Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

detachable sissy bar installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 02:33 PM
my3sons
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default detachable sissy bar installation

I just purchased a sissy bar set up from www.surdyke.com which includes the detachable side plates, docking hardware, sissy bar, and pad. I am also looking into the luggage rack, but I don't know if I want the four or five bar rack. My question to all is there any unseen difficulties in the installation that I need to know from anyone that has installed the detachable side plates. thanks in advance for your help.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:46 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: detachable sissy bar installation

No problems I can think of, easy install.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:51 PM
mrb302
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only thing I can think of is to get the clip nuts on the rear bolts lined up against the fender brace before you start to tighten them. The instructions don't tell you to do so, but if you don't they spin and spin and spin... Don't ask me how I know...

Old 05-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Tdog1
Advanced

WRONG.
I know, I just spent all day doing it. TODAY
First problem: Make sure you have all of the star headed wrenches for the bolt heads to remove/install on the rear fender.
2: On the rear fender back bolts, when you remove the factory bolts, a little plate will drop out.
You will need that plate to again fasten the quick release bolt. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DO THIS WITHOUT DROPPING THE REAR TIRE.
There is less than half an inch to work with between the tire and fender. I spent hours trying to find a way to hold the plate and thread the quick release bolt.
I ended up jacking up the bike with my new craftsman motorcycle jack and removing the rear shocks bolt. The swingarm will fall and the tire will clear the rear fender. You now have the room you need to work in the cramped area.
Also, the turn signals are mounted in a place that will drive you crazy when you are trying to torque the rear quick release bolts. Get an extension arm for your socket to do this.

IM TIRED NOW.... AND GRUMPY
It is done though

Old 05-17-2008, 07:15 PM
chaos5
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mrb302

Only thing I can think of is to get the clip nuts on the rear bolts lined up against the fender brace before you start to tighten them. The instructions don't tell you to do so, but if you don't they spin and spin and spin... Don't ask me how I know...
+1

LOL, those kicked my butt more that I would like to admit. It's not hard, once you figure out why the heck it wont tighten.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:19 PM
chaos5
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Tdog1

WRONG.
I know, I just spent all day doing it. TODAY
First problem: Make sure you have all of the star headed wrenches for the bolt heads to remove/install on the rear fender.
2: On the rear fender back bolts, when you remove the factory bolts, a little plate will drop out.
You will need that plate to again fasten the quick release bolt. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DO THIS WITHOUT DROPPING THE REAR TIRE.
There is less than half an inch to work with between the tire and fender. I spent hours trying to find a way to hold the plate and thread the quick release bolt.
I ended up jacking up the bike with my new craftsman motorcycle jack and removing the rear shocks bolt. The swingarm will fall and the tire will clear the rear fender. You now have the room you need to work in the cramped area.
Also, the turn signals are mounted in a place that will drive you crazy when you are trying to torque the rear quick release bolts. Get an extension arm for your socket to do this.

IM TIRED NOW.... AND GRUMPY
It is done though
I think part of your problems may have been caused my removing all of the hardware at once. I did them one at a time, and yes the rear clip dose drop out. There is very little space to work, but youdo not havetodrop the rear tire (it wont hurt thought), I did have to lay down on the ground. I agree, make sure you have all the tools.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:41 PM
Tdog1
Advanced

I just followed the instructions with the kit.
Man, I have small hands but could just not hold that damn plate in place and screw with that clearance on my 883l 08. Dropping the swing arm WAS LIKE FINDING GOD for that piece of the install.

Im so glad im done. It does look sweet too.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:56 PM
Tdog1
Advanced

please, mark my words.
I want to help my bros and sisters

I KNOW

Old 05-17-2008, 09:53 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on doing the bolts one at a time. I found out the hard way that taking them both off on one side created problems - as in it's really hard to get them to line up again. Didn't have too many problems working between the tire and the fender on my 03 XLH.

Be careful with the bolt heads, too. They strip pretty easily. Make sure you're seated tightly before you apply the torque.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:07 PM
jblank37
Road Captain

Only had one problem on my 2008 XL1200L. Front bolts was no problem at all. I have small hands and I could work between tire and fender. The problem that I did have was with the rear bolts and that would not have been a problem if I had known to loosen up the license plate bracket where I could move the clips around more easily to aline the bolts with the clips. After loosening the bracket, it was easy. By the way, I have a luggage rack and it really helps the look. It does for me anyway.

Quick Reply: detachable sissy bar installation