Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arghh!!! Struts are back again

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 03:27 PM
georgiabiker
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Arghh!!! Struts are back again

Last night I went to bed all happy about finishing theShort Shots install yesterday. This morning I woke up and headed out to work, man they sounded great. Then I noticed, somehow,someonepulled thefactory shocks back off and put thosehorriblestruts on again! [:@]

At least that was my story to my wife when she got home a few minutes ago and found my shocks laying in the garage after we agreed to go back to shocks for fear of me killing myself or throwing her off the bike. Don't think she bought into the story, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Hopefully she will agree my bike loves the struts so much that it cannot live without them and we will just run shocks when she is on the back. Let's just hope she doesn't figure out how to turn on any of the power tools and go to town on the struts.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:38 PM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Arghh!!! Struts are back again

what benefit does struts offer vs shocks?

could you get a similar benefit by switching to heavy duty progressives?

not flaming at all.. just very curious.

your bike looks great by the way.

Rob

Old 05-07-2008, 04:12 PM
Scoob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're going to be in trouble. [8D]

Old 05-07-2008, 04:15 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

hey man... get a set of stock st bob shocks... they are every where and cheap! I tossed mine on my brothers sporty they look great!!! they are much thicker and give it a much fuller look, he loves them and i would have to agree... here is a shot!

[IMG]local://upfiles/26534/C8804908C8144020AAFF60D4A94CAF36.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-07-2008, 04:40 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe you have to dump her on the road at 55 mph to realize why they put shocks on the bike... Maybe she will still be able to say "I told you so" afterwards.

Besides the struts look like craP
ORIGINAL: georgiabiker

Last night I went to bed all happy about finishing theShort Shots install yesterday. This morning I woke up and headed out to work, man they sounded great. Then I noticed, somehow,someonepulled thefactory shocks back off and put thosehorriblestruts on again! [:@]

At least that was my story to my wife when she got home a few minutes ago and found my shocks laying in the garage after we agreed to go back to shocks for fear of me killing myself or throwing her off the bike. Don't think she bought into the story, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Hopefully she will agree my bike loves the struts so much that it cannot live without them and we will just run shocks when she is on the back. Let's just hope she doesn't figure out how to turn on any of the power tools and go to town on the struts.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:14 PM
txoval
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately I have to agree with your wife and have had my struts on for awhile and just this past weekend went back to my shocks. I had a wild and unsafe experience on the Freeway, basically the road turned to crap with different elevations at each expansion joint. Basically I had to go from 70 to 50 in a heartbeat to avoid being thrown off. After riding through that for 5 miles I decided the shocks were going back on.

I love the look and low stance, but it's not worth the risk

My 2 cents

Old 05-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

struts aren't legit. get a rigid frame.

rigids have geometry that allows for a better ride. i've ridden both and i can tell you for certain that you're bustin-up your spine for no good reason.

modern motorcylce tires aren't worth a damn for a "hard-tail". you want thick sidewall, skinny, tube-type tires. they always have a hard edge / flat tread so they don't like to lean (turn). you have to run the pressure low and you'll go through tires like water.

rigids usually get raked because the short wheel base will bust your *** on bumps. stretching the wheel-base helps lessen the blow, but makes for a springy ride. mine was so springy that the builder, the 2nd owner, my brother-in-law, and my dad all got bucked off and decided to sell before they got killed.

its 2008. enjoy your spine in 2012. put the shocks back on.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:50 AM
georgiabiker
Road Captain

Struts get a little loose in curves on bumps. We have good roads up this way and apart from the occasional bone jarring dip, it is all good. My back has been gone for years since humping 155mm across way too many firing positions, so what's a little more pain?

I like the lower back end and clean linesI get with the struts. If I could find the cash I would run Lick's 10 inch shocks. For now, the struts come out anytime I am bar hoping, cruising, commuting15 minutesto workor just around town. Anything more than an hour in the saddle and the shocks will come back out.

I have ridden a rigid, and it does ride better than the struts, but I don't have the cash to invest in a rigid frame, new seat, etc. Plus I can't remember seeing a rigid that you can ride 2-up with any comfort.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:03 AM
Binny
Road Captain

rode a rigid for a couple of years in the 70's when they were cool,and have needed a chiropractor since....they are brutal to your bod on a rough road.....ran across this pic in a 1974 easy rider rag....enjoy.......molded frame and all.sweet...

[IMG]local://upfiles/54718/8E2C5A2E453F453E918564EC7E84A4AE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-08-2008, 09:38 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: georgiabiker

Struts get a little loose in curves on bumps. We have good roads up this way and apart from the occasional bone jarring dip, it is all good. My back has been gone for years since humping 155mm across way too many firing positions, so what's a little more pain?

I like the lower back end and clean linesI get with the struts. If I could find the cash I would run Lick's 10 inch shocks. For now, the struts come out anytime I am bar hoping, cruising, commuting15 minutesto workor just around town. Anything more than an hour in the saddle and the shocks will come back out.

I have ridden a rigid, and it does ride better than the struts, but I don't have the cash to invest in a rigid frame, new seat, etc. Plus I can't remember seeing a rigid that you can ride 2-up with any comfort.

Why don't you just have your shocks anodized to match the bike. It'll give you a nice clean look without sacrificing ride.

Quick Reply: Arghh!!! Struts are back again