Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Injector Cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 12:41 PM
FloridaDrafter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Injector Cleaner?

I'm refering to the stuff you add to your fuel from time to time. Is this something that should be incuded in routine maintenance? Do any of you do it? If so, what do you use and how often?

Thanx for any info

-Andy

Old 04-29-2008, 12:47 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Injector Cleaner?

If you run name brand gas like, Shell, Chevron, Texaco, Sunoco, etc. these fuels all contain fuel system cleaner additives and do a good job of keeping the carb - injectors clean. I still run a tank of gas with Seafoam in it every 6 months or so just for "feel good" insurance.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:17 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I haven't but I'm sure it would not hurt anything as long as you use the right amount.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:09 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run startron or seafoam intermittently in my boat and bike, reason.... E10 fuel sucks, it absorbs moisture in the air as well as loosening gunk or varnish in tanks/carbs clogging lines, jets etc. I recently had a serious issue with ehtanol fuel causing my boat engine to stall and notrun and after checking filters and carbs sure enough, lots of gunk and water in fuel.Out of curiousity and my bike running different I checked my float bowl and sure enough same gunk. The additives help immensely for carbed engines and I would venture to say the same of injection systems. I run my bike daily and lots of miles per week but if you only ride a few times per week and fuel sits its a good idea to use additives from time to time.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:42 PM
FloridaDrafter
Tourer

Thanx Everyone. I've been running BP about 80% of the time, mainly because it is close by. About a month ago, I stopped at my BP and filled up and saw the dreaded "Contains 10% Ethenol" plackard on the pump. I've been avoiding this stuff like the plague but decided to go ahead and give it a try. I noticed that it started the little stumble on cold start after that. I bought the bike in December of 06' and this is the first time it's done that. To make it worse, sometimes it right out dies when I just start to twist the throtle while its warming up. On 2 occasions while getting on it, pulling out into traffic from a dead stop, it's stumbled. It didn't die and took right on off, but still was a little scary considering the idiots that would just a soon run yur *** over. LOL.. I did take the bike in (I trust the guys at my shop) and the fuel presure was perfect and everything was OK. The problem was, I had filled up with non-alkeehol Exxon petro before I took it in, and wouldn't you know it, I haven't had a problem since.
I'm not totally convinced that the problem was the ethenol, so I figured I would try an additive and see what happens.

Thanx again.

-Andy

Old 04-29-2008, 03:05 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I have been using the 10% ethanol with no problems, it's the only station in town (small town) that has a dedicated hose for premimum, I hate using the pumps with one hose for all grades as you end upputtinga hose full of regular gas in before the premimum comes thru and by that time the tank is full of regular.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:27 PM
FloridaDrafter
Tourer

ORIGINAL: HOTLAP

I have been using the 10% ethanol with no problems, it's the only station in town (small town) that has a dedicated hose for premimum, I hate using the pumps with one hose for all grades as you end upputtinga hose full of regular gas in before the premimum comes thru and by that time the tank is full of regular.
Thanx man, that's goodto know.
LOL, I also go for the 3 hose pumps

Old 04-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Demonsmasher
Tourer

Around Notrh GA I have yet to see any station that didn't have 10% Eth.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:00 PM
FloridaDrafter
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Demonsmasher

Around Notrh GA I have yet to see any station that didn't have 10% Eth.
There are quite a few here in Jacksonville that are still 100%, at least it's easy to find one if you want. Just a little over a year ago or so, the only gasohol here was at the Racetrac brand stations, now it's showing up all over. I've read so much crap, good and bad, that I really don't know what to beleive. I do know one thing for sure... It's not any cheaper. I think I'm going to convert mine to run on bacon grease and hair oil

Old 04-29-2008, 05:03 PM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuel injector cleaner = high octane gas....91 or above will keep em working just fine.

Oh and +1 on the Seafoam, although I use it more as a means of cleaning out my heads than anything. As long as your bike doesn't sit too often, you shouldn't have to worry about anything but the O rings for the injectors...and even then...that's pretty far off for a new bike. Just running it cleans em.

Quick Reply: Fuel Injector Cleaner?