Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 09:33 PM
TeachersOnHarleys
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield

Anybody rock out with a windshield on their sportster and want to tell all of us what the benefits they receive from having one?

Old 05-26-2008, 09:44 PM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Windshield

Well, lets see...if you do a lot of highway riding, it is less fatiguing. It's a great bug collector and rock deflector. In the rain, a lot of water is deflected past you. However, in strong winds, it tends to catch the side gusts, so you must be prepared. But, if you have a tail windyou can scoot along with less throttle, thus saving gas.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48168/FFCBD62DF175484994F544B2D4633147.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-26-2008, 10:25 PM
riverman
Cruiser

I've had one for about three years. I do spend time on the highway, and where I live there are lots of bugs; especially at night. It does knock the rain and to some extent it knocks thewind. This little street shield does not catch the crosswind as far as I have noticed. To each their own I suppose. If you are tough enough to ride a sportster, you are tough enough to ride a sportster with a shield.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:48 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Benefits...when on a long interstate ride, I can still straighten my arm (with a bad elbow) the next day. Also helps with other fatigue factors at high speeds.

Helps with to keep warm when temps are below 40.

Hate the thing, but it's necessary at times.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:51 PM
Demonsmasher
Tourer

Bugs. I'm riding without one right now, but in moruning on the way to work if it is not light out side I will use one. Cause it's like riding through a snow storm of bugs.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:55 PM
Somber Goat
Tourer

ORIGINAL: CapnAdventure

Well, lets see...if you do a lot of highway riding, it is less fatiguing. It's a great bug collector and rock deflector. In the rain, a lot of water is deflected past you. However, in strong winds, it tends to catch the side gusts, so you must be prepared. But, if you have a tail windyou can scoot along with less throttle, thus saving gas.
+1

Detachable is the way to go!

Old 05-26-2008, 11:00 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Somber Goat

+1

Detachable is the way to go!
Oh yeah..forgot to mention that....QUICK detach.....so you can get that ugly thing off the bike in about 10 seconds, without any mounting hardware left behind. I usually like to roll into town after dark, when on a road trip....get the weenie shield off the bike and stored where ever I'm staying, before too many people see it. LOL....

j/k.... (kinda)

Old 05-27-2008, 03:10 AM
trmac
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts

Bugs, rain, cold wind - helps with all. Usually just run mine during the colder months. Quick detach is the way to go. Haven't had any problems with buffeting in strong winds.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:46 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm hopelessly spoiled! I ride highway speeds almost daily, and I don't get that "I'm about to be blown off the back of the bike" feeling at highway speeds or better. I have the quick detach compact low profile shield which puts my head above it. Knocks the wind off my chest, which is what I want. Helps in cooler weather, deflects rain fairly well (still get wet, though), and I can still see over the shield in the rain, because I certainly can't see through the shield riding in the rain at night with oncoming headlights glaring it up. It's quick detach, but I use mine all the time.

Teek

Old 05-27-2008, 08:07 AM
MrsLive2Ride
Banned

I just put one on this weekend and I love it. Going down the highway I've only been able to go 60-65mph but Sunday I was doing about 70 and didn't know it until I looked.

Quick Reply: Windshield