Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A good indication of the Gas crunch.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 01:42 PM
birdmove
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: A good indication of the Gas crunch.

I picked up a Ymaha XT225 dual sport motorcycle a while back (I started off riding off road many years ago). Just took it on a leisurly ride last night on the slower back roads, and then topped her off. Check this out:33.1 miles/.337 gallons=98.22 miles per gallon.Thats the highest I've got so far on it.My wife has a Honda Metro scooter that gets 100-115 mpg. But it tops out about 40 mph, and might get down to 25-30 on a hill.But it works for trips around town and for her short commute its fine.We take my XT and her Metro and take the ferry boat across to San Juan or Orcas Island and tool around the island for a few days sometimes, and her scooter does fine for that too.

jon

Old 05-25-2008, 02:34 PM
TeachersOnHarleys
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The value of motorcycles and scooters should sky rocket. While supply goes down demand will be high. Now if we could only get that to work for gas.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:55 AM
Ric27
Road Captain

The bigger bikes will probably sell about the same with the big jump in scooters. My wife wants one to save gas. sheez, I can't imagine riddin' with her. But maybe she can learn to ride and move up to a sportster when she gets the feel for riding. That would be so cool.

Ric

Old 05-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The American market for motorcycles is geared more toward enjoyment and recreation than cheap transportation. Once Scooters get a foothold, then maybe a market will open up for for the smaller "mid-sized" engines again. Right now, it's pretty much 250 for learning on a starter bike, and then immediately jump up to 750 or better. Honda has discontinued it's 600 Shadow. Yamaha still makes the V-Star 650, though. At the same frame and seat height as the V-Star 1100, why not just go with the larger engine?

In other countries, especially the asian nations, motorcycles and scooters are basic cheap transportation. They don't NEED a big twin. In fact, most of the time they don't need anything over a 150! A 100 CC is about right for most traffic situations in asian cities.

Teek

Old 05-26-2008, 02:19 PM
humpyy57
Tourer

You will never see everyone riding because there will always be a lot of jerk offs that will continue on driving the biggest (phallic symbol) on the road just to prove how big a man they are

Old 05-26-2008, 11:12 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

We've had this discussion before.

A scooter, yeah, that might be a good alternative financially. But the Maintenance on a Harley will offset the saving in gas. I did a spreadsheet with all of the details on this. It was about breakeven over 15,000 miles in one year.

With the recent increase in gas, it might be different, but that is also contributing to increased prices for motor oil, motorcycle tires, and anything that is petro. related. Not to mention, the higher cost in transport for all goods.

I could re-work the spread sheet with the changed prices, but I bet the bottom line wouldn't change much. And I really don't wanna go through that again. Most people refused to beleive me, even when presented with the hard facts. And that was with me doing all of the maintenance labor myself.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:29 AM
jedsporty883
Tourer

People that are just buying two- wheeled transportation for fuel saving are going to save initially, until the tires wear out at 15,000. Like Sporty Pig said, the actual saving is not that much when you figure in increased tire replacement, oils, etc. Those of us who love to ride are riding regardless of how much savings we may get. And I hope those that are taking up motorcycling are being safety-minded and not just trying to get seventy miles per gallon.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:50 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Like SportyPig says, I'm not sure total cost of ownership really presents much of a savings (HD v. a car) in the longer term. There is some savings, but not as much as we all think.

But scooters, no brainer. They are cheaper to buy, have double or better the MPG, and have ridiculously low maintenance costs. I just don't like the "chair on wheels" feeling.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:17 AM
sbergloff
Road Captain

Gas mileage was not the only reason I wanted a bike; but, after paying over$100 to fill the tankin my Silverado with no sign of it going down, that was my justification for finally doing it. I couldn't be happier now, and am selling the gas-guzzling truck.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:28 PM
smartbait
Cruiser

I Love my 12MPG 2500HD Truck but hate being stuck in traffic to and from work every day. I rode when I was younger and always wanted a HD. I got my HD and now ride the HOV lane laughing at all I pass stuck in traffic. I HATE TRAFFIC!! [:@]I wouldn't care if having my HD cost me more in gas and maintenance than my truck. Getting out of that traffic and feeling the wind rush by me is worth it.

Quick Reply: A good indication of the Gas crunch.