Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oh brother...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 06:34 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: oh brother...

Not sure I understand how anyone here can say that maybe the guy doing the bumping didn't mean to - that it was an accident. Once, maybe. Twice? No way. I'm a woman, and a very nonconfrontationalone at that,and I don't think physical violence isnecessarily the best thing to resort to when mad - but in this case, damage or no damage to my bike, I think the cops would have to be tearing me off the guy.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:51 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

ORIGINAL: Perch

Not sure I understand how anyone here can say that maybe the guy doing the bumping didn't mean to - that it was an accident. Once, maybe. Twice? No way.
I've seen it happen in the bank drive thru. The car in back eased forward and barely bumped the one in front. The driver in front moved up a bit. The driver in the back did it again.....and again. The driver in the back was looking at paperwork, counting money or something and not paying attention. She did not have her foot firmly on the brake which was letting the car ease forward.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:03 PM
debbiesnacks
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci

I've seen it happen in the bank drive thru. The car in back eased forward and barely bumped the one in front. The driver in front moved up a bit. The driver in the back did it again.....and again. The driver in the back was looking at paperwork, counting money or something and not paying attention. She did not have her foot firmly on the brake which was letting the car ease forward.
Either way, it's dangerous, rude, and illegal. It's also considered a minor MVA. Not having her foot firmly on the brake and not paying attention STILL makes it her stupidity and her fault. It's inexcusable and I would have a few words to say to her as well at the guy in the tollbooth.

How can you empathize with someone that is deliberately not paying attention, or deliberatly being impatient?

Not saying, just saying....

Old 05-08-2008, 07:13 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

Interesting situation. I wonder if the van guy come from a culture where drivers behave like that? I have been in some places where the driving was way different than here in the States. There is a cultural difference in driving. I don't know what I would have done. I hope that I am wise enough to call the cops in a situation like this. I have too much to lose. But sometimes our tempers can get us in a mess. I know mine did a few times when I was younger. Aside from the legal issues and money involved, there is a real risk of being shot.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:15 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

ORIGINAL: debbiesnacks

Either way, it's dangerous, rude, and illegal. It's also considered a minor MVA. Not having her foot firmly on the brake and not paying attention STILL makes it her stupidity and her fault. It's inexcusable and I would have a few words to say to her as well at the guy in the tollbooth.

How can you empathize with someone that is deliberately not paying attention, or deliberatly being impatient?

Not saying, just saying....
Sure, the driver should have been paying more attention, sure it is dangerous, illegal? Maybe. But in my scenario, it is "an accident" and certainly a minor one since there were no damages and/or injuries. I don't think someone deserves to be punched in the mouth over it.

I've been investigating traffic accidents for 16 years. Nothing that drivers do surprise me.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 581 Posts

ORIGINAL: Perch

Not sure I understand how anyone here can say that maybe the guy doing the bumping didn't mean to - that it was an accident. Once, maybe. Twice? No way.
Three times by accident,,,,,,,,,,Come on now no one is that inattentive,,,, and you can't believe anyone here is gonna buy that story

If the Troopers believed for a minute that it even might have been an accident the original poster would have been arrested for assault. They obviously saw it for what it was and diffused the situation as best they could.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:37 PM
HDmartin
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: kahaone

How very "un-American" of you. [sm=boosign.gif]

And, if I were a moderator here, I would not allow such hateful racist comments on the board. You would recieve, at least, a temporary ban from the site. But I am not a moderator. So all I can say is BOO on you.

But,your's wasn't the only reply in this thread that makes me shake my head in dis-belief.

CapnAdventure, I DO NOT give you "props" for restraint, since you had very little. I could certainly understand having anger, and wanting to throttle the guy. But, actually doing it shows very little restraint or self control. Maybe in the future, if a similar situation arises, you will think twice before doing anything.

This is all just my opinion on how a civilized person should respond.
Wow.. this is an example of the Pussifacation of America. The dumb **** who PUSHED HIM with his van needed to get punched in the face. He needed more. The fact that he didnt beat the **** out of him makes it that he does indeed have restraint. I give him props. More people need to be beaten for their dumb *** ways. If we did, I think there would be less problems. Just my opinion. Jeez.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:43 PM
jwb47
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

capt. I understand completely how you felt. yes there was probably a better way to handle it but any man who has a back bone can only take so much b.s. and then he is gonna blow. I have done the same thing myself and later realized maybe I should of just walked away , but thats easier said than done and not one of us was setting on that bike except you and cant say how we would of reacted for sure . im glad your ok and your scoot isnt damaged .

Old 05-08-2008, 08:04 PM
flstf93
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i commend you for self restraint because if someone ever hit my bike i would do a lot more than just hit him once. that's for sure. it seems to me some here are not realizing how vulnerable you are on two wheels. i once chased a guy who pulled out in front of me( within five feet at 40). pulled up next to him, said wtf, and kicked his drivers door in... and i have absolutley no regrets because that guy could have killed me and just got a banged up vehicle. so i lived and still gave him a banged up vehicle.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:06 PM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: jwb47

capt. I understand completely how you felt. yes there was probably a better way to handle it but any man who has a back bone can only take so much b.s. and then he is gonna blow. I have done the same thing myself and later realized maybe I should of just walked away , but thats easier said than done and not one of us was setting on that bike except you and cant say how we would of reacted for sure . im glad your ok and your scoot isnt damaged .
Exactly. Now let me say, I appreciate everyone's comments and opinions, whether I agree or not. I ride very defensively, very alertley and let all stupid driver actions slide. I expect the unexpected and give myself lots of cushion. However, there is no way to prepare or even expect what happened to me . It was so bizarre, no rational judgement could be made at the time (for me anyway). I just cannot comprehend his actions, so I reacted. Now, after the troopers mediated and I swallowed my pride to apologize, they also advised me not to respond to anything he might say, so I did not. What he said after my 1st of 2 apologies was, and I quote "I've been driving for 12 hours, I'm in a hurry and I have a patient waiting ." The guy was apparently delivering medical supplies. This comment from him did not go un-noticed by the lead trooper, which is why I believe there will be no more fallout from this. I repeat, he did this intentionally. I will never believe otherwise.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48168/F04D38CB83F84BD386186B28971F11EB.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: oh brother...