Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 11:17 AM
MrsLive2Ride
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield

I'm looking for a detachable windshield. Any recommendations? Don't want to spend too much on one since it would only be used on long tripsand won't be used very often.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:31 AM
bmkshort
Cruiser
Default RE: Windshield

I know you say you don't want to spend too much but I recommend the Harley quick release standard height.
From my experience the less expensive ones like the Memphis Shades cause too much buffeting. I have a 15" and a 17" from them and even though they look better on the Sportster, they don't offer enough protection. Helmet buffeting is not a pleasent experience. All that wind whipping around a smaller shield can cause alot of buffeting that is very uncomfortable. Its like someone playing the bongos on your head. I originally had the Harley one but sent it back cause I thought it was too big. Looking back, I should have kept it as the looks weren't as bad as what the buffeting from the sleeker shields have caused. I currently don't use a shield but a 3/4 helmet with a flip down face shield. I still get the wind blast on the chest but at least my head isn't rock and rolling.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:35 AM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior

While I don't have any real experience with the Memphis Shades, I've heard the same thing about buffeting with them.

I have a HD Detachable. Its a bit cheaper than the quick release because the hardware remains on the bike. Its not that noticeable when the windshield is off the bike, so its not a big deal to me.Plus that I leave the windshield on except when washing the bike, so...

I have the standard height windshield, and it makes a HUGE difference.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:37 AM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

ORIGINAL: MrsLive2Ride

I'm looking for a detachable windshield. Any recommendations? Don't want to spend too much on one since it would only be used on long tripsand won't be used very often.
Yeah that's what I said , only time I ever take it off is to clean behind it. Harley qiuck detach

Old 05-12-2008, 11:46 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I also have the HD quick detach. And I take mine off most of the time. Only use it for long trips, and in the cold or rain. They are kinda pricey. I found mine on ebay. I think I got it for $165.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:04 PM
TigerofH
Tourer

I've got theHD quick detach windshield and I love it. I got mine on the bike (bike was used) and its great. It literally takes about 30 seconds and you can get it on or off. It really makes a big difference on the feel when riding too. You don't have to fight the wind.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Terp84Alum
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bit the bullet and bought the HD one. It's better than all the others. I don't use it much but appreciate it when I do.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The one from HD is the way to go. The price is competitive with other manufacturers, but it is COMPLETELY removeable. The other brands I looked at left docking hardware on the forks when the windshield was removed.

I picked up the big "touring" model and other than it being 2" too short, I am quite happy with it. I'm a big guy and I sit upright when I ride, if I were a little shorter or slouched when I rode, it'd be perfect.

ORIGINAL: MrsLive2Ride

Old 05-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Skygoose
Advanced

+1 for the Harley Quick Detach. I got the standard height with clear windscreen. Makes a HUGE difference in highway riding comfort and thus riding endurance and I can still pop it off and go for a breeze-in-the-face ride around the block when I want to. A little pricey but worth it IMHO.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

For a cheap and stable handlebar mount windshield, try the Slipstreamer S-06 Spitfire. It goes on and off in a minute with two butterfly bolts. The narrow profile goes well with a Sportster. You can find them on Amazon.com for under $50 including delivery. For info: http://www.slipstreamer.com/Product/Sport/sport.html

Quick Reply: Windshield