Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster woes....

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 06:45 AM
Mandog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Nightster woes....

ORIGINAL: Darksyde

I guess I'll state it again, it's running too lean in the cold weather.
Even a stock bike in cold weather will almost stall at times in cold air just idling.

Are you saying it's the operator and there is no chance it's running too lean?
ill say it once more......A EFI VEHICLE OF ANY SORT WILL NOT STALL IF ITS SETUP CORRECTLY!! what dont you understand? i dont remember saying it wasnt running lean, i dont know what the problem is, i do know its fixable. sounds like a simple adjustment to the map she has, i had to adjust mine. you are wrong get over it.

ORIGINAL: Mandog

Fuel injected anything should not stall on a start upperiod.
its useless.....hey we tried.......im not gonna keep repeating myself

LMAO...amazing, aint it ???

Old 05-22-2008, 09:42 AM
sysint
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys can laugh all you want. I'm laughing too.

Here's your first comment: "natue of the beast my a$$, stalling a EFI is not "normal" unless its operator error."

BS. It is running too lean and it is not operator error, it's something wrong with the EFI or it's setup.

If you setup the bike to allow more air you have even more lean condition than stock.
To say just because you have EFI doesn't mean that you can't screw it up.
Initially you magically implied since it's EFI it can magically correct itself even with bad setup or potential hardware issues.

The bike is running too lean. Got anything logical other than that? ANSWER: NO.

Not until recently when you changed your story to say "if it's setup properly" and then acted like you said that all along.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Darksyde
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: sysint

You guys can laugh all you want. I'm laughing too.

Here's your first comment: "natue of the beast my a$$, stalling a EFI is not "normal" unless its operator error."

BS. It is running too lean and it is not operator error, it's something wrong with the EFI or it's setup.

If you setup the bike to allow more air you have even more lean condition than stock.
To say just because you have EFI doesn't mean that you can't screw it up.
Initially you magically implied since it's EFI it can magically correct itself even with bad setup or potential hardware issues.

The bike is running too lean. Got anything logical other than that? ANSWER: NO.

Not until recently when you changed your story to say "if it's setup properly" and then acted like you said that all along.
operator error- as in THE OPERATOR set up their bike wrong. i know its confusing im over this

Old 05-22-2008, 01:02 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank God I have a carbed bike..........[sm=popcorn.gif]

Old 05-22-2008, 01:20 PM
crazyiven
Advanced

One easy thing to check is the firmwear (not version of softwear) of the PCIII. Make sure it is upto date before using the maps on the PC site. Mine was out of date and causing a dead spot in the throttle.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:26 PM
sysint
Advanced

"operator error- as in THE OPERATOR set up their bike wrong. i know its confusing im over this"
All that back pedaling has me wondering if you got a bike with an engine in it. You saw it was a chick and instead of showing her you can **** on a tree you thought you would demonstrate a throw-down.

"One easy thing to check is the firmwear (not version of softwear) of the PCIII. Make sure it is upto date before using the maps on the PC site. Mine was out of date and causing a dead spot in the throttle. " -- Nice. Cerise, there is this outfit in Neenah WI called fuelmoto. Maybe they can be of assistance to you.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:37 PM
MacAttack
Tourer

My 07 1200R has a 1/2-second miss occasionally, 30 sec. after startup. Occasionally - when cold - it's enough to make it stall. But it just seems to be a cold-blooded beast, the way Honda 4-stroke dirt bikes tended to be.

That said - if it stalls more than once - I'd be looking at that PCIII too.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:45 PM
MacAttack
Tourer

[/quote]

I agree with what these guys are saying regarding the friction zone. I ride my nightster all the time through my town @ 20 mph or less. It's all clutch control and staying in the friction zone. [/quote]

That sounds like a good way to cook the clutch, to me. I can ride my R smoothly at 10 mph in first gear with the clutch out all the way. It's an '07, with 9000 miles. I think my gearing is the same as yours. I don't think it particularly LIKES going 10 MPH, but I'm very gentle to it at that speed.

Someone will now probably tell me I'm killing my bike

Old 05-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Cerise
Intermediate

First off I'd like to thank everyone for their opinion and all the advice.

The bike has never stalled while I am on it.... I know what the friction zone is and I know how to ride. Granted while this is not my first bike, it is new to me and there are minor differences than the bikes I've had before it. The bike also is not completely broken in so I hope to see an improvement in time.

The PCIII was purchased from fuelmoto and I talked to Jaimie via email before purchase and they set the map on the the PCIII to what I had on the bike. I did do the updated download before setting the throttle position. My personal opinion is it's not getting enough fuel right at start up. I could be wrong.... happens all the time.

Once warmed up it idles fine when I get to the first stop sign. My idea of warm up is to turn it on, put on my helmet, glasses and gloves... check my brake lights and go. It's not a long process. It has stalled maybe 4-5 times total in the last 3 weeks... every time being right after start up.

Does it handle as smoothly as my Honda did at low speeds...not hardly. I am hopeful that will change in time. I also think I stated in the first post I am still seeking the "happy zone" on this clutch so I can achieve the smooth ride at low speed without worrying about it.

The fact that I am not the only one saying they have this issue makes me think ok, it's not all me...again I could be wrong. I'm willing to concede that I am doing something wrong, maybe I'm missing something.
In all the years I've been riding I have always done my own wrenching and never taken any of my bikes to a mechanic or a dealer for anything. This bike is a little more intimidating to me at this stage..maybe because it doesn't have a carb and I think it's more complex...lol.

We're in the get to know ya stage in our relationship. I am hindered right now because I am not completely recovered from surgery etc... so I can't ride for long periods of time yet.

I'm not a natural wrench , I do struggle to accomplish what needs to be done. But I can get it done. I had doubts about putting onthe PCIII and the pipes etc before the bike was broken in but I did it anyway. I can't compare if the bike runs worse now than before because I bought it in January when we were knee deep in snow and ice and with only 357 miles on it didn't worry about test riding it first.

Maybe I'm just worrying about nothing....

~Cerise