Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster woes....

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Cerise
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nightster woes....

Ok, bought the bike used in January with 357 miles on it. 2007 ~ 1200N , stock. Part of the changes I made to the bike during the winter were to add the following :::

PCIII
V&H short shot staggereds in black
SE stage one

This is my fourth bike, but my first Harley. With all new rides there is an adjustment period of the little differences. I ended up having to have surgery so got a late start riding this season...I've only been on the road with it the last 2 1/2 weeks. I'm in Northern Michigan and for the most part it's still cold here.... was 31 degrees just the other morning when I pulled out for work.

I was surprised how comfortable I felt on the bike. I was happy that the pegs being in a different position than I am use to (I've had forward controls on my Honda for the last 5 years) didn't give me grief. The bike just screams, it loves fast and I spend a lot of time trying to keep myself in check...lol. I can't afford the cops on my butt.

The only problem I am having is the bike HATES slow. At first I thought it was me. The clutch is tighter than I am use to and I figured I just had to find the happy zone for low speeds to keep it from feeling as if it is chugging or wanting to stall. Now I had the PCIII mapped at purchase. And yes I did the throttle adjustment 0% - 100%

I've had the bike stall on me several times right at start up.... before I even get on the bike. Then the first part of my daily journey is on a gravel road so I am going 10-15 mph and the bike protests the entire way. It doesn't stall but it sure feels like it wants to.

Once I pull out onto the main road the bike is fine. By the time I get to the first stop sign (6 miles) the bike is warmed up and seems to idle well.

Now when I leave work in the evening I fire up the bike. It doesn't sound like a steady idle but it isn't stalling.... so maybe because it's warmer at that time of day has something to do with it... I don't know. When I pull thru the parking lot to leave work I have the same slow speed sensation of the bike protesting because I am holding it back. Once I'm on the road it's fine.

Now I've asked a few folks I know... the responses are as follows

Well it's a Harley that's how they are
Well it's a Harley so it's gonna be different than your Honda
Well the bike isn't broke in yet (only 853 miles)
It's cold out what do you expect
You just need to learn to slip the clutch better
There is something wrong with that power thing you put on there
If you had a carb you could adjust it and wouldn't have these problems
Just give it time

So now I am asking on the board for the other Nightster folks to give me a professional opinion. Anybody else find the bike hates slow and protests or am I just special.... ?? I want to hear this isn't something I need to worry about.

Thanks for the input...

~Cerise

Old 05-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Gnight
Cruiser
Default RE: Nightster woes....

Well I'm not expert..this is my first bike. But my nightster seems to hate slow as well, seems like it idles really fast as well until after it's really warmed up. I know this probably won't help much but just my 2 cents

Old 05-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Nonstop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Samething here. Nature of the beast.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:10 PM
gazaroth
6th Gear

Mine is the same way... it don't like slow. Most of the time around town I keep it in 4th, because 5th will bogg down badly till 60+mph.

Something that will help it out though is as you noticed, when it warms up it is better. I never leave the garage till the rear cylinder is warm to the touch. They like to be warmed up. whether it was 45 or 75 degrees, it don't like it unless you warm it first.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:35 PM
Cerise
Intermediate

Thanks everybody for the replies..... I feel a lot better !!!!!! I was starting to worry something was wrong with the bike.

My Honda was a cold start and I probably was giving it more warm up time since I was using a choke. I will give the Harley a lil more warm up time and see if it helps a bit. It feels good to hear none of them seem to like slow !!!!!!

I spend most of my riding in 4th as well. It does feel as if it bogs down in 5th wanting more throttle than I can get away with...lol.

~Cerise

Old 05-20-2008, 10:23 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

I just picked up a used Nighster and I have noticed it doesn't do slow as well as my big twin. In fact, the bike likes to be rev'd a little more than the other big twins I have owned. Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I never let my bikes warm up. Once the oil has circulated 20 seconds or so, I leave. I do take it easy for a couple blocks. I probably should let them warm up more but I have neighbors....

Old 05-20-2008, 10:46 PM
Darksyde
Cruiser

natue of the beast my a$$, stalling a EFI is not "normal" unless its operator error. im not being a jerk but i have no problems with mine. it has NEVER stalled on me, and it NEVER seems like it wants to either no matter what the weather is like. it doesnt like slow but what bike does?? use the "friction zone" at slow speeds. i ride everyday possible. the only time i had any kind of problem is when my PCIII wasnt tuned right, thats it. warm up? its EFI.......i would start with checking the PCIII. my .02

Old 05-21-2008, 06:35 AM
wilburz
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

agree with the above post. use your clutch when going slow and keep the rpm's a little higher. That will keep your bike from chugging.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:28 AM
wojeepster
Advanced

try light rear trailing brake and using clutch in friction zone, head up. This will improve your slow speed stability.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:36 AM
Mandog
Road Master

Bring to the dealer...An EFI should not stall before you even get on the bikeit at start up.

Quick Reply: Nightster woes....