Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE heavy breather power loss??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 07:11 AM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SE heavy breather power loss??

Damn near anything is better then the stock A/C or the SE A/C. The SE A/C is a time bomb as well. atleast 3 members on here had mounting screws back out and suck into the motor.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:18 AM
Gulfstream
Advanced

ORIGINAL: spuddogg

I just had my wife go into a harly shop for me and price both an Arlen Ness Big Sucker and an SE heavy breather. Im currently in a far away land and couldnt price them myself. To my suprise the Tech at the shop told my wife that I dont want the SE part, that its more expensive and actually takes power away. Does anyone know? I tend to agree with the guy if he's willing to tell me to buy a cheaper thing not made by Harley. LOL. Please let me know.
While the SE Heavy Breather will out flow the stock setup it's not really that great compared to some of the other conventional aircleaners...like the Big Sucker. The problem with the Heavy Breather is the 90 degree turn that the column of air has to make...it has inertia and doesn't want to change directions. Now this is probably moot on a stock to mild motor but on big builds and drag motors you won't see these setups. If you're going to spend the money on a Heavy Breather consider the Dougherty Power Pacc otherwise the Big Sucker is good bang for the buck.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:54 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cant follow your logic on this, since the intake comes out of the engine at a 90 degree angle any air you get into the intake has to come from the side. If your intake is facing forwards instead of sideways you will get a lot more air forced into the carb...
every test/review I have seen has put the forced air intakes above the big sucker...
ORIGINAL: Gulfstream

While the SE Heavy Breather will out flow the stock setup it's not really that great compared to some of the other conventional aircleaners...like the Big Sucker. The problem with the Heavy Breather is the 90 degree turn that the column of air has to make...it has inertia and doesn't want to change directions. Now this is probably moot on a stock to mild motor but on big builds and drag motors you won't see these setups. If you're going to spend the money on a Heavy Breather consider the Dougherty Power Pacc otherwise the Big Sucker is good bang for the buck.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:41 PM
EricM
Cruiser

I've got the SE A/C and I just took the cover off. I thought the cover was counter productive because the opening at the bottom of the cover seemed to just let in hot engine air so I took it off so I could get cooler air from the front and top.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:12 PM
jwb47
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im sorry but every time I hear arlen ness I think of that screwed up victory vision and couldnt possibly buy anything he makes..
there is nothing wrong with the screaming eagle a/c it does an excellent job remember lock tite and a torque wrench are your friends.
the s/e heavy breather and force winder are excellent air cleaners I had one on my sportster and more than likely will add one on my dyna . the tech is an idiot.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:51 PM
jerryassburger
Advanced

How about the Kuryakin Hypercharger? It looked kinda gimmicky to me, but who knows? Also- can someone explain this to me- The injector throat is x sqaure inches. The air box on a stock air cleaner has the same or greater square inch openings- assuming the filter element isn't the restriction, where is the restriction in the stock set up? It looks like the only diff between a SE airbox and stock is the lack of a backing plate/snorkel. I haven't even mentioned 883 vs 1200 motors, which logic tells me that since the 1200 draws more air, any mods would be more critical, but on the 883, wouldn't the stock air-cleaner box be less of an issue, since it draws in only 3/4 the air of a 1200?
Hope this isn't too far off topic.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:32 PM
RooterXL
Intermediate

I have had mine (heavy breather) on for two weeks and noticed a big difference over the stock intake. Loss of power? ,I don't think so!

[IMG]local://upfiles/27117/A3EB9CF849F043D0B2FEBD600366622D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That tech is an idiot. The screaming eagle breather willnot cause you to loose power. As stated above, the motor will only take in as much air as needed.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:43 PM
HDHornet
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: schumacher

I like the SEhamcan coverI found....fits my theme perfectly
Isn't it upside down though?

Old 05-04-2008, 09:21 PM
kbflash44
Advanced

I've seen the numbers a super sucker will flow more.