Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back from the dealer - gotta tear apart the engine.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Amzie
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back from the dealer - gotta tear apart the engine.

[size=2]
Part 1
Well, the problem with using oil has been found ... not fixed - yet, but found. Thank you to everyone again who answered my oil post!
I took it to the dealer today with a leaking gasket in the primary. That problem is fixed, and I have a new front tire. I told them about the using to much oil, they inspected it, and I have to take it back in the end of the month for them to tear the engine apart. New rings etc, etc, etc.. Pbbbttttt! He pulled out the spark plugs (that had just been put in on the 10K service not that long back) and they were awful. Good news is - it will be covered by the warrantee! Whew!
I wanted to be able to watch them work on it - but it was turned the wrong way on the lift for me to be able to see it thru the window, and I wasn't allowed in the shop area. Pbbbtttt again!
Part 2
I had researched the Zena disk alarm/lock on their site, and had decided after the service dept. was finished working on my bike, that I would swing by Tulsa Scooters (listed as a dealer on Zena site) and check them out. Tulsa Scooters is a literal scooter store - I was not thinking this when I read the name .. but sure enough, real live scooters. I asked about the locks, and the owner said she remembered Zena sending her a demo model, and they had considered carrying them, but they were not a dealer. So after a conversation on how I really liked the idea of an alarm NOT connected to my battery (yes, I have read all of your posts of how much a P.I.T.A. those are, and how they run down the battery), she agreed. They went back in the warehouse and found the demo model Zena had been sent, and played around with it. Attached it to my bike, set it off ... etc.. I like! So she decides they DO need carry these after the 'not connected to the battery' discussion. So they order me the one that fits my bike, and give me the demo to use until that one comes in/I go back to have my oil problem fixed. The demo does not fit through the holes - but it does fit in the cut out. The one made for my bike will fit in the holes. It still goes off when you mess with the bike - and it is obnoxious for sure. It could be louder - but they said the batter was run down. That sucker holds 6 big watch batteries. He had taken it apart so we could look in it. But you can't get it open when it is attached to the bike - not possible. This little puppy is supposed to hold up to anything.
Part 3
The weather man was correct about the 70% rain. I was fine on drive into the city ... and probably would have been fine coming out of the city if I had not of stopped at my favorite Thai food resto on the way out. After I left the resto .. I made it maybe 4 blocks when the sky opened up. I am thinking to myself - GREAT - I can try out the new rain suit I received as a free perk from Rider's Club. I pull into a parking lot and I only put the jacket on - thinking it wont be as bad as all that.
So I make it out of the city thinking my rain suit is just peachy. I am warm and dry, all is good with the world. Except I think I need to put Rain-X on my face shield.
It proceeds to rain the whole hour and a half back. Semi trucks, super slab ... drench time. Well, I should have put on the pants - about the third Semi - my nether region is cold and soaked. The rain creeped up behind my leather chaps and well... you can imagine the rest.
I get home thinking - well at least the Rider's jacket kept my upper body warm and dry, and it was my own stupid fault my butt is soggy. AH - but no ... I pull off the jacket and it looks like someone took a shotgun to my back. The whole back is out! So much for that rain suit. Some cheap perk that turned out to be! I must have been a sight to see on the slab today. Wet butt and shotgun blast to my back! Oh well, they think any motorcycle out in the rain is crazy anyway.

So for the skim readers - my engine has to be torn apart, I have a kick *** alarm that does not hook up the bikes battery coming in,

Old 05-14-2008, 06:52 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts
Default RE: Back from the dealer - gotta tear apart the engine.

Sounds like it was very wise to get the oil level topped off before you took it in. Otherwise, they probably would have blamed the low oil level for causing the engine damage. Good thinking......

Old 05-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Amzie
Road Captain

Honestly I never thought of that. But this service dept. is really great, no funny stuff - thank God!
I had taken in ... maybe a month ago, just to talk to them about the oil problem, ... I told at that time that I thought it was using way to much oil, and was pretty much told it was normal. I don't think I communicated the problem well enough to them then. So today when I showed up for my apt. I told him I had added 3/4 just to get it to them with out hurting it. So he already knew what had been happening.
The mechanic that worked on it, was mondo busy, bikes stacked to the roof, .. and very quickly while blowing by me, showed me the plugs, told me the back looked fine, not the front - but he needed to tear apart the engine to get at the rings and did not have time to do that now. I remember when I took it in for the 10K, (and all the stuff that had fallen off it, including the engine bolt!)it sounded THEN like it was only running on one.. so this maybe could have been a problem back then? That they didn't catch?? hmmmm

Old 05-14-2008, 08:45 PM
SpursDarkrider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

at least its covered under your warranty

Old 05-14-2008, 08:55 PM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member

Thankfully, it's covered under warranty and they aren't givin ya any chit about it. Not to to laugh at you but with you, that's pretty funny about the rain suit; and that alarm sounds very cool.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48168/07A8E721560F408F85D570C257CA8F92.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-15-2008, 07:00 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

How did you get an '05 XLH to fall under warranty? Do you have an extended warranty?

Old 05-15-2008, 09:03 AM
Amzie
Road Captain

Capt - no worries, it WAS funny, I was a sight to see, and laughing at myself.

Thumper - yes, I purchased a two year extended. I have been rolling over in my mind if I wanted to cash it in since I never use it - glad now that I didn't do that! All I will have to pay is the $50.00 deductible, and the rest is covered. Nice since I just dropped over $200.00 there with the tire and the gasket.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:21 AM
trama
Cruiser

glad it is under warranty man. woulda sucked if you had to pay for them to take the engine apart.