or lights, just the end of the clutchlever got a little ground off. I held on for dear life with my legs tucked in until the bike caught the road and held and threw me to the side. I did a tuck and roll and wound up with a bit of road rash on my right elbow and left knee. Thank goodness for angels and saints. So now im not a virgin anymore,i got my cherry popped[:@]

Old 05-27-2008, 05:58 PM
Hawg295
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Had to lay it down

Well, it's like landing a plane. A good landing is one you can walk away from. Sounds like you handled it well and came out no worse for the wear.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:02 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

sorry to read....least yer ok

Old 05-27-2008, 06:15 PM
SpursDarkrider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The lady behind me who stopped to see if i was alright was more scared and shook up than i was. After i got up of the pavement and walked off the jolt, I went to pick my bike up and she started screaming, leave the bike down, you dont know if your hurt inside. I assured her i felt fine, no broken bones, no sharp pains, no real trauma. She said i already called 911 an ambulance and the sheriffs department are on their way. Thats when the guy, who had pulle dout in front of me, boogied out fast. But we got his plate number.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:28 PM
Werbeck
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you are OK, I can't believe the number of stories I hear about hit and run cagers. What's wrong with people?

Old 05-27-2008, 06:32 PM
Werbeck
Tourer

Glad you are OK, I can't believe the number of stories I hear about hit and run cagers. What's wrong with people?

Old 05-27-2008, 06:42 PM
emilyb
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you weren't hurt too bad. Laid mine down once, but i can't blame anyone but myself. I broke my collar bone and dummy me decided I WAS WELL ENOUGH TO RIDE AFTER ONLY 2 WEEKS. Wrong!! I made a 90 to the left and my shoulder popped. Again stupid, I grabbed my arm and lost my balance and there she went. Needlss to say, I f-ed up mycollarbone even worse. Instead of the ends fusing together it grew back over lapped by about 3in.After that I couldn't ride for 8wks.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:57 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

**** happens but glad to read your alive.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:13 PM
tiger_rider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about what happened to you, and hope that the police can track down the offending driver.

I've always coached myself that "putting it down" isn't an option, that I am going to stop faster if I can keep the tires in contact with the road. I've had a few close calls and have been able to get out of it by hanging on and hauling on the front brake. I wondered if anyone else has an opinion on this.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:25 PM
hogsport
Road Master

Sorry to hear about you going down. Sounds like you are at least mostly OK.

I have to agree with Tiger - I don't see myself knowingly putting my bike down. I don't even think I know how unless I lock up thefront wheel & lean? I have nearly lost control in a panic stop, but keeping upright, striaght & stopping was my main goal.

I am certain I can stop the bike much faster with the rubber down than sliding on the metal.

Quick Reply: Had to lay it down