Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster to the rescue

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 07:31 PM
SpursDarkrider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sportster to the rescue

A friend of mine bought a 03 Honda vtx 1800 with 6500 miles saturday. Went over to see it this morning and took it for a little ride. Wow it was like riding a boat. Noticed when i started it that the battery was dragging a little. My friend suggested we go for a ride, he wanted to show off its power on the freeway. I said sure just dont run off and leave me, im just on a lil sportie. So off we go about 3 miles to the freeway. We jump on the freeway and i shoot in front to tease him and when i look in my mirrors to see where he is at, No friend, no honda. I start freaking out thinking he went down. I jump off the next exit, do a u and go back to where we entered . Im relieved as **** to see him and his bike parked on the shoulder just a hundred feet onto the freeway. He has a rear flat tire. So after discussing what we should do, he hops on and rides bitch and i take him back to his house to get his truck and trailer to load up his bike. when we get back to his bike and lower the ramp to drive his bike up onto the trailer, his bike wont start, lol his battery is dead.[&o]We had to push his bike on . I told him, you should of gotten a Harley.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:59 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Sportster to the rescue

Everyone probably knows that I've owned nothing but Harleys since the early 1970's, and have no desire to own a Metric Bike, but you need to give credit where it is due...

That being said, you are lucky his battery self destructed, or that VTX 1800 would have eaten your 1200 for lunch, either from a standing or rolling start..

I've ridden a few VTX 1800's and know a couple guys that own them, and they are very quick bikes (with the right rider).

In factory trim they put out right at 90 horsepower to the rear wheel, and 100 pounds of torque at a low 3,000 RPM. Quarter mile times run from about 12.0 to 12.3 seconds in stock form.

But then again, each cylinder has 900 cc's, so it's a very large engine...

Here is a MotorCycle Cruiser review of a 2001 VTX 1800. Super torque, lot's of wheel spin, and it still ran a 12.2 second quarter mile.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roa...00c/index.html

Old 05-26-2008, 08:12 PM
SpursDarkrider
Road Warrior

oh i know i didnt stand a chance against it. I was just gonna tease him and get him to open it up. I felt the power of that engine when i took it for a little spin. That thing would of gone by me like i was tied to a post.[:@]

Old 05-26-2008, 09:12 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah, but Harley's have something that can't be duplicated or copied by any of these 'foreign cruisers', no matter how hard they try...

I don't knock anyone for what they ride, never have, never will, but still.....

When you park one of those metric cruisers next to a 'real Harley' it's obvious that they are just cheap copies (no matter how technical advanced or quick they might be)...

Even though some consider them 'rude and crude',a Harley is a Harley, and can't be duplicated, no matter how hard others might try....

Old 05-26-2008, 09:57 PM
jb4me
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes his bike could beat yours and i hate he had bad luck but i would have to get a pic that way when he does get it fixed and starts braggin to your other friends you could just pull out that pic of your little ole harley going strong and his big ole bike laid up nuff said

Old 05-26-2008, 10:16 PM
riverman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: SpursDarkrider

oh i know i didnt stand a chance against it. I was just gonna tease him and get him to open it up. I felt the power of that engine when i took it for a little spin. That thing would of gone by me like i was tied to a post.[:@]
I was reading your post and thinkingof it from your friend's point of view. You know his day really sucked. Here you beenriding this Harley around and he goes out and buys this bike that for all practical purposes should fly loops around yourbike. Then it failson two fronts. The only way it could have been worse is if we had all been there watching. Ihope he had not been bragging on that Honda too much. Ifurther hope you were not too hard on him, you might need his truck and trailer one of these days.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:05 AM
SpursDarkrider
Road Warrior

Lol nahhh i didnt rib him too much. I helped him get it home and even encouraged him to just plug the rear tubeless tire and go finish our ride. He was all dejected and said he was gonna take it to the dealer and get a patch put on, so we sat around looking at his bike on the trailer and drank beer.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:08 AM
kbflash44
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What good is a fast bike when it's on the side of the road broke down. Looks to me that the slow Harley would have gotten there sooner.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:42 AM
Binny
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude..the guy had a fricken flat......
at least I though he did.............I bet I could beat a "BUSA' if it had a flat.

ORIGINAL: kbflash44

. Looks to me that the slow Harley would have gotten there sooner.