Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flame suit on.......what is it with people removing or minimizing the lighting on your scoot........

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 07:15 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: Flame suit on.......what is it with people removing or minimizing the lighting on your scoot....

ORIGINAL: Bayou City Baller

I'm guilty of pulling my reflectors. And I am kinda afraid that cagers won't see me . So I am gonna Light up my N-ster with some red l.e.d's. They will shine on both wheels, motor, and the ground. So if you can't see me its cause your not paying attention! Plus I assume that they can't see me too, so I as when stay out of there blind spots and always stay where if something does happen I have a way out.I never let myself get boxed in.
Bro

Check with the local laws on those LED's. I know of a few fellow riders that have been ticked here in VA for having them on when on a public road.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:21 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Flame suit on.......what is it with people removing or minimizing the lighting on your scoot....

You're not allowed to run with LED's down the road here either. Makes no sense.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:39 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if i wanted a really safe experience i wouldn't be riding a motorcycle.
Bingo! I hear Volvos are pretty safe.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:46 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the folks who dont see bikes are the same folks that run out in front of semis and dumptrucks... you cant fix stupid and the lights and reflectors aint the prob. So your point is moot IMO.
ORIGINAL: DrPlastic

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for customizing but with all the problems with cagers "not seeing" us motorcyclists. I would think removing reflectors and such, which are federally mandated and can be punished under some state and federal statuates if removed. I know a few states that check to make sure they are on there for their safety inspections, and taking off the stock lights and adding smaller less conspicuios lighting would be setting us up for failure!

[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Doesn't this make us less visible to cagers? Then when we get hit or injured, we cry foul that it was their fault because they didn't see us. I would think that we would have to shoulder some of the blame here if were are modifing our bikes in order to personalize them by removing directionals and changing locations and such. We are making ourselves less visible and raising the risk of getting ourselves killed or injured just for the sake of presonalization and customization.

[sm=rant.gif]

Old 05-26-2008, 08:13 PM
66cruiser
Road Warrior

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts
Default RE: Flame suit on.......what is it with people removing or minimizing the lighting on your scoot........

ORIGINAL: DrPlastic

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for customizing but with all the problems with cagers "not seeing" us motorcyclists. I would think removing reflectors and such, which are federally mandated and can be punished under some state and federal statuates if removed. I know a few states that check to make sure they are on there for their safety inspections, and taking off the stock lights and adding smaller less conspicuios lighting would be setting us up for failure!

[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Doesn't this make us less visible to cagers? Then when we get hit or injured, we cry foul that it was their fault because they didn't see us. I would think that we would have to shoulder some of the blame here if were are modifing our bikes in order to personalize them by removing directionals and changing locations and such. We are making ourselves less visible and raising the risk of getting ourselves killed or injured just for the sake of presonalization and customization.

[sm=rant.gif]
I removed the reflectors because I like the look. My question is "What's it to you what I do with my bike?" That's what I don't get.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:20 PM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's part of the risk. To each their own. If you want your bike to look like a rolling disco ball at night, have at it. Some of us choose basic functionality for looks, others want to look like a semi on two wheels. I for one have never had an issue riding a black bike with two lights total on it at night.

Wear bright or reflective clothing...it'll do you more good from any angle than lights generally will.

And like X2lee said...morons are morons. Period.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:38 PM
Demonsmasher
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have red LED's on mine. Aslong as they are not flashing in GA you can use them. You can't be impersonating a emergece vech. At the same time, if I ever do get a ticket by cop that thinking he has one on me. I will fight it in court as explain I was not impersonating a emerecy veh. and they were not flashing but for visablity by others on the road. Check the laws.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:44 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts
Default RE: Flame suit on.......what is it with people removing or minimizing the lighting on your scoot........

ORIGINAL: mistaken

I pulled the reflectors off mine, but I very rarely ride after dark. I just don't think that little yellow reflector on the fork leg is screaming "look a motorcycle"!!! I do agree every little thing helps, but it is my choice. This is the sameas the helmet argument, I wear one, but don't care if others do. More safe with one on, and more visible with reflectors. Riders choice!!!! Just as some states inspect for these, some states require helmets. My rant is done.....
Side reflectors are TOTALLY USELESS! By the time someone sees them, you've already gone by or been hit. First things taken off my bike. A rear reflector is a different story.
The thing abouthelmet laws is that the argument isn't about safety or having to wear an ugly a$$ piece of plastic on your head -it's about freedom of choice and not being told by a Nanny State what to do ornot do. The only things agovernment is good for is a strong military and smooth roads. They should stay the hell out of everything else (including but not limited to health care and mortgage defaults).
I also agree with the "can't fix stupid" statement. I almost nailed a chick in a Cooper Mini after she pulled right in front of my 3/4 ton van with daytime headlights (tell me you can't see that coming at you) doing 60 mphwhen she had the whole right lane wide open (or she could have waited the 1 1/2 seconds it would have taken me to go by). My OL was in her car in front of me and saw my van up on two wheels in the median while swerving to miss her. I don't know how I missed her. It had to have been by a quarter inch.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:59 PM
Demonsmasher
Tourer

I could argue the Gov. and smooth roads with you, but that would be a different topic.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:10 PM
kerbykk
Road Captain

ok, explain why cagers always see motorcycle cops??

Quick Reply: Flame suit on.......what is it with people removing or minimizing the lighting on your scoot........