Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auxiliary Lighting not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 08:49 AM
Demonsmasher
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auxiliary Lighting not working

I have this in the elec. section but no responces yet. I have the Auxiliary Lighting Kit on my sportster. This mourning on my way to work I was behind a truck and noticed that they were not working. I pressed the switch and still not working. Where do I need to start to troubleshoot this? Blinkers and main head light and bright are working fine.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:05 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts
Default RE: Auxiliary Lighting not working

There is no simple/single answer since the aux lights can be hooked up serveral ways. Do your's have a seperate switch for turning them on/off of are they controlled by the hi/low headlight switch? They should also be powered by a seperate circuit with an in-line fuse. If they are controlled by the hi/low headlight switch there should be a relay in the circuit that you should check.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:09 AM
Demonsmasher
Tourer

I do have a switch that cuts them on and off. Then also when I switch the high beam on thay will cut off, but when the low beam is on they should be turned on as long as the switch is turned on for them.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:39 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Then you need to find the relay & fuse for the circuit. It could be just a blown fuse but the fuse won't be one in the fuse block, it will be seperate, likely around the battery area. This is assuming it was installed properly.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Demonsmasher
Tourer

Ok thanks. I did take a quick look at lunch and traced the wires back and they went somewhere behind the battery. Atlest I'm on the right track. I'll have to remove the seat and battery at home to really see where it goes. Since I was at work I really couldn't see where it went.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:54 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i would first pull off the headlight bucket and see how they are wired up... i know most people will tap it off the main line to the headlight that way when you click your brights they go off... as was said, many people do this diff... the fuse shoudl prob be in the headlight bucket...

Old 05-21-2008, 02:16 PM
cHarley
Club Member

ORIGINAL: JRK5892

i would first pull off the headlight bucket and see how they are wired up... i know most people will tap it off the main line to the headlight that way when you click your brights they go off... as was said, many people do this diff... the fuse shoudl prob be in the headlight bucket...
If the fuse is in the headlight bucket then a seperate circuit wasn't pulled for the aux lights and that isn't good. The aux lamps should be wired off the battery on their own circuit. That circuit should contain it's own fuse and a relay that's activated by the low beam wire in the head lamp bucket, which in this case also passes through the seperate aux lights on/off switch and should then go back to the relay.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:43 PM
Demonsmasher
Tourer

Ok did alittle looking around. When I click a on/off switch that is mounted. I can hear a clicking. I bleve comeing from this relap in the picture. I took the relay out added deciling electronic grese to it. Don't hear the clicking nomore. From my on off witch that cutts the Aux lights on or off I traced two wire to two different locations. Here are bout of the picks. The part number on the relay from the pic is m923006 if this helps any. Still not working.

Wire one:

Relay pic wire 2

Old 06-15-2008, 09:54 PM
Demonsmasher
Tourer

Thanks for all of your help. I went ahead and bought a new rely. They must have changed the part number from a A to a B. The relay was the problems. Lights are working now.