Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has any long time riders not laid down/crashed your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 11:00 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: Has any long time riders not laid down/crashed your bike?

I have been riding for almost 18 years, I had 3 accidents in my motorcycle life, 2 accidents are caused by my stupidity and inexperience(first 3 months new rider), the last accident was caused by alcohol, took my girl friend home, I rear ended a taxi at a light and his rear bumper fell right off, I broke my right ankle and stayed home for a whole month, thank god my girl friend was ok. These accidents happened over 15 years ago, nothing big but I do learn something each time, especially the last one, don't drink and drive. To be a safe rider is to observe, anything could happen at anytime, ride safely!

Old 05-19-2008, 11:08 PM
Azwethinkweiz
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to trash myself on dirt bikes and 4 wheelers all the time at my uncles house jumping them... Wiped out in gravel on my dads bike in a parking lot my first time on a street bike, bike was fine but I tore my ankle up bad because the bike landed on my leg. So far so good with my bike, knock on wood. Been in 1 accident in my car, rear ended in a snow storm stopped at a traffic light. Guy was in a mini-van yelling at his kids and hit me going about 40 mph, that was a blast. Luckily it was still early in the winter and I hadn't swapped out my 5 point racing harness's for the stock assembly yet from the Autocross season which definitely helped with the impact.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:57 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the first time is always the worst! mentally at least. it kind of shakes you up and makes you realize your not invincable, in a good way it keeps your more focused from then on

but you could be proactive and start being more attentive NOW haha

Old 05-20-2008, 12:32 AM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope....A lifetime on scooters and never yet scraped a knee

I ride crazy......wide open........power slides and burnouts.......redlight racing.....have always been like that......learned to push hard n fast on the bars and ain't skeered to scrape stuff....I ride drunk or sober, but always fast and hard.

My secret is I am too afraid to fall down.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:34 AM
AZCHOKESTER
Cruiser

I have been down once. I have ridden for 40 years, starting out on a mini bike when I was 5. My wreck was this year. I am very careful and attentive, I try to to anticipate the other drivers actions. I have loud pipes so i can be heard. This last feb, I was going down the freeway on my way to work, I was in the carpool lane and my son in law was behind me on his bike. traffic was moving along ok. A white Ford Ranger had been travelling alongside me in the lane to my right, his window was down. He was just ahead of me, his rear bumper was just ahead of my front tire. He suddenly, with no signal, no warning pulled right into me. I swerved hard to the left, there is a cement barrier there, so I went hard back to the right. Bike went down and so did I. Bike skidded on it's side, I rolled 4 or 5 times and finally came to a stop. A 3rd bike was behind us, he and a wonderful lady in a Suburban along with my son in law all witnessed the crash. The other guy on the bike offered to go get the guy in the truck, but I was more worried about getting my bike out of traffic. I was bruised and bumped, lots of road rash, but nothing to serious.
Moral of my long story is that there was no warning, nothing much I could have done. I had to take immediate action or be struck by the truck, which probably would have been worse. The guy in the truck never slowed down. Sometimes, there is no accounting or preparing for the actions of others.

p.s. I look for that truck everyday. You'll read about me in the newspaper if I ever find him.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:24 AM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: AZCHOKESTER

I have been down once. I have ridden for 40 years, starting out on a mini bike when I was 5. My wreck was this year. I am very careful and attentive, I try to to anticipate the other drivers actions. I have loud pipes so i can be heard. This last feb, I was going down the freeway on my way to work, I was in the carpool lane and my son in law was behind me on his bike. traffic was moving along ok. A white Ford Ranger had been travelling alongside me in the lane to my right, his window was down. He was just ahead of me, his rear bumper was just ahead of my front tire. He suddenly, with no signal, no warning pulled right into me. I swerved hard to the left, there is a cement barrier there, so I went hard back to the right. Bike went down and so did I. Bike skidded on it's side, I rolled 4 or 5 times and finally came to a stop. A 3rd bike was behind us, he and a wonderful lady in a Suburban along with my son in law all witnessed the crash. The other guy on the bike offered to go get the guy in the truck, but I was more worried about getting my bike out of traffic. I was bruised and bumped, lots of road rash, but nothing to serious.
Moral of my long story is that there was no warning, nothing much I could have done. I had to take immediate action or be struck by the truck, which probably would have been worse. The guy in the truck never slowed down. Sometimes, there is no accounting or preparing for the actions of others.

p.s. I look for that truck everyday. You'll read about me in the newspaper if I ever find him.
good point, I had this happen 3 times so far in my riding experience here in L.A. i didnt wreck but i did have to swerve pretty hard.

now though, when someone is in the position where i fear they wont look if they decide to turn, i give them a bit more space or i quickly pass them to avoid a swervy

Old 05-20-2008, 01:54 AM
Solitaree1
Road Master

yes, you are a statistic waiting to happen, sell the bike now, while you still can.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:46 AM
evilmonkey
Cruiser

44 years legally 48 actual on two wheels 42 in cages and never put the bike down on the street, several times when I was racing, Speedway, TT, half mile and mile tracks and twice on the road racing circuit. Never had a accident in a cage either! Knock on Wood and rubbing the bell with the other hand. The racing experience has saved me many times over on the street. Always assume the other guys is gonna do the wrong thing and hit you, the road surface will not give you the traction you need and ifn your not sure SLOW down and give yourself more time to react. AND definitely watch the mirrors they try to sneak up on you!

Old 05-20-2008, 07:38 AM
The Patriot
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been riding for over 30 years.

Last month a 71 year old woman pulled out in fornt of us. My wife hit the car had brused ribs & a concussion, I have a broken pelves. Were recovering.

Both of us were wearing helmets. We were blessed!

The bike is totaled.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:33 AM
kelton3
Tourer

Thanks for all the input. To some-- I'm not afraid, just careful. The first month I bought the bike, I used the front brake in a tight turn, almost hit a car coming in the other direction. I see rice-rockets zooming in and out of traffic, most likely they are the ones who really add to the statistics.

Quick Reply: Has any long time riders not laid down/crashed your bike?