Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for all.............(I need help)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 01:13 AM
SoCal Harley
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Question for all.............(I need help)

I sold my good friend my 04 1200C Sportster last year to get my Night Train. I loved the bike but just wanted something different. The question I have now is about my old Sporty. He is having problems with the bike, It keeps on going off while riding. When you first start it the yellow (starter/fuel pump??) light comes on for a second and then the power all goes off. If you touch the wires on the left side battery cover it come back on and off. I got it to start tonight but while I was riding around the block the yellow (starter/fuel pump??) light came on and then the power went off for the entire bike.
I know this is a long post but was wondering if anyone has ANY ideas on this problem before he brings it into the dealer to get checked out.
I really appreciate any help.
Thanks alot

Old 02-23-2006, 02:26 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: Question for all.............(I need help)

If you can wiggle the wire on the battery and the power comes on you may have a bad battery. The battery post could be bad. I'd start there. It's a simple fix it that's all it is.

Old 02-23-2006, 11:20 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Sounds like a problem with the battery post or the connection to the post. Take the cables off, clean them real good and put them back on with a little grease or vasoline on the post and connectors. If that doesn't help, have the battery tested.

Regards,

Bill

Old 02-23-2006, 11:58 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Could be a battery post problem like Bill says, but is it the positive or negative wire you're "jiggling" at the battery? Depending on which one, it could indicate other things. Are both securely tightened on the battery? If you're "jiggling" the negative, is the other end firmly grounded (the negative cables have been known to be poorly put together on top of being a "smidge" too short)?

Thumper26

Old 02-23-2006, 12:06 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

If you touch the wires on the left side battery cover it come back on and off.
Assuming you are talking about the battery cable wires you are touching, remove them clean them with a wire brush or sandpaper and the terminals also and replace them back on the battery, see what you get then. Check to see if they are shorting to the battery cover and if there are burn marks on the underside or edge of the cover. If it wasn't the battery cables you make reference to here, there's a good chance there is a wire shorted to ground somewhere that is being moved when you touch the wires you reference here. You should be able to visually see this with a close inspection of the wires.

Old 02-23-2006, 11:47 PM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

had this problem with my 05 - pi$$ed me off to no end - terminals were clean an tight - turned out to be a bad voltage regulator but had to have it strand me to find out

Old 02-24-2006, 12:45 PM
burnie
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: terryt1955

If you can wiggle the wire on the battery and the power comes on you may have a bad battery. The battery post could be bad. I'd start there. It's a simple fix it that's all it is.
Thats where Id start.

Old 02-25-2006, 02:56 AM
SoCal Harley
Tourer

Thanks for all the great replies. I will be heading over my friends house on sat. morning to give him a hand and then we can go for a ride.

thanks again!

Old 02-25-2006, 08:20 AM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: SoCal Harley

Thanks for all the great replies. I will be heading over my friends house on sat. morning to give him a hand and then we can go for a ride.

thanks again!
SoCal Harley - do you and yer friend a favor - before you start the bike, place a multi meter on the bat positive and then om the ground stud - voltage should read between 12.5 - 13.5. Then start the bike and check the voltage again the reading should be higher than with the bike off. I spent 5 months having a bat go flat and pulling the now Ill start, now I won't, wiggle wires curse an swear, throw a fit, kick the dog - you get the idea. When checking the wiring, check both terminals for tightness and make sure the ground is not loose on the frame stud.

post back with yer results

Old 02-26-2006, 03:14 PM
SoCal Harley
Tourer

Well I got a chance to check on his bike...............I cleaned up all terminals and wires. put the battery on a charger and it was all charged up correctly. Put everything back together and tried to start and all i got was alot of clicking. Sop I am guessing the starter is no good???? Any ideas before he takes it into the stealer?
thanks for all the replies again!

Quick Reply: Question for all.............(I need help)