Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to forum 883 questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 10:26 PM
RandyS
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum 883 questions

Just bought an 883 custom , 2007 with 2000 miles (repo bike) from US - I am from Canada.
couple questions (I have not searched yet but will tonight) any help though would be appreciated.

1) NO HD dealer in a long long ways from me - do not know history of bike for service. Want to do as much myself as I can - what do I need to do to this bike for maintenance/service
2) what oils would you use? NO HD oil around and no amsoil dealer
3) oil in tank is good color, but noticed after driving about 2 miles that it was a little bubbly, not really foamy, but kind of bubble clumps on dipstick and top of oil.
4) tapped out now with money but want it louder - can I do something to baffles and how and do I need to take it in to get computer to change/allow for this change
5) what mufflers are louder, cheap and do not require any dealer work
6) No manual with bike -are there any online, any service manuals on line?
thanks - I have lurked here for years, and finally at 37 I got my first bike...a small one to start me out as I have not driven one before....I have loved the first 2 miles and feel good on the bike. Not looking to mod it out as I hope to get my license (just a learners right now) and soon move up to a soft tail.

Thanks!!!
Randy

Old 05-13-2008, 07:29 AM
bigtop1
Road Master
Default RE: New to forum 883 questions

Randy,...........Welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase of your new bike. You sound like a new rider and new rider to Harley Davidson bikes. You have a lot of questions to ask. Thats good. I suggest that you read as much as you can and utilize the search engine on the forum as much as you can to help answer them for you. In time, with what you read and learn, you will be one of the regulars on here.Good luck and ride safe. eh!
As far as your present questions, I'll try to help.
You've got a fairly new bike there, 2007. I would do the usual things like check for loose nuts and bolts, check the tires, check the oil, etc. at regular 5,000 mile intervals. These are usually done by the dealer at that time. You can do it too. I'm sure others will chime in on things to check as well.
Use a good oil. Detergent. I use Castrol Syntec 20w/50. You want a heavier weight oil to lubricate the air cooled engine. Having some air bubbles in the oil is normal and, indicates good circulation. You can make the mufflers louder by removing the baffles but, you will run into problems with the air fuel mixture over time and need the sert. This also may eliminate your warranty, (if you have one) so be careful of what you do. Cycle shack offers a slip on at a reasonable cost should you go to something other than stock. Most of the folks are avid E Bay shoppers with lots of good buys to be found on the site to choose from. As far as a manual, good luck on that one.Any way you look at it, you're gonna have to spend some money on that bike. If you don't plan on keeping it long, you should start hanging around the soft tail section so you will glean some info from them.I'll bump this up so the others can put in some input to your questions.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:36 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Castrol or Mobil 1 20W50 will work fine.
Bubbly oil is normal after riding.
Lots of manuals on ebay for reasonable prices.
There are quite a few slip ons that don't require much of anything. You just bolt them on
Welcome to the family

Old 05-13-2008, 08:00 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The first thing you need is a shop manual, especially if you plan on doing all the service to your scoot yourself. Mobil1 is a good oil. The "bubbles" in your oil are normal and just means that the oil is doing it's thing. Your scoot is fuel injected, so anything you do to either the exhaust or the breather will need either a re-map at a dealer or possible some sort of a EFI tuner. Would be a good idea, if you plan on getting rid of it anytime soon, to just leave it alone and ride it. Another site you might want to check out is sportster.org. All they deal with is sportsters. You should be able to find answers to any of your questions either here or there. Good luck with your new scoot and be weary of the "cagers", they will swear they never saw you. As for stepping up to a softail, a softail will be more comfy, but not as much fun as the sportster,Get them both if you can.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:03 AM
RandyS
Tourer

Thanks gentlemen! I appreciate the feedback. I think I will have the bike longer rather than shorter....and that is fine with me, but as mentioned I hope/plan to not put a ton on accessories into it as it is not my long long term plan bike.

I appreciate the oil information. I have to check with Canada HD eh to see if I can do anything with acquiring a warranty.

I like the slip on idea and will have to find out if that does anything with air fuel ratio and the fuel injected engine.

5000 mile services, so with 2000 miles the oil should be good or do you think I should give it a fresh shot of oil as it may have sat unused at the bank for a while?

Yes, I am a new rider and new to HD, and have a smile from ear to ear.
Cheers guys! Thanks

Old 05-13-2008, 08:13 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Even if it looks like new oil, I would change it, just for assurance that it is the correct oil and youhow old it is. I would change the primary chain oil too.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:23 AM
hogsport
Road Master

Randy,
Congrats on your bike.
I will ditto Bigtop with the addition of doing the 1,000 mile service now (starting with fluid changes) if you do not have documentation to show it has been done. I have bought some repo's in teh past and always assume that if the prev owner had the $300+ to have the 1k service done maybe he would have made the payment and kept the bike.
Ride safe