Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil cooler installation question

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 07:41 PM
bladesmith
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil cooler installation question

Installing the XL Premium oil cooler kit #62996-07.

Pretty straight forward but the instructions seem to be contradicting.

The instructions state..' attach the oil return hose to the 'inboard' connection of the oil cooler'

and..'attach oil feed hose to the outboard connection of the oil cooler'

The 'inboard side' to me means the side of the oil cooler closest to the frame (where the clamp is) and the 'outboard' means the side furthest away....pretty straight forward, or so I thought!

But when I refer to the service parts which has a drawing of the unit and its connections, it shows the supply hose connecting to the inboard (clamp side) of the cooler and the return hose on the outside!!....the opposite to the written instructions.

So which is it?, or does it not matter?

Would I be right in thinking the cooler unit does not have any check/return valves so the oil can flow freely either way?

(duplicated this question in the etch forum as well)

Old 05-09-2008, 07:49 PM
plysat
Tourer
Default RE: oil cooler installation question

Can't answer the Q, but i've been looking at that part myself. I commute on my bike, and spend a fair amount of time stopped in city traffic (when I can't get to the front of the line...) Think it'd help keep it cool in the summer?

Old 05-09-2008, 07:54 PM
liddown
Cruiser

Yup... Pull the direction for mine (not installed yet) and they read the same.... I doubt that it matters and would go by the length of the hoses to see if one fits more natural than the other...

Old 05-09-2008, 07:58 PM
bladesmith
Advanced

I do not think it will be much of an improvement stopped in traffic unless you included an electric fan, but when moving it should be an improvement.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:01 PM
bladesmith
Advanced

Hey, maybe you could check something for me....blow (like a trumpet) up one side of the cooler unit and see if the air flows out the other side, then do the same the other side and see if they are the same or is there a check valve of some sort...(mine is already connected).

Old 05-09-2008, 08:04 PM
plysat
Tourer

ORIGINAL: bladesmith

I do not think it will be much of an improvement stopped in traffic unless you included an electric fan, but when moving it should be an improvement.
That's what I'm thinking... cool it down more quickly/efficiently when moving... Plus, in my case, it would be a nice match for the Heavy Breather on the other side...

Old 05-09-2008, 08:06 PM
liddown
Cruiser

Yes, It blows freely from either connection, no check valve, just a clear path...

Old 05-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, in all those thermodynamics and heat transfer classes I took in college, we learned that surface area has a whole lot to do with heat dissipation. It's actually a pretty big part of it, actually. I could break out some paper and show you the math, but I'm too frickin' lazy.

Oil coolers do, in fact, work even if you're sitting still. They work a helluvalot better if you're moving, but if you're sittin' in traffic roasting, that oil cooler will still be pulling heat from your engine and releasing it into the air. And if your heat is anything like the heat I deal with, every little bit helps.

But, what do I know? I got A's in all my thermo and heat trans classes...

Old 05-10-2008, 07:34 AM
bladesmith
Advanced

Hey LidDown, thanks for that, I shoud have checked myself.

Bacon Grease....I dont have any A's in anything, but even I understand what you are saying

I am sure that HD Twins have enough hours on them to be confident that oil coolers are not necessary but with ever increasing emmission controls that cause the engines to run hotter, an oil cooler may just take the edge off and help things.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:42 AM
lutefisk
1st Gear

Hi, I have a 2007 1200C Sportster. I recently put Amsoil 60W synthetic racing oil in, along with the Amsoil oil filter. I live in Phoenix, AZ. Outdoor temp. has been around 94 degrees for the high. The engine and fuel injection is stock ( no modifications ). Since the bike runs so lean, it tends to get hot. The oil temp. dipstick gage is currently ata highof250 degrees regarding oil temp. in the tank. It has not gone over 250 degrees. It will be interesting to see what happens when the outdoor temp. hits 115 degrees and up.

Let me know if the oil cooler makes a difference. Does the oil cooler have a thermostat? Or do you cover the thermostat in the winter with a oil cooler cover?

Quick Reply: oil cooler installation question