Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Not to Swallow Your SE Air Cleaner Screws

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008 | 02:21 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: How Not to Swallow Your SE Air Cleaner Screws

Don't use the red loctite Georgia, unless you basically want to permanently mount backing plate to the carb....It'll be a real biotch to get those screws out with the red....Blue would be sufficient.

Old 05-07-2008 | 02:22 PM
cHarley
Club Member

ORIGINAL: georgiabiker

After hearing about all this backing plate screw mess, I tore down my SE breather. The three backing place screws where there, but only slightly tight. Not a drop of loctite to be seen on them. So the kit came with loctite. Wonder what my local stealer did with the loctite that came with my kit?Now I gotta go buy some red loctiteand butter them up before I hit Myrtle Beach bike week.
I would recommend you get some Blue Loctite instead, if you think you might want to get the screws out again at some point. Very few things on the bike require the Red stuff.

Old 05-07-2008 | 02:39 PM
georgiabiker
Road Captain

I was thinking red so I could have an excuse to buy a new carb. No really I got the colors mixed up, so red is the almost permanent and the blue is the temporary? Now wouldn't that have led to a real bad day when I decidedtoremove them again.

Old 05-07-2008 | 02:57 PM
tom071200c
Road Master

I used the red on mine. If the point is for the screws NOT to come out and go in the engine why not use the strongest stuff? Guess in thelong run use whatever youwant...

Old 05-07-2008 | 03:01 PM
Fogoms
|
Road Captain

Well, you nailed it: it was a half-assed job. I called the service manager this afternoon and told him that I found the backing plate screws and the Loctite in their oirginal sealed envelopes and not on the backing plate. He made no mistake that the screws should have been installed. He put me on hold while he went to talk to the tech about it. He came back a few minutes later and apologized. Geez, if they can't install an air cleaner do you think I'm going totrust them with brakes and whatever else? I don't think so. Good thing I got the manual and I can wrench. I was planning to let them do all of the routine maintenance while the bike is still under warranty, but I just changed my mind.

Old 05-07-2008 | 05:52 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Fogoms

Well, you nailed it: it was a half-assed job. I called the service manager this afternoon and told him that I found the backing plate screws and the Loctite in their oirginal sealed envelopes and not on the backing plate. He made no mistake that the screws should have been installed. He put me on hold while he went to talk to the tech about it. He came back a few minutes later and apologized. Geez, if they can't install an air cleaner do you think I'm going totrust them with brakes and whatever else? I don't think so. Good thing I got the manual and I can wrench. I was planning to let them do all of the routine maintenance while the bike is still under warranty, but I just changed my mind.
My father inlaw(almost) just took his bike to the stealer for some work about a month ago. We are still fixing their screw-ups... needless to say, he won't be going back to them again...
These stealers need to realize that they can't hire any tom, dick, and harry and expect good work out of them. Then again, most of the "really good" guys end up opening their own shop... wonder why

Old 05-07-2008 | 07:30 PM
schumacher
Club Member

That's why I've always went to those guys with thier "own" shop

Old 05-11-2008 | 08:07 AM
jblank37
Road Captain

Can these screws be sucked into a fuel injected bike?

Old 05-11-2008 | 10:21 AM
Fogoms
|
Road Captain

Yes, they can. Same AC kit for EFI and carbureted models, same issue.