Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do bar end weights\bar snakes\ taller gearing work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 08:17 AM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Do bar end weights\bar snakes\ taller gearing work?

Shamrock, what's your checkbook say you can spend?
If you're willing to pay as you go, you could always find a light wreck and repair it yourself.

It's just an idea.

Old 03-10-2005, 09:01 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Shamrock

I do know that the '04 and newer Sportsters are rubber mounted. It just doesn't look like my finances will allow a purchase of one. Maybe I can find a deal on an '04? I thought that if I could get an '03 or older for a good price and fill the handlebars with buck shot, maybe change one or both pulleys then I would have a decent bike for highway cruising without breaking the bank...

I did a little looking around on eBay for you (not the answer but an indicator). The '04s aren't really too much more expensive.

When buying these things its a game. The more money you have, the less you wait for what you want. The less money, the more time you spend looking. Time = Money.

Be patient, if you know what you want (rubber mounted for example), wait, look, be patient, and you will get it. In the mean time, you'll be able to stash away another couple of hundred bones and make it that much easier to find what you want!

Mac

Old 03-10-2005, 09:28 AM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well put Mac... it's all about filling your want and need. Be patient!

Old 03-10-2005, 02:18 PM
Shamrock
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the ideas... I've also noticed that the asking prices between used rigid and rubber mount Sportsters isn't too far off sometimes but I'm guessing the people selling rigid ones will have settle for less $$ since rubber mounts are on the market. There seems to be a lot of used rigid mount Sportsters out there so more opportunity for bargains and bargaining power due to lots of competition. I've seen a few used '04 883's for sale. I haven't called yet, but I saw an ad for a local Harley shop which was selling new '04 883's below MSRP.

Looks like I can rent a Sportster around $60-$75/day so I'm planning on doing that before I buy anything. Not sure if the places are renting the rubber mount or not. I'd like to ride the rigid mount on the freeway to see what it's like.

I searched the archives on Sportster.org and found many posts of people who'd been able to reduce (some claimed to almost totally eliminate) the high speed vibration by filling their handlebars with lead buckshort or weighting the ends somehow and/or they put some aftermarket urathane bushing on the handlebar clamp...

Just trying to explore options. My friends are going on a bike trip in June and I don't want to be rushed to settle on something at the last minute.

Old 03-13-2005, 03:46 PM
Ragin_Republican
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have to agree with the vibration thing. Took mine out on the highway this weekend for my first long cruise and as i got up to around 70 mph the vibration was enough to render my mirrors useless, my feet went numb from the peg vibration, and I think I am now sterile!! (Dont need any more kids anyways!) I was able to ease the tension on my ankles by resting the backs of my heals on top of the foot pegs, but thats not very safe and I dont recommend it. I also live in Kansas and the open road is really, really windy this time of year. With 40 mph crosswinds I spent most of the ride at a 45 degree angle. Like being in a constant turn.

Old 03-14-2005, 04:55 PM
CSR
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm surprised that no one has brought up the M6 chain tensioner. At about $100 plus the gasket and oil to install, it's not a bad price. I've heard from a number of source, it the best way to dampen vibration. I do plan to install one on my 99 1200 Sport.