Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm only going to make left turns..ugh

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 05:11 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts
Default RE: I'm only going to make left turns..ugh

It's the one thing I don't like on my bike, particularly if I'm wearing my cold weather gloves. My last bike had the switch on the left side for both signals and also you could just push it over a bit for lane changes and as soon as you let go it was off, very handy compared to the HD system where you have to press it once to turn on and once again to turn off. The one thing I do love with the HD system is the self cancelling feature.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:25 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Doesn't anyone ever use the 'already installed' throttle lock on their bike to put a slight amount of friction on the throttle?

I set the 'friction' on my throttle (by using the throttle lock, no need to spend money on anything else) so the throttle will remain in it's set position when I remove my hand, but still allow the throttle to open and close easily manually.

Just a little history, but the older Harley's we rode didn't even have a throttle return spring. The throttle stayed in it's set position, and had to be opened and closed manually.

The throttle return spring (and other features such as the bank angle sensor) were added to newer model bikes as a safety feature to keep newer, less experienced riders out of trouble.

That's why even on later model bikes (except the latest models that use a wire instead of throttle cable) they retained the throttle lock so you could add a slight amount of additional friction to the throttle.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No way am I ever touching a throttle lock - that's just asking for it. When I let go, I want that thing to close, immediately, and I'll manage it from there.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:32 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

Actually, I'd be kind of surprised if anyone under 40 years old even knew what the hand signals were.
OUCH! Now I feel old.[:@] Seriously, I still rideaHonda in addition to my Harley. You just get used to the differences with practice.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:11 AM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: ResQer911

ORIGINAL: cosmicHD

Is this guy trying to tell us he has trouble finding the "button."

I think he's on the wrong forum!
LOL...you're killing me...I'm the OP and a woman...and yea...I have lots of buttons, constantly being pressed...

Really? Well hell, now this string is getting interesting!
[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Old 05-04-2008, 03:23 AM
Teek
Road Warrior

I use the throttle lock occasionally just like OFG does...just not all the time, mostly on long rides on boring roads. But I don't set it so tight it can't be manually over ridden, or loosened easily while riding. I also noticed that when I throttle down I do NOT let the spring dictate my actions, so using the throttle lock is safe used like OFG suggested.I just wished it was more of a "lever" type mechanism instead of the star wheel.

The turn signals on either side took some getting used to. I thought it was peculiar and the other bikes using it on the left side only I think are more "intuitive". But then I thought about it. Having the signals onboth sides allows Harleys to have emergency flashers! Just push both signals at the same time, and you have hazard lights. I used them at my first Patriot Guard mission yesterday, and again coming back when me and the other guy I was riding with had to pull over on the side of the road temporarily. I'm used to the turn signals now, and I have small hands with short fingers and thumbs.

I use hand signals occasionally, but I'm fully aware that the vehicle behind me probably doesn't know what the hell I'm doing, so I use turn signals mostly.

Teek

Old 05-04-2008, 04:15 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

ORIGINAL: Teek

I use the throttle lock occasionally just like OFG does...just not all the time, mostly on long rides on boring roads. But I don't set it so tight it can't be manually over ridden, or loosened easily while riding. I also noticed that when I throttle down I do NOT let the spring dictate my actions, so using the throttle lock is safe used like OFG suggested.I just wished it was more of a "lever" type mechanism instead of the star wheel.

Teek
Try the Throttle Mate lever, it works great, especially with gloves on.
http://throttlemate.com/

Old 05-04-2008, 06:06 AM
rmcbride
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: cHarley

ORIGINAL: Teek

Teek
Try the Throttle Mate lever, it works great, especially with gloves on.
http://throttlemate.com/

I did and I like it.... Just wish it had a allan head screw and not the tiny philips head.. Bob M

Old 05-04-2008, 08:55 AM
85RoadsterXLS
Road Master
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

I have had the same thought about hand signals. Does the guy behind me even know what the heck I am doing. On mine you have to hold the button down. Try working the clutch or throttle while holding your thumb down on the button through the turn or even coming up on the turn for that matter.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:51 AM
ResQer911
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all..for the good suggestions...and the need for more seat time...it's nice to know that it's not just me that found it a little bit awkward...

Stay Safe...

Quick Reply: I'm only going to make left turns..ugh