Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster woes....

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 07:46 AM
Dango
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Nightster woes....

Never a problem with mine either. I'd have a tech look at it especially the PCIII config. Doesn't seem to be getting enough air...??

Old 05-21-2008, 07:55 AM
blackout85
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't bring it to the dealer ($$$) but plug the PCIII into the computer and check out the map (power commander has maps online too), they may have done it wrong. Also for the first 1000 miles mine bucked when going slow, now everything is smooth.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:05 AM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

My bike doesn't mind slow, but then again I have the thunder max efi w/autotune.

Sounds to me the cold start up rpm is set to low, that would account for the stahling. As for the bike not liking slow speeds, that sounds like air fuel ratio problems. I would look into taking the bike to a tuner.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:08 AM
kdogg
Advanced

With my ShortShots, I tried to idle out of my neighborhood and my work parking lot to keep the noise down. Well, I learned I draw more attention stalling than just reving the engine. This is my first Harley, and I've learned to feather the clutch more than I'm use to.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:36 AM
2kanzam
Tourer

I just picked up a used Nighster and I have noticed it doesn't do slow as well as my big twin. In fact, the bike likes to be rev'd a little more than the other big twins I have owned
+1

It's a well accepted fact that all sporties like to operate in higher RPM's...it's just nature of the beast.

As for the lugging at low speeds, you need to be riding in the friction zone until you get to about 10-15 mphs.....lugging the bike while it is still in it's break-in period is not good.

My nightsterUSED tostall while warming up when it was cold (about 40 deg.or less)....but once I put on my sideshots, air filter and dealer re-map, it hasn't done it since.....but it has also been warmer

Old 05-21-2008, 08:54 AM
SpiderNorth
Intermediate

Mine doesn't like slow either, and I agree with the post above that referenced 5th gear seems to want to chug in the 50 range. I've decided to simply ride the clutch in 1st under 10. I have no modifications.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:16 AM
LdyMjo
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Darksyde

natue of the beast my a$$, stalling a EFI is not "normal" unless its operator error. im not being a jerk but i have no problems with mine. it has NEVER stalled on me, and it NEVER seems like it wants to either no matter what the weather is like. it doesnt like slow but what bike does?? use the "friction zone" at slow speeds. i ride everyday possible. the only time i had any kind of problem is when my PCIII wasnt tuned right, thats it. warm up? its EFI.......i would start with checking the PCIII. my .02
+1. Idles great, no warming up, and the break-inwas most noticable in the need to shift at increasing speeds--higher thanstated in the Manual.I don't go into 5th until 60 or so, but bike does great in 1st and 2nd too--advice on the clutch and friction zone at 1st gear speedsis spot on. It will lug if not in the correct gear, and I've also killed it in 1st gear when braked at a stopand I wasn'tpaying enough attentionto theclutch[&:]. Only idle related problem I've had was thatmy 1st-gear idle seemedracy and sticky at one point during break in, but never again. Have 1700 on now--pipes, AC, SERT--runs like a dream. And like others said, If I was having your issue, I'd have it in the shop ASAP.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:13 AM
SHTFIT
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: 2kanzam

I just picked up a used Nighster and I have noticed it doesn't do slow as well as my big twin. In fact, the bike likes to be rev'd a little more than the other big twins I have owned
+1

As for the lugging at low speeds, you need to be riding in the friction zone until you get to about 10-15 mphs.....lugging the bike while it is still in it's break-in period is not good.
I agree with what these guys are saying regarding the friction zone. I ride my nightster all the time through my town @ 20 mph or less. It's all clutch control and staying in the friction zone. Once you get the hang of it, you will see how smooth slow riding can be. The bike shouldn't be lugging or stalling. And the EFI bike really does not need much time to warmup, IMO.
I give it 30 seconds and it's feels great by the first stoplight.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:22 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yours is a 2007. When was it manufactured? Look on the downtube, and it should give you a month and year of manufacture. I haven't heard of Nightsters stalling on warmup, but the '07 Sportsters had some problems early on. It has since been fixed. I don't remember exactly what the issue(s) was, but mine was repaired under warranty. Oh, and mine's an '07 Low; like I said, I haven't noticed any problems like this with Nightsters.

Teek

Old 05-21-2008, 10:29 AM
blackout85
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: Teek

Yours is a 2007. When was it manufactured? Look on the downtube, and it should give you a month and year of manufacture. I haven't heard of Nightsters stalling on warmup, but the '07 Sportsters had some problems early on. It has since been fixed. I don't remember exactly what the issue(s) was, but mine was repaired under warranty. Oh, and mine's an '07 Low; like I said, I haven't noticed any problems like this with Nightsters.

Teek
I've got an '07 and I don't recall hearing of any issues except for the heat shields on the pipes. Any one know if there was something else?

Quick Reply: Nightster woes....