Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glasses vs Goggles

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:28 AM
MrsLive2Ride
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glasses vs Goggles

I need to wear glasses when riding andI looked at percriptions but they are expensive. Any recommendations? Do google over glasses work or am I better off going with a prescription? Also found fitover glasses. Has one tried these?

Old 04-28-2008, 10:47 AM
mrb302
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Glasses vs Goggles

Just one more reason that I wear contacts. I can't stand glasses.

If you can't wear contacts for some reason, any goggles that fit over your glasses should work. I've seen some pretty large goggles at most bike shops. Worse case you could get some solid black "off-road" dirt bike style goggles.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:31 AM
tiger_rider
Tourer

Contacts are a great solution

Don't buy goggles without trying them with your glasses. My wife bought some that were supposed to work with glasses and they didn't for her.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:38 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Some obvious solutions are: contacts, faceshield, full-face....

If none of those are a solution for you, the go for the super-size overgoggles, but try them over your glass first. I'd suggest going to your optician. A good one will know her/his stuff.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:59 AM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i got a nice pair of "Guard Dogz" goggles, they fit over my glasses, but have a very thin profile, they are not overly huge at all, got them for 40 bucks at my dealer, i asked to see the cheapest over glasses goggles. they also block out the wind and are very comfortable.

go to your dealer and try some on. mine came with two soft cases and changeable lenses for day/night

Old 04-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Stefan
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't do contacts.
I have an odd grind to my lenses that does not work with wrap-arround lenses.
I use Bolle Vigilante glasses. They have changable dark and clear lenses and a perscription insert.

They are still glasses. Bugs, water (rain), dustand wind can still get arround them at times. Watering eyes does happen but not always. They are easier to pack in a saddle bag than a clear windscreen for a full face helmet & don't cause the problems that contacts cause. I do ride with and without a windshield & use a 1/2 helm, not a full helm, even in winter.

I don't recall what internet place I bought them. The perscription insert does require lenses to be ground by an optometrist.

http://www.bolle.com/main/

Old 04-28-2008, 01:24 PM
hogsport
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Wiley X XL1 goggles with prescript lenses - they are great about $170 with fixed tint or $270 with transition lenses (what I got) this includes the prscription lenses. I had the over lenses goggles when I first got the bike, I noticed a lot more wind buffeting of those goggles, none with the Wiley x.
Gotta see to ride!

Old 04-28-2008, 02:58 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I got to the point where I had to wear glasses to ride safely and legally I just went to a full face helmet not a perfect solution but far superior to any open face helmet and glasses or goggle combo I've ever tried.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:56 PM
quig
Tourer

I have some over glasses goggles that work ok. I finally got contacts and that the best for me. I was told by an eye doc that because of my astigmatism I couldmt wear contacts, another doc got me ones for astig now just need readers.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:45 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member

If you wear any kind of helment I think it would be hard to wear goggles, with the goggle strap being pushed down when you put the helment on.

Quick Reply: Glasses vs Goggles