Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slamming 03 Sporty

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 11:15 PM
skim
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slamming 03 Sporty

Hey Guys,

I am looking for super low shocks for my 2003 Sportster.. anyone know where they sell slam kits or that type of thing

Old 05-11-2008, 12:54 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Slamming 03 Sporty

Licks 10" shocks are about hte lowest you can go withough having too many problems. I wouldn't recommend these if you are riding 2 up at all. Also Progressive makes 11" shocks as well.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:18 AM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Userear lowering brackets with stock shocks....you can now buy ones that are adjustable...1-3"....cost-65 bucks.

Plus drop the front forks 2" in the triple tree clamps......cost-free.

Also add 3 degree raked triple trees.....costs varies 350 up to 750 bucks

I've got an '03 in my shop now that has all that done and it rides and handles killer.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:00 AM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the 11 inch progressive 412's and couldn't be happier. I also had the front fork springs swapped out at the same time as well.. some of the best money i've spent on my bike yet!

Rob

Old 05-12-2008, 07:14 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Biker Trash

Licks 10" shocks are about hte lowest you can go withough having too many problems. I wouldn't recommend these if you are riding 2 up at all. Also Progressive makes 11" shocks as well.
Yep, Lick'ssells 10" shocks, which is the lowest "Shock" you can buy. I think there maybe one or two other companies that sells them though. Although BT, I'm not sure about the 2up comment....The shocks are set for certain weights, (rider weight). Lick's sells a standard 10" that is adjustable, (3 settings), and they have a 10"heavy duty.My riding is a mix of solo and 2up, and I have the 10" HD.The shocks seem to feel/ride better withthe newGF on it, (must be the right weight with both of us on it).

Old 05-12-2008, 09:54 AM
ssbogger
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: YodaddyKeith

How do you go about doing this? Is there a DIY article on it somewhere?

Old 05-12-2008, 11:07 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: ssbogger

How do you go about doing this? Is there a DIY article on it somewhere?
I didn't see it listed in the Sporty DIY sticky, but here's brief over view....Secure bike on a mc jack, but do not lift the bike's wheels off of ground....Loosen triple tree bolts....Then slide a 2x4 (laying flat) under the front tire which will raise your front shocksup in the trees...Retighten triple tree bolts to spec. The 2x4 under the front tire will actually onlylower the front by 1 3/4" I believe due to theactually specs on a 2x4 size. There are other ways as well.

Edited: But you'll actually need to check the limit of how much you can lower yours for fender clearance and whether your front internal springs are soft or if they've been replaced with short internal springs. I wouldn't want to tell you to lower it 2" and then you crush you fender up from the suspension bottoming out against your lower triple tree bar...

Old 05-12-2008, 12:24 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Simple way to check for clearance before you slide forks up in trees:

Fully compress front forks using plain old ratchet straps.....(Attach strap to lower tree, NOT handlebar),and then measure fender to frame clearance, and fender to lower tree clearance......subtract about 1/2 inch, and that's how much you can drop forks.....Don't make this hard

Old 05-12-2008, 02:23 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member

Simple way to check for clearance before you slide forks up in trees:

Fully compress front forks using plain old ratchet straps.....(Attach strap to lower tree, NOT handlebar),and then measure fender to frame clearance, and fender to lower tree clearance......subtract about 1/2 inch, and that's how much you can drop forks.....Don't make this hard
Yep, that sounds like good advise.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:28 AM
ssbogger
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: WVHogRider

I didn't see it listed in the Sporty DIY sticky, but here's brief over view....Secure bike on a mc jack, but do not lift the bike's wheels off of ground....Loosen triple tree bolts....Then slide a 2x4 (laying flat) under the front tire which will raise your front shocksup in the trees...Retighten triple tree bolts to spec. The 2x4 under the front tire will actually onlylower the front by 1 3/4" I believe due to theactually specs on a 2x4 size. There are other ways as well.

Edited: But you'll actually need to check the limit of how much you can lower yours for fender clearance and whether your front internal springs are soft or if they've been replaced with short internal springs. I wouldn't want to tell you to lower it 2" and then you crush you fender up from the suspension bottoming out against your lower triple tree bar...
Oh, well thats pretty damn simple! Might do that in a few wkends.

Now that you've helped me I'll help you. A 2x4 is 1 1/2" x 3 1/2". Now you know.

Quick Reply: Slamming 03 Sporty