Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do bar end weights\bar snakes\ taller gearing work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 01:36 AM
Shamrock
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do bar end weights\bar snakes\ taller gearing work?

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I've been thinking about getting a Sportster for years. I'm going to be riding with a buddy who has an Electraglide. Unfortunately, I don't have the money for a big Harley or an '04/'05 Sportster. I do have the money for used Sportster. Plus I've always liked the simplicity and look of the Sportster.

My main concern is being able to run at around 80mph on the freeway without being killed by the handlebar vibration. I've only ridden a Sportster around town and it was a lot of fun. From everything I've read it sounds like the comfortable cruising speed on the highway is not above 70mph for either and 883 or a 1200.

I've found these bar end weights: http://www.manicsalamander.com/products.htm

Another company makes a product called bar snake: http://www.barsnake.com/

I've also heard people talk about filling the bars with lead buckshot or siliconing rolls of nickels into the ends of the bars.

Has anyone here tried any of these methods? If so how effective are they?

I've also seen people talk about changing the pully sizes to change the gearing on the Sportster. Has anyone done that?

Would it be possible to make either the 883 or the 1200 with some kind of handlebar treatment and the changed gearing run fairly comfortably at around 80mph?

Sorry for all the questions, if you have any info on any these items please chime in....

Thanks

Old 03-09-2005, 02:53 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Do bar end weights\bar snakes\ taller gearing work?

i put a 30 tooth front pully on my 97 883/1200 and at 75 mph it turns about 3100 pretty much out of the vibration range and very comfortable from fill up to fill up. but when that glide takes off to pass a car and your behind him be prepared to hit the brakes to keep from running him over! these pullys are in the v-twin book somewhere around 110 dollars, i also run 10 " apes and they cruise very nice! good luck

Old 03-09-2005, 11:50 AM
Fackler Rebel
Novice

I'm new to the Harley family, just bought a used 2000 XL1200. Riding mine the other day with my wife and we hit 85 once for a a short stretch and I didn't think the vibration was bad at all. My bike is turning around 3100 at 70 mph. I love the feeling of that engine at idle and at speed and mine seems to be happy to run at 72 mph. I'm 55 and once rode from El Paso to Shrieveport in one day, all across Texas at 117 mph. I don't feel the need to run all day at 80, 70 or 75 on the interstate in plenty fast enough, for me. Guess it's and individual thing.

Good luck.

Old 03-09-2005, 12:06 PM
05RdKing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CONGRATS on the 1200 - don't forget the pics!!

Old 03-09-2005, 12:59 PM
Shamrock
Stage IV

Thanks for the info...

I'm not necessarily set on travelling at any particular speed but as interstate speed limits have gone up so has the flow of traffic, especially truck traffic. My experience in California and riding other western states is that the flow on open interstate is at least 80mph. I don't like sitting in the slow lane getting passed by everything.

Last summer I was riding on I-70 in Utah at 90mph (on a Honda CBR1100XX) and was in the slow lane with traffic passing me!

My plan is to rent a Sportster for a day and ride all over. I'll take it on the highway so I can determine the comfort level at various speeds.

I've owned various japanese bikes and a couple beemers but the Sportster has always appealed to me. I've just been leery of having one as my only bike (I can only afford 1 bike at a time) because of what I'd heard about it's ability to cruise comfortably on longer road trips.

Old 03-09-2005, 04:40 PM
nickleass85
1st Gear

I've got a 04' 883 and with the rubber mounted engine it's a whole different world than that of the 03' and below. I did 80 mph from New Jersey to Indiana with stock bars and had no problems on the wrist. Go with the rubber mount if your goin to buy one.... As for the gears i'm about to find that out for myself! wish me luck!

Old 03-09-2005, 06:40 PM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

65mph plus Highway speed will beat you period...

I'd be more inclined to use a windshield for highway use.

But then I've rode a Sportster and a FLH.

As far as gears, you can achieve a better crusing speed but what you'd lose around town could be a drag.

Old 03-09-2005, 11:42 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

Shamrock,

As I read these posts, I wonder if you know that the '04 and '05 are rubber mounted engines? That will GREATLY reduce the vibration you are talking about. If you can afford one of those, it would be the way to go IMHO.

Mac

Old 03-10-2005, 01:40 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree with Mac. Go with a rubber mount. It's not just the handle bars that vibrate. Your feet will buzz right off of the pegs at 70 or 80 mph. I got rid of my 1987 Heritage because the vibration was so bad that I felt beat up after a couple hundred miles. Plus, you are always having to tighten bolts, and put things back on. At 70 MPH the mirrors will probably shake so bad that they will be virtually useless.

I am a real baby when it comes to vibration, so don't put too much stock in this opinion. Some people like it, or at least are not too sensitive to it. To me, it's as irritating as someone scratching a blackboard.

Regards,

Bill

Old 03-10-2005, 02:52 AM
Shamrock
Stage IV

I do know that the '04 and newer Sportsters are rubber mounted. It just doesn't look like my finances will allow a purchase of one. Maybe I can find a deal on an '04? I thought that if I could get an '03 or older for a good price and fill the handlebars with buck shot, maybe change one or both pulleys then I would have a decent bike for highway cruising without breaking the bank...

Quick Reply: Do bar end weights\bar snakes\ taller gearing work?