Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone do the Sporty tach install from HD?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 06:20 PM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone do the Sporty tach install from HD?

I did it to Stripperella's bike. It's the black kit you buy from Harley - you know, you take your speedo and put it in the new double-gauge bracket they give you, and hook up the tach.

Has anyone ever tried deciphering the hideous phone book they call instructions? What the hell are they trying to do? I sat and actually tried to read them. It was the most discouraging, convoluted, unimaginable crap I have ever tried to comprehend. After reading the instructions, I figured I could probably perform brain surgery no problem.

Why the hell didn't it just read - "splice these three wires, into these three wires?". For crying out loud, one of the wires is a ground, so you only have to trace two of them.

Horrible instructions. The install took me about an hour once I figured what really had to happen. If I hadn't read the instructions, I wouldn't have taken so long to do the job.

The kit wants you to remove the tank, seat, headlight, visor, and gauge, then remove all the wiring harnesses back to the computer! Hell, if you're slick, you can splice right into the harness under the headlight, and if you use the right connectors, you can slide everything back into the old wiring harness cover (which is what I did). Everything tucks back in behind the headlight, without 75% of the work the instructions tell you.

Maybe it's so you get discouraged and take it in to the dealer.

Cannon

Old 05-14-2008, 01:34 PM
irishviking
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone do the Sporty tach install from HD?

Yup I agree. I did the same thing. Screw the instructions. Pull the rubber plug on the deutch connector insert the new pink wire and schrink wrap your good to go. I had to disassenble the speedometer to puill the harness backl through it but thats a hell of a lot easier than removing the tank.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:00 PM
grn2k1civic
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone do the Sporty tach install from HD?

hahaah that is a lot more work than needs to be done like you said i bet it is so you take it to the dealer lol