Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Street Performance repack help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 08:59 PM
chaos5
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default SE Street Performance repack help?

original post :

[hr]

This project started out with me asking my self what is the difference between the SE II and SE Street Performance mufflers. Apart from the obvious, sound!!

Before I plunge into the guts of the SESP, lets look at the guts of the SEII.
I'm going to use the pic from Big City Thunder. The top is the baffle from the SEII

Now to pull apart the SESP baffles. A few tools are needed.

This is the guts of the front exhaust.

Now a big surprise, the aft one was not glass packed. I would expect better quality control from SE.

So, it looks like the baffles are nearly identical. The major difference being a few more holes on the SEII and the glass pack on the SESP. Now for the EZ conversion.

Put the baffles back without the glass packing!!

So how did it sound?
Much better!
As an example of the sound improvement, there is a truck parked outside of my neighborhood. When ever I used to drive past the alarm would chirp, this time it went off!
Another noticeable change, the God awful tickity-tickity-tick is no longer as loud. In fact it's hardly noticeable at all, you can still hear the valves, but it's not resonating of the top of my helm. Lastly, when you really lay on the throttle, the exhaust is slightly more hollow/metallic sounding that it was before, but the very low note is much more pronounced as well.

OK, that about sums it up.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:26 PM
chaos5
Cruiser
Default RE: SE Street Performance EZ Conversion

Ok, after a day of riding around with my mufflers like this the tinney sound is really pissing me off!
[:@]

I'm going to have to repack them, especially since one of them shipped without any glass wrap. So, has anyone ever repacked a muffler? Fiberglass, steel wool? Suggestions, ideas, and your experiences would be very much appreciated right about now.

Thanks.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:47 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I have used steel wool in the past but it doesn't last long, the condensation rusts it away, I wonder if you can get stainless steel wool?
There is a kind of flat fiberglass mat used in furnaces, it's white, very thin & flexable, they use it where the motor mounts to the case and as a gasket under things like the igniter probes where they attach to the combustion chamber, I bet that stuff would work good, maybe stop by a heating & cooling place, they may have a small chunk you could buy cheap.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:25 PM
chaos5
Cruiser

Thanks HOTLAP, I'll go by Home Depot and see what they have. I'm thinking that stainless steel would last longer, but I wonder if it has a better or worse sound than just fiber glass.