Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The hunt continues - '86 Sporty questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008 | 08:15 AM
homefront
|
Cruiser
Default The hunt continues - '86 Sporty questions

I've been searching for my first Harley, trying to find a creampuff that won't break the bank.

I've found an '86 Sportster 883 with 3,000 miles (wife bike), double seat, HD sissy, highway pegs, garage kept and no lay downs. Private seller is asking $3750, which sounds pretty good, but I have a few questions about that model year.

1) Were there any design/durability issues to keep an eye on?

2) Is a belt conversion kit available?

3) Is this a good price? For that kind of money, overall, would I be better off spending another thou or two on a newer bike?

Old 05-09-2008 | 08:51 AM
jurob
Tourer
Default RE: The hunt continues - '86 Sporty questions

where are you located?

Old 05-09-2008 | 09:09 AM
homefront
|
Cruiser

Eastern Pa - why?

Old 05-09-2008 | 09:35 AM
NumberingRavens
Advanced

I bought my first Harley last summer. Ibought it for a great price. I paid under $5k for it. I bought a 2001 XL1200C for that price. See my sig. It needed very little. I put a new battery and new tires on it this summer. That's it. Everything else is mint. My dad just bought himself another Harley this summer and paid almost the same price I paid for mine, but his is a 1987. It is very sharp looking, but needs somework. The guy didn't tell us when we bought it, but it was an 883 converted to a 1200, which is OK I guess. He also did not tell us that it had blown head gaskets as well as an old battery that does hold a good charge. I suggest shoping around to find a newer bike for a little bit more.

To answeryour questions:
- Yes there should be a belt convertion for it, the '87 was converted to belt.
- That is not to bad of a price...but for not to much more you can get a much newer bike, with more readly available parts...

hope this helps.

Old 05-09-2008 | 09:52 AM
homefront
|
Cruiser

"That is not to bad of a price...but for not to much more you can get a much newer bike, with more readly available parts..."

That's my thinking too, but another way to look at it is 3,000 miles isn't much, and 1-2 grand would by a lot of improvements/accessories.
As for parts availability, I could use advice - are '86 parts hard to get?

BTW, that copper paint is sharp!

Old 05-09-2008 | 11:45 AM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member

'86 was the first run of the evo for sporties, its a reliable engine as you can see its still being used.

your particular year has a different carbuerator setup, they changed in 88, you should upgrade it becuase your losing out on power and performance.

there is no need to switch to belt when chain has run bikes for nearly 100 years. just buy a can of spray lube and spray the chain every so often. it doesnt really get evreything dirty if you do it right.

other than that, it looks good. go check it out and see whats missing, look for rotting on the tires, and make sure it starts from cold, and can hold and idle and rev freely. listen for any loud clanks or unnatural engine noise. test ride it if possible. and as soon as its in your possesion change all the fluids.

Old 05-09-2008 | 11:52 AM
homefront
|
Cruiser

All good thoughts, Joe. I'll watch for those specifics when I check it out, hopefully Sunday.

Yeah, that carb info is just the kind of thing I'm looking for. Is there an aftermarket setup I should look at? Maybe a carb/cam/exhaust combo worth doing? Or maybe just the carb will do it?

As for chains, I don't mind 'em at all - but once an o-ring chain goes, I'd rather throw that money at a belt kit that'll last longer than the new chain. Quet, clean, absorbs shock, it all seems like a good idea.

Old 05-09-2008 | 12:30 PM
jurob
Tourer

i'm in va and have an 87 that i would sell for 3kish, but your a little too far away.

Old 05-09-2008 | 03:45 PM
homefront
|
Cruiser

Maybe 2 hours from Philly, not too bad. I'm working in the Philly navy yard. How about some pics and details?

Old 05-09-2008 | 03:52 PM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member

To answer all 3 directly:

1. Yes, but only a few minor areas, since it was first year production for the Evo it had a few different key points to watch for, but nothing that'll break the bank.

2. Yes, there are SEVERAL from various companies.

3. Try and talk him down to 3500 or 3200 and that sounds fair...the mileage is a big indicator that if it was never laid down, it's most likely in GREAT shape and was well cared-for. Just take a close look at it for any obvious problem areas or signs of abuse.

Quick Reply: The hunt continues - '86 Sporty questions