Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has any long time riders not laid down/crashed your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 09:48 AM
plysat
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Has any long time riders not laid down/crashed your bike?

ORIGINAL: kelton3

Thanks for all the input. To some-- I'm not afraid, just careful. The first month I bought the bike, I used the front brake in a tight turn, almost hit a car coming in the other direction. I see rice-rockets zooming in and out of traffic, most likely they are the ones who really add to the statistics.
Have you taken an MSF course? If not... do!

Old 05-20-2008, 01:51 PM
Binny
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.....bought my first bike in march 1969[honda 350]......layed it down in the rain in Chicago that verynight............luckily I wasn't going fast.........

I have lived in two states [Colorado, New Hampshire] that have no helmet laws and rode alot w/o a lid, but I don't think I would do that now since I got lots of kids to leave fatherless...........

you all that like to brag about how crazy and reckless ya ride, BE CAREFUL, all yer doing really is increasing the odds........
......never been down since, and I've never been w/o a bike............I ride conservatively...........there were years my bikes were my only transportation, which made me more careful, riding in inclement conditions and such............

...........later............Binny........

Old 05-20-2008, 05:39 PM
FandA M
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

I don't buy into this stuff about there being only 2 type of riders, those that have gone down and those that will.

Of course there is always a chance of being involved in an accident caused by someone else, but many accidents I know of are single vehicle accidents caused by rider error. In many cases the rider has either been drinking, riding in a reckless manner, or just riding beyond their abilities.

I always ride assuming that everyone on the highway is out to kill me, and because of that I'm a conservative rider and never assume or take anything for granted.

Been riding for over 37 years now (and an estimated 700,000+ miles) and I've never been down on a street bike. Many of the guys I've ridden with for years can also say the same. But then again, I've been driving 4-wheel vehicles for longer than I've been riding bikes, and I've never been involved in a 4-wheel vehicle accident either.

I have dropped a couple of dirt bikes while messing around off-road, caused by doing something stupid on my part.

Totally agree.The only people I've ever heard use that saying are the ones that have layed down.I always thought it was an irresponsible way to justify ones own wreck and scare the **** out of new riders.I've dumped a few dirt bikes in my early teens but never on the street.I know it could happen at any time and I try tokeep that in my head,but I don't go out on the scoot with the idea that since I haven't layed down that it's only a matter of time.Just not a good way to think

Old 05-20-2008, 07:54 PM
85RoadsterXLS
Road Master
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: The Patriot

Been riding for over 30 years.

Last month a 71 year old woman pulled out in fornt of us. My wife hit the car had brused ribs & a concussion, I have a broken pelves. Were recovering.

Both of us were wearing helmets. We were blessed!

The bike is totaled.

Sorry to hear that Patriot. Speedy recovery to you and your wife. I have had asome close calls, mostly stupidity of cages (a few timesmy own), but I do expect the unexpected from cages and it has paid off.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:11 PM
daddycoolj
Cruiser

The only time I have been down is pulling into garage at end of ride and went to pull left foot off peg to access the kickstand and got shoe string caught on peg and fell over with bike. So embarrassed I cussed like a sailor for my stupidity. Bent the clutch lever a little with no other damage except to the ego. Learned to make sure shoe strings are neatly tucked away since then
Jim

Old 05-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

38 years and no road acidents. Lost my footing and dropped an Ultra in the driveway once.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

i lost my lights in a long right-handed turn one night. i thought i'd put boot down to feel my way till i got her stopped but it was too late. went kaplow in the ditch. was doing 30-35 when we hit. cracked my helmet and bent the bars. rode it the 1/2 mile home a little stunned but otherwise ok.

i also folded the front-end on gravel by hitting the front break too hard. was stopping so all i did was drop the bike on my leg. no real damage. just a scrape.

have not dropped the nightster yet.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:02 PM
85RoadsterXLS
Road Master
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

Non moving - was getting off one time and hung my foot on the sissy bar. Went down withit.Felt stupid as hell.
Close call - Was riding home on a back road at night (very dark), right at ahair pin turn, hit the brights and the bulb went out. Oh S$#t, going about 45 and know I have to turn. Just started turning and stopped as quickly as I could. Somehow made the turn and got stopped. I was just waiting to fell myself going off the road.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:48 PM
jjc1
6th Gear

I've had only been riding for 3-4 years when I unfortunately took a quick spill (aren’t they all in hindsight) and thankfully with no other vehicles involved (obviously my own stupidity at work on this one). I was headed to work when I was leavinga stop sign turning right froman uphill, off-camber grade and the bike did 180 degree spin with (thankfully) only primarily myego severely bruised and may right ankle sprained despite the boots, along with the broken sprocket coverwhere the mid-peg was attached. One of my excuses or reasoningis that in PA the state inspection should have caught this issue, but hey ultimately I'm responsibility!

Although it's completely my fault and mistake I also lay great blameon my ignorance ofthe condition of the tires that were as hard a 3-year olds airless trickle tires and should have been replaced long before. Although they (Metzlers) had plenty of tread and no dry-rod they can easily pass their life expectancy and extremely limit our own life expectancy! Luckily it was only a slow spin and not the imaginable other outcomes. My lesson was learnedthe hard way but safety from every aspect now crosses my mind; knock on wood (or my head) no repeats. Ride safe!

JJC

Old 05-28-2008, 06:14 AM
powdercoater
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a LOT of great inputs here! FandA M hit the nail right on the head, those that say "you WILL crash" are making a feeble attempt to justify their own stupidity or inexperience that caused THEIR crash. There is nothing like situational awareness and practical experience to keep you out of harms way. Always anticipate the worst COULD happen and prepare for it... but whatever you do, don't let paranoia ruin the ride!

Quick Reply: Has any long time riders not laid down/crashed your bike?