Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Shock adjustment help needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 11:32 PM
99Sportster
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Shock adjustment help needed

Hello fellow Sporty gurus. I bought my Sport used and it was lowered. I noticed what appears to be adjustment notches on the shocks and I was wondering how can I raise the rear suspension? It looks as though you turn it, similar to a motocross rear mono shock.

I like it as is, but it bottoms outwhen wife and Iare on. Not that we're overweight, but this is lowered to where there is almost no travel as is.

Before anyone suggests it, know that I will be ordering the year specific manual this week.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:09 AM
plysat
Tourer
Default RE: Rear Shock adjustment help needed

ORIGINAL: 99Sportster

Hello fellow Sporty gurus. I bought my Sport used and it was lowered. I noticed what appears to be adjustment notches on the shocks and I was wondering how can I raise the rear suspension? It looks as though you turn it, similar to a motocross rear mono shock.

I like it as is, but it bottoms out when wife and I are on. Not that we're overweight, but this is lowered to where there is almost no travel as is.

Before anyone suggests it, know that I will be ordering the year specific manual this week.
You are correct. You'll need an adjustment tool. . . or *really* strong hands. Crank it up when your riding 2-up, back down for solo.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:02 AM
bigtop1
Road Master

I use a pair of padded expandable pliers to move the adjuster cam up or down. Works in a pinch and, for a often as it is needed.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:57 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The shock wrenches are good to have. I have one in my saddlebag, thought I don't adjust the shocks much. $10 bucks. bigtop1 idea of padded expandable pliers is more practical, though...it can be used for many other things besides shocks.

The adjustable pre load adjusts the spring tension in the shocks. It doesn't raise or lower the height. At the lowest setting, there is minimal tension on the springs, so as to give you a more "cushy" ride. That's why you are bottoming out while two up. At the firmest setting, the spring tension is greatest, thereby giving less shock movement. The ride will be harsher, but you won't bottom out as much.

The only way to raise the suspension is to get longer shocks. So if you still have trouble bottoming out, or find the ride is too harsh, then let the Mrs. ride the V-Star![8D]

Teek

Old 05-14-2008, 06:32 PM
99Sportster
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Teek

The shock wrenches are good to have. I have one in my saddlebag, thought I don't adjust the shocks much. $10 bucks. bigtop1 idea of padded expandable pliers is more practical, though...it can be used for many other things besides shocks.

The adjustable pre load adjusts the spring tension in the shocks. It doesn't raise or lower the height. At the lowest setting, there is minimal tension on the springs, so as to give you a more "cushy" ride. That's why you are bottoming out while two up. At the firmest setting, the spring tension is greatest, thereby giving less shock movement. The ride will be harsher, but you won't bottom out as much.

The only way to raise the suspension is to get longer shocks. So if you still have trouble bottoming out, or find the ride is too harsh, then let the Mrs. ride the V-Star![8D]

Teek

Good idea with the Vstar, but its already on Craiglist up for sale. I plan to give the Sporty to the wife while I run out and get a new one!!!!

It's a sacrafice I am willing to make.[8D]

Old 05-14-2008, 06:50 PM
chaos5
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The $10 one I bought from the dealer was CRAP!!!!
I had to grind the radius to fit the shock. Maybe you could get lucky, but chances are the cheap POS, made in china, and stamped out of sheet metal tool will give you problems.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:27 PM
1200Cdriver
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You're right, the HD one is so poorly stamped that the little nub that is supposed to engage the notches in the shock is rounded off and would not catch. You have to squeeze the tool so hard against the shock that its not much different than just doing it with your hand. My new 440s do adjust by hand, easily.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:09 PM
SpursDarkrider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i bought the pos shock tool and after trying to adjust the preload tension with it i threw it away. i just use a pair of channel locks with a big thick shop towel to keep from scratching it up.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:40 AM
Teek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, I hear the complaints about the HD shock tool. I have Progressives, and took the HD tool out to my shocks before I bought it. Didn't work. So I got the (I think)Kuryakyn? one they had on the shelf. Though larger, THAT ONE WORKED! So I got it. Still cheap, stamped, made in China, but it works. Not every dealer will let you try it before you buy it,though.

I just simply asked them if I could try it, becauseI had concerns with it. The one I bought, I actually adjustedmy shockswith it BEFOREI bought it. So,"caveat emptor".

Teek

Old 05-15-2008, 03:40 PM
mississippiboy
Road Captain

So in which direction does the shocks become more firm?

Quick Reply: Rear Shock adjustment help needed