Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forward Controls

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 04:48 PM
nolafishr
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forward Controls

I am installing a new set of controls on My 01 Sporty and removing the old set, the right side where the bracket is screwed into the frame will not give for anything, I tried the Hex Socket but the end started to break apart, I have even tried a pipe wrench to remove it with no Luck. I am beginning to wonder if the threads are left handed. Has anyone had this trouble before. I am removing the old forward controls due to being rusty.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:28 PM
jsand5
Intermediate
Default RE: Forward Controls

I have been told all the bolts feel like they want to break off. I think they are all lock tighted in. I took mine into the shop for that reason. Mine is in the shop right now getting the engine chromed and forward controls installed. The last thing I wanted to do was pay the dealer to do it, but I was more afraid of breaking a bolt off. I'm fairly certain there not reverse threads, just practically welded in. Good Luck...

Old 05-19-2008, 06:31 PM
SpursDarkrider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

damn i wonder if they used the permanent red loctite on the bolts?[:@]

Old 05-20-2008, 06:59 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: SpursDarkrider

damn i wonder if they used the permanent red loctite on the bolts?[:@]
That was my first thought too.....Oh and no they are not left hand threads Nola.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:21 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just finished doing what you are doing this weekend, there is an "e" clip on the back side of them that keeps them from comming off. Remove that before you try to unscrew the shaft that thebrake is on. They did use locktite so some heat may be needed.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:57 PM
nolafishr
Banned

I got the retaining clips off and got the left side off, it was a lil tough but not too bad that it would not come loose but the right side is being a "BITCH", I cannot get it to come loose for anything, I know they are not left handed threads but it did cross my mind, I will keep trying.
I may wind up with some Heat on it to Help break it Loose.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:28 PM
wojeepster
Advanced

If you heat red locktite up it will smoke and asmall 'candle' flame will appear. Keep on with the heat until the little flame goes out and you have "killed" the red loctite. They do this to me at work all the time and I have to get red locktited bolts out.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:31 PM
robster
Novice

Had problems getting my mids off to put on new forwards. Wound up tapping bolts with hammer, then spraying with Bolt Buster loosener then tapping and ultimately putting a piece of pipe over the end of my socket wrench and pounding it with a hammer untill if finally budgedthen while hanging onto the bike pulling back towards it. It was a chore more especially on the exhaust side of the bike.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:40 PM
robster
Novice

Just pulled out my set of old mids to look over the bolts. Looks like some white locktite at the end of the threads and a whole lotta black dirt/grease all over in the threads. And I remember clearly the side that was the biggest problem was the right side and trying to get enough leverage on it with pipe over my socket wrench and enough space to tap it with hammer underneath my exhaust. Was just hoping the pounding plus extra leverage didn't snap off the bolts.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:49 PM
TeachersOnHarleys
Advanced

They glob the red lock tight all over the place. I had to use a drill to get a broken bolt out of the shift lever. What a pain.